A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What should I put with this fabric?  (Read 382 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilmissdangerous
« on: March 16, 2010 06:53:49 AM »

I am making a quilt for my sisters graduation present. I ordered this fabric:
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp24036.html?

I got one yard that i black with white skulls and one that is white with black.

I need another yard or so of black fabric with a white design and white fabric with a black design. There is also an accent color, which I'm most likely going to use green or turquoise.

Anyway, I was thinking polka dots or stripes, but am wondering if that would be too much with this pattern? I also thought of doing a few different fat quarters so I could get a good variety of patterns. My mom suggested pairing them with solid black and white blocks.

Input and/or fabric suggestions please.

I'm working on a little sketch of how the blocks are laid out right now so you can see.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010 06:59:44 AM by lilmissdangerous » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwbuggirlie
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010 01:40:29 PM »

It could be too busy with polka dots but it might not be. The biggest determining factors on the busy-ness would be: 1. how big the skulls are and how prominent they are on the background and 2. how big the polka dots are and whether they are tone-on-tone or majorly contrasting colors. Also, how much of the polka dot fabric you use and it's placement could make a difference too. Take your current fabric with you to the shop and see what it looks like with polka dots. I also found that if I photograph it an look at it later, sometimes I notice something I miss. I did that with a design layout that looking at it with just my eyes it looked OK but once I looked at it on my computer screen, I noticed things that my eyes missed, especially with how the fabrics played together.

I like your black & white with an accent color idea and the layout you drew out is nice. Are the bold black lines going to be a different fabric or are they there just to show where the seams are?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
lilmissdangerous
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010 07:38:21 PM »

They are just seam lines.

I bought some fabrics today that I'm hoping will go with them, but if not, i like them and can use them for other things Smiley I had 4 ladies at the fabric store helping me and making suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Difference Between Using Gel and Mousse
The Myth of Using Beer as Natural Hair Shine Product
How to Color Your Hair at Home: Ombré Hair With Box Color
How to Curl Your Hair
How to Curl Your Hair for a Taylor Swift Look
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...