A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Tool Roll and Beading Pad to take to my New Job!!!  (Read 2664 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_caddy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010 06:40:51 PM »

Both of those are so perfect! The use of the blind slats for the tool roll is brilliant, and it looks so darn good. And I'm sure everyone else in the world knows about beading pads, but it's a new one to me and I need to make myself one right now. I've never known what to do with beads as you're working, and this is so obviously exactly the right solution! I have something similar at work, a wooden tray about 3/8 in. deep that I use to hold tacks while I'm upholstering. This would be just as useful.

Congratulations on the new job, and I hope you're able to keep off your feet enough. Remember, you're kinda of new to that walking thing.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010 08:08:15 PM »

Thanks so much Wulf! I bet most old-school seamstresses know about beading pads.. I got this idea watching other women just use a tacky scrap of fabric to put thier beads on while working. Years ago, I made a pad to fit a silver-plate tray. That's what I use at home. It's even more perfect, since it's stable. But, for the purpose of having it at work, I left out the tray. That's when I decided to try using the cording to get a little ridge. And it works!
  It got put to the test today, when I had to cut down an armhole on a beaded dress. This thing makes it so much easier to pick up beads! You just poke the needle, and push the bead up with your forefinger, and it's not rolling around too much. Definitely saved some time.
  Also, thanks for being concerned about my foot! It hurts like crazy! And my ankle is swolen.
I manage to stay off of it ,as much as possible; but for some reason it's not very happy right now! So, after reading the latest posts, I'm off to a movie and an ice pack!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010 05:35:43 PM »

Years ago, I made a pad to fit a silver-plate tray. That's what I use at home. It's even more perfect, since it's stable.

Would you believe that I've been using a polystyrene meat tray? Probably the most unsuitable thing imaginable; every time I bump it and beads go flying everywhere, I swear I'm going to find something better. (There's usually quite a lot of swearing, in fact!) And cutting down the armhole on a beaded dress? Yikes! Don't try this at home, kids!

Stay off that foot - don't get carried away with the bicycling! One of my colleagues at work broke her ankle in January and is only now walking normally (though not very far at a time). Like you, she went through a period where it should have been good enough to walk on, but every time she did it swelled and hurt. Took several weeks of acupuncture to get over that.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010 08:47:18 PM »

I probably rushed into getting a job a little too soon! Undecided But, I got my first check today, and it's burning a hole in my pocket!!!  Cheesy This girl has been housebound way too long. How else did I manage all those projects? Knitting? Haven't knitted in years!
  But, as for the beading pad... the velvet pile helps the beads stay quiet. They don't bounce as much. There's a reason for the velvet. It's not because it's pretty. And, it's still smooth enough that you can see everything.  
  Actually, I can see the meat tray being a good option, for the fact you can stick your needle in it. How about using some spray adhesive, and sticking down a piece of velvet? Then, it should work better. And, you won't have to sew the cording. Wink

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010 08:47:50 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010 10:45:27 AM »

Actually, I can see the meat tray being a good option, for the fact you can stick your needle in it.

That's actually one of the things that makes it so annoying: it's almost impossible to avoid catching the foam with the tip of the needle, which of course makes it bounce and spray beads everywhere! As soon as I saw the cotton velvet I could see exactly how good it would be for the job. And sewing cording holds no terrors for me; too many years of upholstery!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010 10:54:06 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing yours! Check out the thrift stores for a simple, flat silver tray. (On the medium to small side)
then you can make the pad to fit in it.
Thanks for your encouragement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010 05:12:40 PM »

I forgot to go back and have another look at your beading pad before making my own, so of course I made the piping too small (you're absolutely right about the 1/2" thickness) and then sewed it to the backing first instead of to the velvet, which made it turn down instead of up. And the upholstery velvet I used was a bit too stiff to get a nice crisp edge anyway. I was about to start again when I realized that it was okay after all, because the edges of the whole pad curled up just the right amount to make a lovely dish shape. It looks like it might be the result of clever cutting, but I could never have achieved this if I'd tried!

I still like yours better, but this will be better than a foam meat tray in the meantime. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wulf
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010 05:14:26 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010 06:18:21 PM »

great job wulf!  what a nice accidental project!  It does look like the curve is enough to keep the beads in order!

klking--love both of your projects--especially the use of the vertical blinds! I might have a few more questions once I dig up my scraps of velvet upholstery fabric...I have a few seed bead projects that I have been dreading because of the beads scattering...

hope all is going well at work and that you do are careful about your foot!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010 11:19:35 PM »

Thanks Always! I'm "always" glad to hear from you!  Wink
Let's see.. this was such an easy project, that it went together in a few minutes. I didn't even put any stuffing in the beading pad, but I could have. One thing to mention, the fabric I had was on the straight grain, for the piping, so it pulled up the corners. that was a good thing. I think If you pull the cord tight inside the fabric strip, and let it be tight in the corners, it should turn up. but, mine mostly turned up in the corners. Only, the little lip from the 1/2" cord made an edge. I did sew the cord to the top piece first, but I used 2 pieces of the same fabric. mine was thick, but not stiff. I don't think it matters.
   Wulf... I am thrilled with your beading pad! I even like it better than mine, because it looks like it was sculpted! The shape is perfect, and even tho you used 1/4" cord, and all, I love the way it turned out! Can you do that again on purpose? Grin 
   I'll "Talk to you" all tomorrow! K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Evening Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Formal Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...