A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help With Craft Room!  (Read 1582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« on: March 14, 2010 06:20:26 PM »

I'm moving the crafting portion of my bedroom from sharing the room to having it's own space in the basement (YES! Grin) and I need some help because the color scheme is similar to my bedroom, and I don't want it to be. I need help with the furniture layout of the room (room layout pic further down), creating storage space, ideas for wall murals I can paint, and picking a complimentary color to the following color scheme:

I was thinking something like this:

The walls are the blue, floors are the grey, trim is the black, and I believe the ceiling is white. I'd use that accent color to paint the mural on the wall(s), and I was thinking I'd do a big tree silhouette (I know, how original!) in the accent color with grey or black heart-shaped leaves. Any ideas? I'm a big movie fan, too!

Here's the room layout:

No measurements but it's the accurate shape of the room, all socket and door locations accurate as well.

My furniture includes two bookcases (one short and wide black, one tall and thin white), a long rectangular table (roughly as large as the space between the right of the door and and the right wall), a small square table (could almost fit between left of door and left wall), a small sewing table with attached machine (could fit between left of door and left wall), a stool that can slide under the sewing table, a regular straight-backed chair, and a tri-pod.

I have a light box that could fit on the small table, a camera for the tri-pod, a serger, utensil mug, button jars, and thread spool organizer. I was thinking I could have my first ever inspiration board. Any ideas how to go about creating one? Or links to interesting ones? How about yours?

I need a sort of filing or storage system to keep my business information organized and easily accessible (I currently have big yellow envelopes with invoices, supplies lists, and an assortment of receipts from past purchases).

I have a small budget, so any ways to recycle or upcycle would be wonderful, and any inexpensive store links would be great, too. I also do personal swaps if you have an item I could use and would like to swap for it. I can make holes in the walls and I can paint them but I don't want to blow the money on paint.

What I need storage for are my:
fabrics
idea jar
inspirational manga
fabric paint
acrylic paint
yarn
a treasure chest with other old inspirations
button jars
embroidery floss jars
Bolex (film camera)
film supply
the movies in DVD cases Ive made
thumb tack jars
knitting needles
crochet hooks
index cards
patterns
sewing pins
hand-sewing needles
sewing machine needles
massive amount of old clothing I wont/cant wear anymore which will become something else
jewelry-making items
yo-yo manufacturing supplies (pre-cut circles and bag for finished yo-yos)
ribbon
fat quarters
bandannas
paint brushes
composition notebook idea journals
sketchpad
sketching pencils
sketching erasers
scrapbook/scrap paper
Thanks so much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jarofdreams
My Blog: http://livingcraft.blogspot.com
PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010 08:44:36 PM »

Congratulations on the craft space!!

Here are a couple basic ideas for you.

**Storage:
-It's not overly pretty, but I love clear plastic boxes. You can get them at dollar stores or any basic store. They're in-expensive, come in any size, and you can see through them to see what you've got inside. You can even get large clear plastic totes to store your fabric in. I sort mine by color.

-If you want color- a lot of dollar stores are now selling pretty colored containers. Try Dollar Tree, they've got some pretty bright colored containers right now.

-Cans: save tin soup cans and the like. You can paint them or cover them in paper and use them to store pencils and whatnot. Cans with lids are even better. Baby food jars, coffee cans, dog food containers... wash them out and use them to store your bits. Just make sure to label them so you know where everything is!

-Grab a file cabinet at a thrift store or garage sale. You can get them for 5-10$ usually. You can hold all your business information and they also work really well for pattern storage. On a side note, most are metal and you can use the sides for a magnet surface as well.

**Inspiration board:
Start with a basic bulletin board or two. They're cheep and you can even find them at thrift stores. You can then decorate them however you want!

-Paint: bulletin boards can be painted or stained any color. You can even paint designs on them

-Fabric: You can wrap fabric and batting around the board and staple it in place. Actually, you don't even need the batting!! Add some painted trim around the edge and it looks really fancy. You can even add ribbon to make it look like a french message board. (I actually use a fabric colored bulletin board).

-Magnet/Dry Erase board: Think about adding a magnet board and/or a small dry erase (or chalk board). This way you can jot down quick notes to yourself or whatever.

**Other stuff:

-If you do craft fairs or swaps, consider hanging a calender so that you can keep track of deadlines and events. I would be lost without mine.

-Garage sale season is coming up. You can often grab bookshelves for @10$. Remember that any furniture can be painted to match your space. Always look for things with built in storage (ie: tables with drawers...). If you're garage saleing, take a list of what you want to find and measurements of your space. Also take a small tape measure so you can make sure your new furniture will fit.

