A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Color insecurity  (Read 1980 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hika-chan
Self Appointed Queen of the Leemars

A Mom enjoying my own adventures in Craftsterland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010 11:21:31 PM »

I think this artist uses color brilliantly:  http://frodok.deviantart.com/

I'm studying his work for inspiration.

This guy uses a technique of cool and warm colors.  Basically he uses blues and greens primarily in the background.  These are considered cool colors.  he uses oranges, reds and yellows in the forground-these are warm colors. The warm colors, when placed in the front, make the cool  color appear to receed, giving off a false sense of depth. This in turn pushes the warm colors more forward-again giving off a false sense of depth.

I also have a hard time with color. It's far more comfortable for me to do things in black and white, and I do a lot of black and white pictures because of this. Plus black and white and monochromes appeal more to me. But color images can be so amazing, that its sad not to do them. Here's how I got over the first initial hump- pick up your favorite medium or one that you are more comfortable in. If you paint , then use paint that you are comfortable with. I am a pencil person, so I used chalk pastel pencils first, because pencils were more comfortable for me.  Then take a piece of paper and force yourself to draw something, anything. Doesnt matter what it is. I actually tried a remake of a disney picture I liked. Repeat this a few times, you'll find that you are far more comfortable with color after that. And then just branch out in different mediums. I find that when I just force myself to do it, and dont worry/think about the outcome, it is much more enjoyable.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists http://=http://www.wists.com/Hika-chan/
blog http://motherinwonderland.blogspot.com/

I love to swap ATCs. Let me know if you're interested.
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010 04:56:10 PM »

Thank you for those insights and suggestions!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010 08:22:48 PM »

What about finding a nice coloring book? I especially like mandala coloring books and Dover publications has a lot of great coloring books for not much money. They also have a weekly e-mail with pages you can print and color. You won't have to worry about what the image is, you can just play with the colors in the image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RainyRainy
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010 11:49:55 AM »

I am the opposite from you- I tend to use very vivid, bright colors automatically. I was painting something a while back and decided that a certain element in the painting would do better in black and white, while letting the remainder of the painting be bright as usual. It was a real challenge to figure out how to get everything to look right with such a limited pallet. The way that I ended up having to do it was to pack up all the colors I normally use and only put out my blacks, grays, and whites. Then I didnt have a choice and wasnt so distracted.

Maybe you could try that; just put away the types of colors you are comfortable with and leave out only the brightest and richest colors that you have. Or do a painting using only reds and pinks, or greens, or blues. That might get you acquainted and at ease with them, having had to stare at and work with them for the duration of a whole painting.

Just my 2 cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010 02:35:49 PM »

Sorry I hadn't checked back here in awhile!  Thanks for the suggestions - the next piece I start, I am going to try to move away from the safe zone!

Currently working on very safe things, darn me!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_bees_knees

Artist, Illustrator, & Maker Extraordinaire

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010 10:03:07 AM »

First of all, I second all the color theory suggestions mentioned already. Very good advice!

This may sound silly, but the thing that's been helping me the most with my color confidence is mixing up colors in my outfits. I've found a lot of color combinations that I really love just by pairing some crazy striped tights with a bright sweater, or something like that. I used to wear nothing but black, and my color choices in illustration were pretty boring, but I'm learning to spice it up a bit. Just my two cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010 06:54:07 AM »

Thanks!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010 09:54:53 AM »

This is a little late but I used to have the exact same problem.

I particularly love painting and drawing portraits, so what I do is think of color in terms of value and pretend it isn't so bright. Like if I do a temperature drawing I will start out with a pale yellow (kind of like a 2H graphite pencil) and work my way into oranges and reds. I prefer Prismacolors and Verithins for this type of thing but I also love the Derwent watercolor pencils because you can start to mix the colors. Try starting a drawing, doing the gestural sketching I mean, with bright colors and build upon them. You can always scrape away with an exacto knife later to get the excess wax off, or add white Prismacolor (or a white charcoal pencil) on top to tone down the shading. But messing up is fun because it teaches you what you're doing wrong and provides a framework for how to fix it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Turkey Burgers
Learn how to Make Cucumber and String Bean Salad with Olive Tapenade Dressing
Learn how to Cook Dill and Feta Turkey Burgers with Cucumber and String Bean Salad
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak Sandwich with Homemade Onion Rings
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak with Mashed Potatoes and White Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...