A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mail Art ~ Mail as-is with no packaging so the world can see as it travels!  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2010 11:31:10 AM »

I've been on a paper crafting/swapping kick since it costs less to mail than a swap package  Smiley And I had the crazy idea that it would be fun to make a piece of art and send it on its way with no packaging, like a postcard. I know there have been similar swaps (postcard swap, post secrets) but I'm not sure if this has ever been done...

Basically everyone would craft a flat piece of art leaving the back blank for attaching the address and stamp(s), then send it.  Cheesy

I looked up the size limits for the USPS, so the art could be anywhere in that range!

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/101.htm
"Dimensional Standards for Letters
Letter-size mail is:

a.
Not less than 5 inches long, 3-1/2 inches high, and 0.007-inch thick.
b.
Not more than 11-1/2 inches long, or more than 6-1/8 inches high, or more than 1/4-inch thick.
c.
Not more than 3.5 ounces (First-Class Mail letter-size pieces over 3.5 ounces pay flat-size prices).
d.
Rectangular, with four square corners and parallel opposite sides. Letter-size, card-type mailpieces made of cardstock may have finished corners that do not exceed a radius of 0.125 inch (1/8 inch)."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beefishie
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010 04:18:10 PM »

Kind of like naked mail, where you mail something without an envelope?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I knit and make jewelry mostly, but do a few other crafts as well. PM me. =)
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010 10:05:01 AM »

I'm surprised there hasnt been more response to this. I'd be interested if this ever got off the ground  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010 07:07:30 AM »

Kind of like naked mail, where you mail something without an envelope?

Never heard of naked mail before... But sounds like what I was thinking of  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aethelberga
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010 09:42:51 AM »

Depending on when this is (I am in 3 swaps at the moment) I would be up for it. It just begs for something small and quilted. There would have to be provisions though for something not making it to its destination, as really you are tempting the gods on this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lidehtium
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010 08:09:21 PM »

Depending on when this is (I am in 3 swaps at the moment) I would be up for it. It just begs for something small and quilted. There would have to be provisions though for something not making it to its destination, as really you are tempting the gods on this one.

Thats for sure!! But it really is a great idea. I guess thats where insurance would come in? Such a shame we have to worry about things like this though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
YouTube

Looking for a custom stamp, would love to swap!
kartiana

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010 07:39:54 AM »

Thats for sure!! But it really is a great idea. I guess thats where insurance would come in? Such a shame we have to worry about things like this though..

I think it'd have to be like the ATC swaps... If it doesn't get to it's new home by X number of weeks then you'd have to re-send. Hopefully it'd be low pressure so re-sending wouldn't be a huge issue.

I was thinking it might be fun to write messages to the postal workers on these. Like "Thanks for delivering me safely!" and decorating it as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dramatrauma
The Broadsword of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010 11:04:52 AM »

Id be interested as it sounds like one I can do while in the process of moving. Or after we start unpacking boxes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarasvati

love for crafting!

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010 08:32:43 PM »

I'd be really interested in doing something like this!  I collect postcards so it would be nice to get a beautiful handmade card in the mail!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010 06:30:17 AM »

I would be interested in this swap for sure. It sounds cheap, low stress, and involves art which I'm all about Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 7/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 9/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 8/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 6/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 5/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...