A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding craft bonanza (super image heavy!)  (Read 4246 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_craft , etched_glass , invitation  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maguro
« on: March 13, 2010 10:54:24 PM »

I had a craft party today with my bridesmaids and some girlfriends.... we etched 108 champagne flutes, cut and assembled invitations, lined envelopes, made tags, and cut out fabric squares that will become napkins. More work to be done tomorrow but in the meantime...

The plan for the champagne flutes had to be altered a few times until i came up with a good system. Originally I'd planned to make 4 or 5 reusable stencils but the "reusable" template plastic i bought lost it's stickyness after 2 applications, causing the etching cream to spread. i ended up making a contact paper stencil for each glass using a 2 flower punches and then freehanding the stems with an exacto knife. we made cute little tags to attach to the glass stems to let guests know that they get to take them home.

Tags:

The invite and rsvp card:

I was inspired by this blog posting (http://www.merrimentdesign.com/sewn-invitations.php). Fabric on the back was interfaced, all three layers stitched through, and the flower sewn on at the end.

(of course we had to drink champagne after making all those glasses!)

and the envelopes, lined with scrapbook paper my sister-in-law found on super sale at Ross.

More photos soon when the napkins are made!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010 11:34:07 PM by maguro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010 11:33:18 PM »

you did such an amazing job! I hope to see more crafts for your wedding soon! And, your friends pitching in to help really makes for a fun day. Not to mention the fact that you got something done. I hope you have an easy time of sewing the napkins. Pm me if you get in a snag! I may be able to offer some tips, if you need them.I should be here all day Sunday.
Congrats on your wedding! I'm hoping to be engaged soon myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010 12:57:59 AM »

Wow, they look fantastic ... and what a lovely keepsake for your guests Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
False_desire

A one woman jewellery workshop...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010 08:13:25 AM »

The glasses were such a lovely idea! Everything looks great Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawtmamah
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010 02:57:17 PM »

fantastic! we're going to do something similar with pint glasses:) do you have any tips/advice for using the contact paper with the etching solution? Very cute stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maguro
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010 07:13:11 PM »

fantastic! we're going to do something similar with pint glasses:) do you have any tips/advice for using the contact paper with the etching solution? Very cute stuff!

it works great! the only thing to know is that you have to make a separate stencil for each glass, you can't reuse the contact paper after you wash it off. just make sure you press it down very well before you glop on the etching cream. the contact paper is very easy to xacto as well. Smiley i look forward to seeing yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chellery

We're both social halfwits & I think its fantastic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010 06:49:16 PM »

That's adorable! The hole punch/contact paper idea is pretty brilliant.

Where did you find the champagne flutes? We were thinking of doing something similar that said "Drink me" but have had a tough time finding affordable ones.

The invitations are great, too. I love the font! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every invention, every achievement, has come out of dissatisfaction, not serentiy. No one ever said: 'Things are perfect, let's invent fire.' "
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010 09:37:53 PM »

The stencils would be a breeze with a cricut machine. Or,You could always go to a sign shop and commission them. They would use a stencil vynil similar to contact paper, but it may come in other thicknesses. You could have them cut by the machine as many as you want, and fast.
(I used to use that machine) I'm just not sure what they'd charge. But, it's all done thru the computer, and they can use a PDF file. It would be worth it for a large project like these glasses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maguro
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010 07:09:20 AM »

that's a good suggestion...i just didn't want to spend $100-200 on an extra piece of equipment at this moment. a roll of contact paper cost $3, each punch was $7.99 and i had a michael's coupon for 40% off one of them.

i also like the way that each one came out slightly different via my x-acto knife cutting and flower punch placement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunshinesmiles
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010 11:56:09 PM »

This is a super cute and relatively easy favor idea!
Glass etching is my go-to gift when I'm out of ideas or out of time!

I was just wondering if you had a creative way of asking your girls to be bridesmaids?
I'm trying to think of some cute way to do it and thought of doing a picture of us in a cute frame with "will you be my bridesmaid" in the matting of the picture...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts a Year for 2010: I have to recount...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
German Shepherd/Chow Chow Filmed in High Definition
How to Make a Smooth Rock Music Video
How to Make a Stop-Motion Animation Brick Film
How to Make an Infomercial
How to Light a Green Screen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...