A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,462
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CRAFT-RELATED mispronunciations! 'fess up!  (Read 24707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2005 06:30:47 PM »

I juse remembered something that my dad says all the time.  He calls Craftster "Crapster".  Not so much a mispronunciation as it is a misunderstanding.  My dad has hearing problems and totally thought that I actually said "Crapster".  Now he says it just to irritate me.  One day I am going to kick that man.  Hehe.

But really, I love my dad.  He's just a little nuts.

My dad calls it "Craft-Master"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
serenityinsleep
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2005 08:04:15 PM »

*snickers at crapster and craft-master*  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2005 08:16:51 PM »

*snickers at crapster and craft-master*  Cheesy

*gives mad props for the DS avatar*

I love li'l John Stamos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2005 10:09:41 PM »

I'm from Nebraska, and while most people substituted "d"s for "t"s (as in, "wadder" for "water") I've been mocked for over enunciating my Ts.  I say "kit-ten," "cot-ton," "but-ton," etc....

I once pronounced "Skacel" wrong in front of the the editor of Knitter's and his assistant.  She very snootily informed me that it is "ska-CELL" not "SKA-cil."  (Okay, I was very wrong, but did she have to be so snooty?)

And how about this...I know I pronounce my last name wrong.  It's Limoges.  But my family?  We say "Luh-MUSH."  I have no idea why.  1/2 the family says "Luh-MOHZ" (phonetically, does anyone get what I mean?), but not my 1/2.  I had a class with a girl from the Luh-MOHZ 1/2, and the teacher asked us why we pronounced it differently.  She said she heard that we got off the boat and were told to pick a last name.  We picked Limoges, but couldn't pronoucne it.  In the 70s, one of her uncles started dating a girl who had spent time in France, and she asked, "Why are you all pronouncing your name wrong?"  So that 1/2 started saying it "correctly," whilst my 1/2 called them uppity and continued to say Luh-MUSH.  Of course, when I tell people how to pronounce my name, I get the strangest looks.  I can't wait to get married.  (He's and Oster.  Rhymes with "toaster."  It can and has been said "AH-ster," but at least it's understandable.  I can't tell you how many ways I've heard my name said.)  So can one of you French experts tell me how I SHOULD say Limoges?  Roll Eyes

Okay...I'm only 1/2 way thru the thread, but I must post this, or it will be WAY too long for anyone to read thru!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006 11:21:51 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
cait7421
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2005 09:30:49 AM »

im a texan, born and raised, and i say crown, instead of cray-on or cran.

and the pen/pin thing. for me, those two words sound exactly the same
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006 11:23:35 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

make something everyone will call a statement, but you'll just call it a random thursday
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2005 12:32:44 PM »

I used to pronounce "gauze" as "gays"  I got a lot of funny loooks whnever I said...."I love gauze (using old pronunciation), it feels so good!"  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carleigh
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2005 02:43:00 PM »

I used to pronounce "gauze" as "gays"  I got a lot of funny loooks whnever I said...."I love gauze (using old pronunciation), it feels so good!"  

rotfl  Cheesy
that is too funny.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
RaeAmazon

The Amazon Woman of North America

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2005 01:29:01 PM »

OK, I'm going to add to this thread with a shameful confession....I don't know how to pronounce "pailettes"! Is it Pay-lets? Pilots? Palettes? Pellets?  Someone save me from asking where the giant sequins are!  Embarrassed

It's French, so it's basically like this "pai-yetts."  Hard to type things as they should be pronounced without the phonetic alphabet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a writer but I still believe this:

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower.
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

and unto them he said "borange"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2005 12:31:48 AM »

my mum was talking to this lady and the lady said "oh gosh look at the loverly fourlage on that tree" instead of foilage
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
mreld
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2005 07:31:27 AM »

i don't have the time right now to read all 48 pages of this post, but when i saw it, i just had to reply and ask:
how in the heck do you pronounce cabochon? (hopefully i'm even spelling it right, lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little corner of the internet: http://theknacksofnic.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Volume Browser in Lightroom 2
Working Efficiently with Presets in Lightroom 2
Local Correction in Adobe Lightroom
How to Extend Depth of Field in CS4
How to Crop in Photoshop CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...