A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrink Plastic Baubles (Package Tie-ons)  (Read 7362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theczarina

if you were a mermaid, i was the sea

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003 08:58:53 PM »

i LOOOOVE shrinky-dink paper!  i've made piles of earrings with it [hot glue earring posts to back of shrunken art], and just the other day i made a bunch of friends personalized pins[hot glue safety pins to back].  there are just sooo many things you can do with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want god, I want poetry, I want danger, I want freedom, I want goodness, I want sin" - Aldous Huxley
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003 11:20:29 AM »

i used to have some of this fabby shrinky paper stuff but i never got chance to use it... then i moved house and it got left behind   Sad

anyone know of a uk supplier?

i'm really inspired by the earrings and badges ideas, czarina!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003 06:22:15 PM »

coloring books are a great source for tracing!

also, this copyright biz, a whole lot of us would be in trouble for using comics and other found art objects to make stuff.

Jenny's stuff does rule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003 01:42:45 AM »

coloring books are a great source for tracing!

also, this copyright biz, a whole lot of us would be in trouble for using comics and other found art objects to make stuff.

Jenny's stuff does rule.

good point! where do we stand legally? say if we use an old comic to make fridge magnets, can the comic company or artist kick off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-George Bernard Shaw
snoopendous
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003 04:47:51 PM »

i LOOOOVE shrinky-dink paper!  i've made piles of earrings with it [hot glue earring posts to back of shrunken art], and just the other day i made a bunch of friends personalized pins[hot glue safety pins to back].  there are just sooo many things you can do with it!

I was hoping you could share other things you've made with your shrinky dink paper... I just bought 4 packs of it thru the american science & surplus site, and need to make a lot of x-mas gifts...thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2003 09:18:57 AM »

good point! where do we stand legally? say if we use an old comic to make fridge magnets, can the comic company or artist kick off?

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but so long as they're not being re-sold, you can do anything you want. If you*are* reselling the marble magnets that use copyrighted images you have to pay licensing to the copyright owner (for example: to Bettie Page's estate if you want to sell mm's with pics of her).

Where it gets grey is: are you reproducing the image over and over to make a bunch of the same magnets? That's where you have to be careful. Are you clipping images straight from the source (like an old magazine?) and using them just once, to make a bunch of individual magnets? That's a safer bet, even for resale.

The copyright issue only comes up if you are planning on making money off the design. In any case like that, I always recommend talking to a lawyer. It's expensive, but not as expensive as being sued. Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
snoopendous
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003 05:41:47 PM »

It is my understanding of copyright law that any copying, whether or not you sell the copy or otherwise are planning to make money off of it, can be a violation of copyright law, as copyright law can encompass the reproduction of material whether or not the reproduction makes money for the copyright infringer.

However, whether the copyright laws apply to a work at all depend on the date on which the work was created.  Some really old works, like those I think created prior to 1923, are in the public domain, I think.  

There is a "fair use" exception to the copyright law which is pretty murky but holds that if people are using the reproductions for educational purposes, for example, they cannot be found liable for copyright infringement.  The stuff I have read does not say that the exception covers reproductions that are for personal use (think about, for example, making a copy of a rented video -- I don't think we're supposed to do that, even if we don't sell the copy, as it still potentially can take royalties away from the person(s) who made the movie).

I am not an expert on this at all, but I assume that nobody would probably find it worth the expense of suing someone who merely reproduces the copyrighted work in order to make a magnet or some other sort of item for her personal use that she is not selling.

There are many websites that discuss copyright laws and will no doubt be better than whatever I have just said. (Copyright law is in Title 17 of the United States Code).  The Library of Congress and Cornell University's law school have websites that discuss the topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003 03:54:41 AM »

blimey... so in other words, if in doubt...don't! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 15/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 6/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 16/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 13/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 1/16
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...