A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A non-conventional layout  (Read 3932 times)
Tags for this thread: layout , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2010 07:02:28 PM »

A few of us in the "Post a project on every board" Craftalong have been voicing reservations about scrapbooking. We aren't comfortable with the 'perkiness' of the commercial embellishments and find most of the usual layouts unrepresentative of our own lives. So our leader and den-mother EdelC challenged us to post a scrapbook page that expresses a quirky or uncommon aspect of our lives without using commercial embellishments or preconceived layouts. This is mine.

This is my older brother Peter, who died in 1991. The ideas started with the image of the burning motorcycle (a story that I'm not ready to cast into the Interwebs), which made me think of the artist David Wojnarowicz, who often included burning objects in his paintings. I set out to do a page in Wojnarowicz's style, but of course it turned into something else.

I haven't yet decided how much I like it or whether it really captures the memory it was intended to. I think the background painting would have been better done in watercolour rather than acrylics, because it has a bit too much gloss which I think is distracting. (Not visible in this photo.) There is a space in the lower left that needs a photo. I'm going to have to canvas my family to find one that would fit. The Chinese funeral money at the top is there partly because Wojnarowicz often collaged banknotes into his paintings, partly because the open space needed something to break it up, and partly in respect of the Chinese tradition of burning money to honour the dead.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010 07:17:03 PM »

i love it!!!! one of the reasons i haven't gotten into scrap booking is because most of the stuff one can get for it is rather harmless and just "pretty". yours is very thought provoking...and inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010 07:53:44 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing , Wulf! I'm sure this was really a difficult piece to work on. I am
so touched by the depth of thought put into this.
  I hope you can find the perfect photo to fill in that missing spot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady_sepulchre
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010 12:33:40 AM »

this is beautiful and brilliant! and i love the black and white. take that, scrapbooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Saviors and Saints and Devils and Heathens alike..She'll eat you alive.~*
http://www.wists.com/lady_sepulchre
MAF R6 Swap-working on #3
Psych Swap-delayed
My Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladysepulchre
Personal swap hiatus due to health issues.
themuppet

Wants your tasty brainmeats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010 06:12:43 AM »

Awesome job, Wulf.  The thing I like the most about it is that it creates more questions than it answers.  Rather than tons of glitterfied text embellishments (gone fishing!  daddy's little girl), the whole thing is rather subtle and haunting.  And your painting for the background is wonderful, flaming motorcycle included.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010 11:18:19 AM »

I really do like it. the painting for the background is great and the colours work so well. I love that it is non-conventional at that the story is so well reflected and honest..in the work..I also love that it references another artists work.

I have a suggestion, but it is more of a personal preference. I think that it would look good if the edges of the main page were darkened a little, the photos have frames and that concentrates the view on there, a slightly darker edge might keep the viewer more on the page rather than falling off the edge..the best example I can give you is phizzychicks work. she always does this kind of darker shading at the edges...a trick that I have picked up from her...but like I said it is only a personal preference...http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=217391.msg2338047#msg2338047

love the top B&W photo, great shot, did you take it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010 01:56:10 PM »

a very thought-provoking and conversation starter type of page...that is, if you were to share it with others around you...I love the symbolism and lack of words "explaining" the entire page...

it goes to show that you do not have to use the plethera of conventional materials out there to make your own personal scrapbook..

thank you for sharing Wulf...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

attackofthequacks

glue addict - glitter glue, that is ;)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010 02:30:12 PM »

Wonderful page, Wulf! I know how much emotion goes into crafts like this, so thank you so much for sharing it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for batik fabric or shrinky dink plastic - PM me!

My Wists: www.wists.com/attackofthequacks
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010 04:59:46 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And Edel, you're absolutely right about darkening the edges. I hadn't thought of it at all, but now that you've pointed it out it seems so obvious. Not much, just about the same amount as the round frames. I'll go do it right now.

And I didn't take any of the photos; don't know who did. I also like the craft-room one at the top.

Wulf
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010 05:00:58 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ostera15
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010 05:39:13 PM »

Love it!!!! I have been waiting for one of the "anti-traditional scrapbooking" members of our craftalong to post. I knew it would be amazing (individuality always is)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Girl Zooey Deschanel Tells Us Her Beauty Secrets
How to Hide That You Just Cried
The Secret to Applying False Eyelashes
Tips For Wearing Lip Liner
Top 4 Ways to Treat Dry Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...