A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I must be doing something right  (Read 1602 times)
Tags for this thread: garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christian_cowgirlGSR
« on: March 17, 2010 06:52:52 PM »

I must be doing something right 'cuz all my flowering flowers are blooming.  In fact, two of my Aloe Vera plants are blooming, and I didn't know Aloe Vera plants bloom.  That is, I didn't know until the first bloom appeared a month or two ago.   Grin

Here are some pics of my Aloe Vera in bloom.

My spider plants are also blooming (and multiplying):

My Flamingo Flower is also blooming (the pink spot in the middle of the flower)

This year, I also decided to save some money on my garden by buying seeds instead of small plants.  So, I planted cherry tomatoes, normal tomatoes, Impatien flowers, Marigold Flowers, Bell Peppers, and Banana Peppers.  I put the Impatiens and the peppers in the kitchen window (south side of house) and everything else in the picture window in the living room (north side of house).  Strangely enough, nothing in the south window sprouted while most of the seeds in the north window did.  Out of desperation, I moved the Impatien seeds from the south window to the north.  They bloomed after a week or two in the north window, so I moved the peppers as well.  Sadly, my pepper seeds still have not sprouted, but it is still early enough in the year that I can try again with them.  Enough chatter, on to the rest of the pictures:

Marigold sprouts:

Cherry tomato sprouts:

Sprouts for normal-sized tomato:

I didn't get pictures of the Impatien sprouts (they're fairly slow growing and are still pretty small).  Sadly enough, after these pictures were taken, I went on a weekend trip (left Sat morning, supposed to get back Sun. afternoon) and ended up having car problems and getting stranded.   Therefore, I wasn't home to water my sprouts and lost all of the cherry tomato sprouts, all but two of the sprouts for the normal-sized tomatos, and one of the marigold sprouts.  It's early enough in the season here that I'm going to try again on everything I lost, as well as the peppers that never sprouted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010 07:02:27 PM »

That's so cool. I've had enormous aloe vera plants and none of mine ever bloomed.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010 07:03:16 PM »

Shocked Aloe blooms?!  No way!

Your plants look very cute and happy.  I bet you can't wait to eat the fruits of your labor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010 07:45:14 PM »

Our aloe plant at work is blooming for the first time right now. Apparently they take about 5 years to be mature enough to flower (at least this one and its parent both did). But what's interesting is that although the individual blossoms are exactly the same shape as on your plant, ours are clustered together into a thick column at the top of the stalk. And they're yellow and white rather than salmon and yellow. So there must be several different kinds of aloe veras although the plants look pretty much the same. I'm told it'll bloom every year now; presumably yours will too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010 07:53:07 PM »

I didn't know aloes bloomed either! That is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010 08:04:21 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Wulf - there's  no way of knowing how old my aloe plants are, but my husband got them for me from a nursery about a year ago.  You say it'll bloom every year now?  How exciting!!!  I'd like to try to plant one of the blooms after it's fallen off to see if I can get another plant out of it.  I don't know if it'll work, but I'm excited to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010 06:53:30 PM »

I'd like to try to plant one of the blooms after it's fallen off to see if I can get another plant out of it.  I don't know if it'll work, but I'm excited to try!

I guess if aloes have blossoms, they must produce seeds. Unless you need a boy aloe too. Or unless this is the boy aloe! Oh, why is there never a botanist around when you need one?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

railNtrail
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010 03:25:43 PM »

That is so awesome! My mom's aloe is blooming for the first time ever this year too! I'm sure she'll be excited when I tell her it might bloom every year now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tracy Guzeman on Her Debut Novel, The Gravity of Birds
Jessica Buchanan on Her Dramatic Rescue by SEAL Team Six
Enhanced Book on Historic Moments in the Civil Rights Movement
Taylor Branch on the Importance of Civil Rights
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...