A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cancelled sophomore dance poodle skirt  (Read 1587 times)
Tags for this thread: poodle_skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: March 18, 2010 01:15:34 PM »

So my daughter's high school social studies class has a "Decades Dance" as part of their final grade (they're in trimesters, so they just finished the class). She and her friends decided to do the rather overdone 50s poodle skirt. I personally find poodle skirts to be pretty clich, but she's my daughter, so I agreed to make her one, and one for her friend. Fast forward two weeks ago, and the friend is having her skirt made by someone else's mom. All righty then. So we went out and bought 2 1/4 yards of 72" wide felt. Apparently, my daughter had no idea that it was a circle skirt, so she was pretty perplexed by the process.  Something I should mention here is that the math formula to figure out the radius of a circle doesn't seem to work very well with fabric. We wanted a 40 inch circle, so (having read other people's complaints about the failure of geometry to when making circle skirts), I cut a radius of 6 inches (which, according to my calculations, should produce a 37" hole). It was too big, but not excessively so. I'm forever grateful to rostitchery (of the infinity dress tutorial) for mentioning the whole circle skirt/geometry issue, so that I didn't attempt to cut it bigger. Anyway, because my daughter is lazy, I added a cotton fluffy slip built into the waistband (because otherwise she wouldn't wear it, and it wouldn't look even close to authentic). Basically, it's the twirly skirt pattern added as a slip.  

As it turned out, the dance was cancelled the day before (too many jobs that needed doing that no one wanted to do). So here's the poodle skirt, courtesy of my 4 year old son (because my daughter doesn't want me to take her picture in it):

He must be internet savvy already; notice the strategically placed track piece hiding his identity, so that decades from now, when his future boss goes looking for embarrassing pictures of him on the net, he'll have a lot harder time with the identification.  Wink

By the way, I was a bit boggled by the poodle skirt pattern from the traditional pattern company. They wanted me to buy 3 3/8 yards of fabric. I'm not sure what I was going to do with the extra YARD of fabric they recommended, especially since I already had an extra 1/8 yard with my 2 1/4 (the other 1/8 yard was the waistband). It was even more fabric if I wanted to use 45 or 60 inch fabric.  Roll Eyes

Comments appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 01:31:07 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
iuliasuavis
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010 08:12:54 AM »

You said that the poodle skirt was a cliche, but I liked how you made it in a non-traditional color. It seems like in all the old pictures they are either white or pink, so great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-iuliasuavis
I am a library school student- follow me to hear about books and other fun-related things!
http://twitter.com/iuliasuavis
Muria
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010 02:24:28 PM »

Thanks!  My daughter actually picked out the color (and there's no way I'd get her to wear it if it were pink but that's a whole other issue).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 09:04:27 PM »

Muria--you skirt turned out great!  I would not even have thought of felt!  What a cute applique as well...since the dance was cancelled, can you use it for maybe a Halloween costume?  Shoot, I'd wear it to go bowling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010 08:56:40 PM »

Thanks! Oddly enough, felt is apparently traditional for poodle skirts (or so I was told by my daughter, and several websites when I didn't believe her).  Smiley 

My daughter has Opinions about Halloween costumes (mostly: it must be anim related), so unless someone can find me an anim or manga with a poodle skirt in it, I'm out of luck there. I could see this particular skirt going quite well with the rental shoes at the local bowling alley, though. Might have to mention the idea to her.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013 10:15:08 AM »

Brings back memories!  For my daughter's freshman year, her choir had a 50's dance and I made her a pink "poodle" skirt.  Instead of a traditional poodle or record...she had a skull! 

I remember how hard a time I had in trying to figure how just how much to cut.  I ended up just folding the material into quarters and cutting a very small circle to start.  I then just cut a slit so she could get into it and then trimmed the waist hole until it was the right size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Handmade Books
Handmade Portraits: The Ivory Carver from Alaska
Artist Lorenzo Durán Brings Leaves Back to Life Through Art
Inmates in Ohio Enroll in a Crochet Program
A Man Builds a Dollhouse for His Daughter
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...