A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fair Isle Owl Not Quite Right - Help Appreciated :)  (Read 752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

echo_brook
Mollusks inhabit the soft parts of my heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2010 05:04:27 PM »

Hello to all the daring knitters that take up fair isle! I have a conundrum for you. I just finished the owl mitten pictured below:

I think the owl turned out alright but there are some things I'm not happy with and I'm not quite sure how to remedy.
1) My mitten turned out really wide (but strangely the length was fine). The fair isle cuff is especially distorted. Could this have to do with the tension I keep on the two yarns? I'm right handed and really struggle with keeping the yarn in my left hand from going too slack or being too tight. Any suggestions?
2) The edges of the wings and eyes, where there is only one row of the contrasting color get lost in the green on either side. Again, tension problem? Maybe I'm just knitting to tightly.
3) This was a tester project so I knit in acrylic. Would wool be better so that I can block? Would blocking help with the huge width problem? This thing really fits more like an oven mit (and will probably get used as such) instead of as a mitten.
All insights are appreciated! Smiley Also, would you wear an owl mitten knitted like this? I was making them as a gift but I think I'm going to have to go through the pattern and tailor it to a smaller width...or block. Let me know what you think Smiley
Thanks in advance!
echo_brook
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newly moved to the Tri Valley area (Dublin, CA) and would love to meet craftsters here. Please don't be shy about PMing me.

http://www.wists.com/echo_brook

I do personal swaps.
Tephra
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010 08:38:14 AM »

For future projects you might want to consider how yarn dominance will effect your pattern. That's what is going on with your problem #2.

You can block acrylic without killing it, but it's basically a one shot deal. Wool would have been a better choice since if you screw up the blocking you can try it again.

Two color ribbing doesn't draw in like regular ribbing, you'll want to use less stitches and then increase after the ribbing to compensate if you want a snug cuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
echo_brook
Mollusks inhabit the soft parts of my heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010 09:32:29 PM »

Thanks so much, Tephra! I didn't know that you culd block with acrylic! I thought it was a natural fiber only thing. Your comments will be a lot of help when I rework the pattern to get a better fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newly moved to the Tri Valley area (Dublin, CA) and would love to meet craftsters here. Please don't be shy about PMing me.

http://www.wists.com/echo_brook

I do personal swaps.
TheRobotSays
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010 04:29:30 AM »

Thanks so much, Tephra! I didn't know that you culd block with acrylic! I thought it was a natural fiber only thing. Your comments will be a lot of help when I rework the pattern to get a better fit.

I heard with acrylic, you should do a cold blocking method.
I've only used it once on an afghan, which was acrylic. It came out fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010 09:35:26 AM »

Blocking would solve much of the problems. From looking at it, you might also be pulling in on the edges when you switch needles, which makes the sides of you mitten get that "bump".

As for size....you could knit a lining for them, that would make it a bit smaller!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select the Perfect Christmas Tree
Personalizing the Holiday Dinner Table
How to Decorate Outdoors for the Holidays
Creative Ways to Display Holiday Cards
How to Make a No-Sew Stocking
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...