-Make sure you have good lighting. I have a basement craft space as well, and lighting is a problem for me. (garage sales are also good for lights!)

HAVE FUN! AND GOOD LUCK!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010 08:05:40 AM »

...Try Dollar Tree, they've got some pretty bright colored containers right now...

I LOVE the Dollar Tree, so I'll be sure to check out some bins the next time I go. I don't have a ton of craft supplies at the moment that will really fit into bins (not a lot of big fabric I can use and all my scraps are too big to toss). Are there any other Dollar Tree finds you can think of that may help? I know the wedding section has little containers for favors that can store bits of ribbon that won't fit anywhere, and I collect the ribbon and thread spools I use so I could put them there, too.

Baby food jars, coffee cans...

I'm on the hunt for jars. No babies in the house (I'm 18, so technically I'm the baby, haha!) and we don't drink coffee or have a dog. We're not big soup eaters either. Any ideas where I can buy jars for cheap?

**Inspiration board:
Start with a basic bulletin board or two. They're cheep and you can even find them at thrift stores. You can then decorate them however you want!

-Fabric: You can wrap fabric and batting around the board and staple it in place. Actually, you don't even need the batting!! Add some painted trim around the edge and it looks really fancy. You can even add ribbon to make it look like a french message board. (I actually use a fabric colored bulletin board).

Do you think it would be possible to get a frame and paint it, then attach fabric to the back? Like a canvas? I think I could do that and attach a bulletin board on either one side or each side for the things that won't stay on the framed fabric.

-If you do craft fairs or swaps, consider hanging a calender so that you can keep track of deadlines and events. I would be lost without mine.

I don't do craft fairs yet because I can never find any. Is there a website that tells you all the places nearby that fairs are held? We have the Allentown Art Festival but getting in is impossible. Do you know anything about flea market policies? I could try there...

-Garage sale season is coming up. You can often grab bookshelves for @10$. Remember that any furniture can be painted to match your space. Always look for things with built in storage (ie: tables with drawers...). If you're garage saleing, take a list of what you want to find and measurements of your space. Also take a small tape measure so you can make sure your new furniture will fit.

I completely forgot about that!! I'll have to make a list, then, and get hopping! Maybe I can have my own sale to get rid of the fabrics I won't use, or find someone willing to swap. Fabric is sooo expensive it's really just easier for me to thrift oversized clothing. JoAnn's does have good sales, though, and I adore their policy on coupons. I used to be obsessed with Michael's but the savings really are at JoAnn's.

-Make sure you have good lighting. I have a basement craft space as well, and lighting is a problem for me. (garage sales are also good for lights!)

Well at the moment there's literally no lighting. The electricity that hooked up to what used to be workable lights was accidentally cut off by one of the painters we had remodeling our basement, so I can't even move into the room until my dad has an electrician come in to fix the wiring and get some light. All the electrical sockets work just fine, though, so I can grab some lamps in the meantime.

HAVE FUN! AND GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you! And thank you for all your help! I'll be saving up for more than just a serger now, but it sounds like I'll be able to get the room done for less than I thought I'd have to pay. If you don't mind, could you post pics of your craft room, just so I can get an idea of what storage in the bins looks like? And for more inspiration if that's cool with you. Wink
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 08:08:59 AM by Sparkle Motion Dreamer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
zippyfluff
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010 04:05:03 AM »

A good way to find jars is just walking around your neighborhood on garbage day. Everybody leaves their bins out, just do a quick peek in each one till you have enough! (Do this really early or late if you're not as shameless as I am.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No one ever gets what they want and that is beautiful" -TMBG

www.paintedbunting. etsy.com
Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010 05:26:34 AM »

A good way to find jars is just walking around your neighborhood on garbage day. Everybody leaves their bins out, just do a quick peek in each one till you have enough! (Do this really early or late if you're not as shameless as I am.)

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately I'd have to go to a different neighborhood because most of the people on my street only recycle newspapers, if they recycle at all. =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010 04:49:50 PM »

Jars for cheep... I like to buy canning jars. I like the uniformity and there are a couple different sizes and even some wide mouth jars. I paid $7 for each box of jars last year. I built a jar nook behind the door to my room that is really usefull. (It also just happens to hold paperbacks perfectly as well.)

I bought a lot of large clear bins at Home Depo reasonably priced and build a shelf unit to hold them all. It was easier than having all the bins on top of each other. Every time I'd look for a box it would be on the bottom in a stack of 5 to 7 bins.

