A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainforest Lip Butter (With Recipe!)  (Read 5816 times)
Tags for this thread: lip_balm , lip_butter , natural , beeswax , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 15, 2010 11:15:28 AM »

This creamy, moisturizing lip butter is made with some of the most beneficial skin care ingredients that the rainforest has to offer.  Rich Cupuacu Butter, nourishing Acai and Maracuja Oils are blended with natural Beeswax and Andiroba Oil to create a soft, conditioning lip treatment.  Mango Flavor Oil adds an exotic aroma to this recipe, but if you prefer an all natural balm, try using 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite Mint Essential Oil in its place.

Recipe:

Makes about 5 Ounces, enough to fill about 15 1/4 oz. Slider Tins.

Ingredients
1/2 ounce Maracuja (Passion Fruit) Oil
1/2 0unce Acai Berry Oil
1 ounce Andiroba Oil
2 ounces Cupuacu Butter
1 ounce Beeswax
1 teaspoon Mango Flavor Oil

Directions
In a double boiler, gently melt the Beeswax and Cupuacu Butters together.  Remove the mixture from heat, then add the Maracuja, Acai, and Andiroba Oils.  When these are mixed well, add the Flavor Oil and stir again.  If you like a very intense scent in your lip balm, add an extra teaspoon of Flavor Oil to the mixture.  Personally, I prefer how a hint of Mango Flavor Oil blends with the natural aroma of Cupuacu Butter.  Carefully pour the mixture into Lip Balm containers.  Be careful not to over-fill the slider tins, as they will not close properly if they too full.  Allow the Lip Balm to cool completely before moving them.

These look cute in 1/4 oz. slider tins, but you can also package them in any pot-type container.  They are a little bit too soft for tubes though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010 11:22:51 AM »

I so want some!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010 12:06:49 PM »

Thank you for sharing! I think I'm going to make a batch of this up for me and my sisters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010 01:32:52 PM »

Ooh that sounds great! I always see the various fancy butters on supplier's sites and never know what to do with them Grin

<does a little "Yay, Emmy's back" dance>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010 04:23:31 AM »

I am sooooo happy to see Emmy back!!! Where have you been?? Besides making some awesome lip butter Smiley

Fab-o as expected...you are always awesome with sharing recipes. !! Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
mcook72677
I fink you freeky

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010 05:08:56 AM »

Thanks for sharing this recipe!  The only ingredient that I am familiar with is the beeswax.  Can you tell me a little bit about the base oils and the butter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade and vintage goodness!
www.gibsgoods.etsy.com
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010 09:24:36 AM »

I am sooooo happy to see Emmy back!!! Where have you been??

Thanks for welcoming me back so warmly! I actually took some time off to visit Beijing, China for three months with my husband. We had a great time exploring, and are now back in the States, and back to work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.

EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010 09:45:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing this recipe!  The only ingredient that I am familiar with is the beeswax.  Can you tell me a little bit about the base oils and the butter?

I'd be happy to tell you about these ingredients. They are all sourced from rain forests, mostly in Brazil.  In addition to having great properties for skin care, the use of these ingredients help to encourage wild crafting, and harvesting from the rain forest.  This is a great way for the local people of the rain forests to make a living from the forests without clear cutting, or destroying the flora and fauna.  I'll tell you a little bit about each of the ingredients:

Maracuja Oil, (also known as Passion Fruit or Passion Flower Oil) is cold pressed from the plant's seeds, and packed with nutritive substances including Vitamin C, Essential Fatty Acids, and Calcium.  It has a very light texture, and is a great moisturizer.  It also has natural anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for massage, or sensitive skin.

Acai Berry Oil is pressed from the "super fruit" Acai.  Like the fruit, this oil is packed with nutrients, including Vitamins B, C, and E. It is high in Essential Fatty Acids, Minerals, and Amino Acids.  It is highly moisturizing, and can help to improve the elasticity, texture, and appearance of the skin. It has natural anti-bacterial properties, as well as natural anti-inflammatory properties, and powerful antioxidants. It has a very light texture, and absorbs into the skin quickly, making it great for balms, lotions, serums, or massage oils.

Andiroba Oil is another soothing, anti-inflammatory Oil.  It has been used in the Amazon for generations to help heal chapped skin, soothe bug bites, and soothe muscle aches. It's highly moisturizing, and is a great choice for lotions, creams, body butters, or serums used to treat eczema, psoriasis, and chronic dry skin.

Cupuacu Butter is similar to Cocoa Butter, but it has a slightly softer and creamier texture.  It has a mild, fruity aroma, and is highly moisturizing.  Cupuacu is extra special because of its water absorption properties.  Like Lanolin, Cupuacu can help to stabilize emulsions, making it a great choice for lotions, creams, or conditioners.  It's packed with fatty acids and sterols, and is a great ingredient for mature skin, lip care, hair care, and skin care. Basically, Cupuacu rocks.

If anyone has more questions about these ingredients, or any others, please let me know. I love sharing.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilmama06
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010 11:44:54 AM »

I'm new here and this sounds amazing..I've been looking around and am in awe of everything..This is a great way to eventually save money..lol..Have to buy the ingredients first..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

writergurl27
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010 05:15:37 PM »

I'm definitely going to have to try this wonderful recipe!  Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everything You Know About the Economy Is Wrong
Karen Kingsbury’s The Bridge Book Teaser
Hilary Weisman on Her Novel Reunited
Free Press Summer Fiction Interactive Application
Jodi Picoult on Writing Between the Lines with Her Daughter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...