A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "The Angels Have the Phone Box" t-shirt (Doctor Who)  (Read 6623 times)
Tags for this thread: tardis , dr_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 16, 2010 03:54:07 PM »

If there's any one episode from the new Doctor Who series that everyone goes crazy over, it seems to be "Blink" - possibly because it scares us all pantsless.  Not to mention that it's just a treasure trove of possible nerdy fan crafts!  There's one thing I've always, always wanted to have: that shirt that they mention briefly in the show, the one that says "The angels have the phone box," a line from the Doctor's message back to Sally Sparrow.

I was definitely not the first to think of this - you can find quite a few designs online.  But I didn't actually like any of them.  They were sad and kind of ugly and kind of exorbitantly expensive, especially for being so sad and ugly.  I thought, as all Craftsters do, "I can do better than that!"

Of course, years passed and I didn't actually do better than that; I did nothing at all.  I designed exactly what I wanted the shirt to look like in the hopes of getting it printed special-made from a few custom t-shirt companies, but they were also expensive and had a minimum order of around 8 shirts, which would be difficult to pawn off.  But a couple of months ago I tried freezer paper stenciling for the first time and LOVED it!  So I finally found a shirt that was the right color, fit, and price, and sat down to make it.

The entire thing was done with freezer paper stencils I cut out with exacto knives.  I swear, I am never doing a funky serif font again.  No more serifs.  Ever.  The shirt is a bright teal and the paint is a cool TARDIS blue.

The front:

The Weeping Angel and the TARDIS resting over the text.  I swear, the text isn't bent funny, it's just folding because, uhm.  Boobs.

The back:

The TARDIS key on its little dangly keychain.

I just wore it around campus for the first time today.  I keep hoping that when I wear it, I'll see other Doctor Who fans come out of the woodwork when they recognize the reference...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010 04:29:21 PM »

It looks fantastic! Very clean. And one of my absolute favorite Doctor Who episodes (up there with Caves of Androzani and Tom Baker episodes...). I thought about making a shirt out of this one, too, because he says "I've got that on a t-shirt" but I don't think mine would be half as well done as yours. Cheesy I love the TARDIS key on the back!

Very well done!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010 04:30:43 PM by cassiege » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
rrrat

little punky rat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010 02:36:12 AM »

One of my favorite episodes! It's so scary, i closed my eyes when i watched it Smiley)) And now i'm afraid statues:((

Your t-shirt is great! Very good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorry for my english. from Russia with love! ^^"

http://formspring.me/rrrat - ask me anything
http://vk.com/rrrat
http://rrrat.ru - my blog (may be spoilers for swaps!) and my creative writing - all in russian
sarantha
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010 03:58:52 AM »

I love it. I want one. I totaly agree with the t-shirts on sale being rather sad and ugly.. although that's one of my favourite episodes I never felt tempted to buy one of the t-shirts I saw on sale.
I'm so wisting yours, though! (if only they made the fitted girls' shirts in sizes I can wear withough looking like a wiener sausage.. even XL looks like something a slim teenager would wear from my perspective *sighs*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
bexieboo
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010 08:15:26 AM »

I luff it I luff it I luff it.

I really like your style, it's cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010 05:03:36 PM »

Thanks, guys, for the kind words!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikolelily
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010 06:15:24 PM »

this is great! wayyyy better than my sharpied brown army surplus shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think for yourself, question authority.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen Covey Discusses the Habits from His Book
Dr. Ellen Marmur Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Who Reynolds Price Admires the Most
Idliby, Oliver and Warner on the Faith Club
Get to Know Bestselling Author Jennifer Weiner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...