A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Wellie Socks using King Cole Zig Zag  (Read 886 times)
Tags for this thread: socks , knitty  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittersusie
« on: March 14, 2010 05:16:30 PM »

I just finished these:

All the snow in the UK this winter meant my wellies actually proved to be better shoes than my walking boots, which are lightweight and not waterproof, and my steelies, which just don't seem to have as good grip on snow and are usually covered in mud from work. However they were very cold, and are a little tight on my calves, which rubs a bit.

So I was going to make the ones by Louise Butt in the knitting collection, but on closer inspection realised my calves are far bigger than the largest size given on the pattern. I therefore made up the pattern myself, using this tutorial from knitty: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATsocks101.html for the foot bit and measurements from my leg and a tension square.

As you can see, the yarn did some odd things, but I guess that's self striping yarn. and at least it changed in roughly the same place on both socks. I think the toes look a little pointy too, although there quite comfortable on.

Now I've finished them, I think they're slightly too large around the calf, so I might make some form of garter for them at some point, although at the moment I'll probably just wear them with boots anyway.

Here are a picture of them with my Wellies:

I made a massive ribbed cuff, rather than the frills on the original pattern which I thought would look a little better. It's so huge so I can fold it over or push it down or whatever I feel like at the time. I think next time it would have been better in a thicker yarn for the cuff, and would have looked better with the wellies if I had done that bit with a plain green yarn.

However with these boots, I love them as they are:

All in all, as they are my very first pair of socks, I'm immensly proud of them and I can't wait to wear them out.  Grin

Comments, criticism, and advice absolutely welcome so that the next pair I make (although not for a while - socks that long for legs as big as mine take a long time...) are even more brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010 05:47:03 PM »

I agree, that is some pooling there! But they are lovely socks and I bet you are very proud of them. I know I would be if I could ever get a pair that long made.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyBlue
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010 06:02:44 PM »

They're fantastic! I like the neat pattern the yarn made. It reminds me of those really big balloons that you would tie an elastic to at the end so that you could punch them off your hand...any idea what I'm talking about? lol Anyhow...they're great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
shara
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010 09:05:43 AM »

thye look great!  Next time, if you want them to fit better, measure the top part of your calf (where you want them to start) and keep measuring down your leg so you know where to decrease.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittersusie
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010 10:19:24 AM »

Thanks all! I'm wearing them right now with a pair of patterned tights and they're so comfy after being in scrappy muddy and plain work clothes all day.

Shara - that is what I did, but I think I didn't take into account just how stretchy it would be. Does it make a difference to the stretch if something is knitted straight or in the round? Because my test square was on straight needles, and I swear I measured the tension loads of times, and like I say, they're just a tad loose on the calf and so tending to falling down, although the tights I'm wearing at the moment seem to be giving a much grippier surface than my leg, and it's less of a problem.

Rottenlittleboys: So that's what it's called! I take it this is a common problem. Is there some wonderful trick to get it to stop/reduce it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shara
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010 02:07:34 PM »

I think if you wanted them to fit you would have to go a little less than the gauge would suggest - as most knits do have a little stretch to them.  I added a small band of ribbing on mine so that was able to help the top stay secure.  It is always good to make a small swatch in the round to be sure just because different yarns do different things when worn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lighter Triple-Chocolate Brownie Recipe
Key Lime Pie in a Coconut Cake Recipe
Cranberry and Cherry Brownie Recipe
How to Make a Greek Yogurt Cake
Bakery Creates Croissant-Bagel Hybrid
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...