I'm not sure if you have it in your area but you could try freecycle and ask for jars and other odds and ends. Craigs list is another option to look for things a little less expensive.  Good luck.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010 12:38:50 PM »

I'm not sure if you have it in your area but you could try freecycle and ask for jars and other odds and ends. Craigs list is another option to look for things a little less expensive.  Good luck.

I just posted a request on freecycle. Thank you for the reminder!

Jars for cheep... I like to buy canning jars. I like the uniformity and there are a couple different sizes and even some wide mouth jars. I paid $7 for each box of jars last year. I built a jar nook behind the door to my room that is really usefull. (It also just happens to hold paperbacks perfectly as well.)

I bought a lot of large clear bins at Home Depo reasonably priced and build a shelf unit to hold them all. It was easier than having all the bins on top of each other. Every time I'd look for a box it would be on the bottom in a stack of 5 to 7 bins.

I'm on the lookout for jars at local grocery stores as well and my father agreed to help me build some cubbies. I'll check out Home Depot and see if they have any bins in my price range. I may have to freecycle/craigslist request bins, or wait until garage sales to see if any are being sold.

Thank you for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010 02:45:06 PM »

Here are a few pictures you asked for.

Fabric covered, framed bulletin board:

Dollar store bins. I keep my drawers lined with them for extra organization. It's really easy to grab my jewelry tools bin and take it wherever I'm going to be working.

You have bookshelves. That's a great storage opportunity. I use labeled bins to fill my bookcase. This way I can find something at a glance and everything is tucked away where it won't get dirty.

If you know anyone who is getting their kitchen remodeled... that's another great place to pick up stuff for your craft space. Old cabinets can be mounted on walls for additional storage. Here's an old picture of my craft station. I used two kitchen counters to form an L-shaped work station. I used scrap lumber for most of the legs... and added an old bank of drawers from a yard sale.

Another quick idea- pill bottles. Most people have a prescription or two. Even Tylenol bottles work for storing needles, buttons, beads and all sorts of tiny stuff. I keep a child-safe pill bottle next to my sewing machine to put broken needles/pins in. Once it fills up I can just toss it away without worrying that anyone is going to get stabbed.

Check your area for thrift stores as well. Salvation Army, St Vincent DePaul, Goodwill... you can often find storage containers, furniture, and craft supplies for cheap. Also- sign up for the e-mail newsletters from JoAnn's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby... (whatever craft stores are in your area). Those places carry specialty craft storage (and supplies!) and those 40% off coupons come in handy if you need to by a thread storage rack or 12x12 scrapbook paper box. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010 06:43:03 PM »

Fabric covered, framed bulletin board:

Very nice! I tried to make one out of fabric and cardboard in a metal frame with twine and it failed epically. I'm going to try again with an actual bulletin board and see what happens.

You have bookshelves. That's a great storage opportunity. I use labeled bins to fill my bookcase. This way I can find something at a glance and everything is tucked away where it won't get dirty.

I think I've seen the snap-top lid bins at the dollar store so I'll double check, but I did see a bunch online at Home Depot so I'll probably check both and see which works best for my needs. Mainly scraps and bulky jewelry boxes.

Another quick idea- pill bottles. Most people have a prescription or two. Even Tylenol bottles work for storing needles, buttons, beads and all sorts of tiny stuff. I keep a child-safe pill bottle next to my sewing machine to put broken needles/pins in. Once it fills up I can just toss it away without worrying that anyone is going to get stabbed.

I have tons of pill bottles and paper towel rolls I've been looking to use, but I am kind of weirded out by using my own pill bottles to store things, also because I don't like the lack of uniformity. I love your idea of using them to store broken needles, and that's an idea I'll definitely borrow. Wink

And I'm on the JoAnn's list, but Michael's is too expensive for me even with the 40% off coupons. And sadly no Hobby Lobby where I live. *Heavy sigh*
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010 06:43:30 PM by Sparkle Motion Dreamer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyflowerbeads
Honey Flower Beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010 06:41:07 PM »

So this may sound strange, but I have a baby and he goes through lots and lots of formula. I have so many cans that I have to throw away b/c they won't take it when I put it in the recycle bin(go figure lol) so if you want I can save them for you. You can do as everyone was saying and take off the wrap. Then just paint it. I saw an article online where all you have to do is drill 3 holes in the bottom and screw it into a wood board. Just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help<3

To see what it looks like click here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Storage_Unit_From_Baby_Formula_Cans/

I tried to post it but I'm new here and it said I had to post more in order to do so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage style with a new twist.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/honeyflowerbeads
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 1/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 14/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 10/28
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 5/6
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 3/6
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...