A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap 2: Return of the Cheap (SIGNUPS CLOSED, SENDOUTS 5/1)  (Read 43636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: May 03, 2010 06:03:12 AM »

My husband knows for a fact that he can NEVER go wrong with fiber/yarn as a present!  He used to say, "but I don't know what kind of yarn to get!"

So...I told him to pick out stuff that HE likes, and ask the ladies in the shop how much he would need for a hat, scarf, or whatever.  I love knitting stuff for him, so yarn that HE likes is a great gift!
I try to tell other people in my family to get me yarn, but they somehow think thats a lame gift.  To me, yarn is like 3 gifts in one...It is a gift when I first open it, another gift when I'm knitting it, and then a third gift when I have a finished project!

I also got a pair of slippers and a new set of headphones for christmas, cause he knew I needed both of those things.  He also got me a mini trampoline, but I think that was more of a present for him, since he's always bouncing on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
yelutci

Gus, don't be a giant snapping turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: May 03, 2010 08:30:19 AM »

Some of my favorite gifts have been practical; a hand sander, I-robot vacuum (practical and whimsical, fulfilling a childhood wish of having my own Rosie-the-Robot), crock-pot, new bathroom towels. I love that kind of stuff, but yarn is always great too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've heard it both ways.

I'm looking to swap some knit &/or crocheted crafts for handmade CP/HP soap.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: May 03, 2010 09:27:44 AM »

I agree- practical gifts are the best.  I want to be able to use what I get in some way. 

I think one of my favorite gifts ever (it made me cry because I had just bought my condo) was when my grandmother began giving me kitchen towels for Christmas (she crochets the top so they hang off the oven door).  Really practical, but I think of her every time I use them!  I've got ones that span all the seasons and most major holidays!

I don't get why people don't want practical gifts ...

I'd love yarn as a gift, too!  Or fabric!  Or ... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennilocker
« Reply #623 on: May 03, 2010 10:02:17 AM »

For Valentine's day I got a Dremmel and for Christmas I got a sewing machine... my 2 favorite gifts ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #624 on: May 03, 2010 07:15:05 PM »

Just a note to let you know I sent my package to mink_bikini today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2010 08:00:01 PM »

I, too, have a love for practical gifts.  The one that made my cry was my Bernina sewing machine.  It was crazy expensive, but well worth it.  I've paid it off in the long run, too, by taking several commissioned curtain sewing jobs and all of the gifts I've made with it.  My favorite gifts I made are the quilts I made for my Father-In-Law (10 or 12 of them).  He used them everyday.  And becuase he was wheelchair bound they got washed all the time and are now so very soft.  It was great, because so many people don't use the quilts I give them.  Putting them away so they don't get ruined and all.  I try to tell them to use those suckers, they're sewn well enough that they'll never fall apart.  Most don't listen.

The other fav practical gift is a set of stainless steel pots and pans I got for Mothers Day 5 years ago.  Those get used several times everyday and still look brand new.  I also get slippers every Christmas, because the ones from the previous year are always falling apart by then since I wear them all day everyday.  Hubby & kids have been well trained in my love of practical gifts.

I think that's why this is my fav swap.  Homemade practical goodness.  Can't go wrong with anything in that category.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2010 08:54:12 PM »

i wish my package would hurry up and get to dreadlocklove......i'm anxious to hear the reaction
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2010 09:45:31 PM »

Practical gifts are almost always the best. When I was a kid and got socks or something for Christmas I was always disappointed, but last year when my mom asked what I wanted, I said socks, underwear, and cookie sheets. My BF is the biggest practical gift giver. One year I got a GPS, and last year I got a Kindle. I use both way more than Iwould ever wear fancy jewelry or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
morrigan_le_faye
Come to the dark side - we have cookies....

currently obsessed with fibres! :D

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #628 on: May 04, 2010 02:35:16 AM »

I agree about the practical gifts! I got my cherry red KitchedAid as a gift last summer and I love love love it!
And bf's grandmother knits wonderfull socks. Every time we visit her (which happens maybe once a year because she lives in Danmark) she gives us some. The are so warm and practical.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 02:39:04 AM by morrigan_le_faye » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagine
« Reply #629 on: May 04, 2010 05:49:54 AM »

I didn't know one could enjoy unpractical gifts... To me, if I receive something that's unpractical from someone, it means that person doesn't know me or my needs...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Film History Biography of Sam Raimi
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 2/2
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 1/2
The Film Lab - Genre Jam: The Universal Monsters
Production in Filmmaking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...