A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: English Patchwork/Hexagon Quilt - do I NEED paper templates?  (Read 7655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mippy
« on: March 15, 2010 08:40:26 AM »

Hi there!

I want a simple project to use up some bits of fabric I have lying around, and which doesn't require a sewing machine... so I thought of doing a hexagon quilt - I believe this is known as 'English Patchwork' in the US? I thought all I needed to do was cut out my hexagons and simply keep sewing them together until I had myself a quilt, but Googling suggests that paper templates are involved. This sounds fiddly and time-consuming to say the least! Do I need to use these to make myself a quilt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010 10:22:41 AM »

In a word, no. I've been doing a lot of reading lately on quilting, and I've seen instructions for this type of piecing. I've also seen quilters who say it's really not necessary. Think about it... Do you think our ancestors 200 years ago pieced that way? Probably not. They didn't have a lot of paper to cut up and throw away, nor the time, with all the day-to-day household tasks. Quilting was done in stolen moments while dinner was cooking or children were sleeping, etc. Plus, there's really no right or wrong in quilting, it's whatever you want to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
vwbuggirlie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010 10:28:28 AM »

I found this tutorial a few months ago http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009/02/granmothers-flower-garden-paper-piecing.html. She shows how you can use either freezer paper, index cards or old cards/those annoying subscription postcards you get in magazines to make paper templates. I tried her freezer paper approach and liked it. You can use the freezer paper a few different times because you can iron and remove it. After a certain point, it doesn't stick to the fabric anymore though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
SimplySandy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010 02:25:06 PM »

Or you could do what I did when I made my quilt.  No paper, just stitch to a 1/4 inch so you can add the next piece into the Y connection.  Hope this makes sense!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010 02:27:18 PM by SimplySandy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010 10:17:26 AM »

Do you NEED them? maybe not. But I have used them and it makes it really easy and I would think, possibly more accurate than doing it without paper. You can buy packs of 100 precut cardstock hexagons for only a few dollars and you can reuse them over and over, which eliminates cutting them out and such.

And I've seen very old hexagon quilts with the papers still inside, so I think many ancestors did use paper. It just helps you keep the shape nice and neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
BattleAxe
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010 08:32:10 PM »

If you're doing larger hexes, you can make them bigger and cut them in half and sew strips.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010 02:29:46 PM »

If you're doing larger hexes, you can make them bigger and cut them in half and sew strips.

Good point Battleax.  I think that would be much easier, although not as portable maybe than doing hexes by hand.  Mode Bake Shop just had one a bit ago --> here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010 10:20:47 AM »

since last thursday i have hand sewn 459 hexes using the tut with the freezer paper.  and i love it. i don't not find it overly time consuming... i imagine once i start sewing my hexes together it becomes more time consuming and slightly less portable.

i needed a portable project to take on vacation last weekend. now it is a minor obsession.  my hand hurts. oops repetitive stress injury...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Graffiti Stencil
How to Create Light Graffiti
How to Create Graffiti Wildstyle
How to Design Short Anime Characters
How to Do Basic Paint Handling Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...