A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,909
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Here's your new sibling...and HEY LOOK A TOY! YAY TOY!  (Read 1124 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feets
« on: March 13, 2010 09:51:15 PM »

(Action shots now added!)

When we found out that I was going to have another baby, our immediate concern was our first child. How could we ease the transition from only child, to big brother? Part of my plan was to buy him a toy to present to him around the same time we first introduced baby.
After a lot of searching, I came to the conclusion that I would much rather just make him a toy. Naturally, I left it till the last minute (I'm within a month of my due date now, and just finished it haha) and so the end result is a little bit hurried. I managed to complete the doll and outfit, from start to finish, in just three nights of staying up super late (early). Hooray pregnancy insomnia!
Also, this is my first ever poppet, dressed in my first ever major outfit alteration! I'm totally addicted now, I must admit.
The poppet pattern is, of course, a direct result of Ghilie's awesomeness. Thank you so much for being so awesome, Ghilie!
( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.0 <- More information on that!)

On to the pictures!

This outfit was a onesie (with feet) that my son wore when he was very little. It was sized at 3 months, and I shrunk it considerably. I took in the back, the sides, the arms, the legs...Got rid of the feet, and a few of the snaps. It snaps closed in the front still, but not down the legs like it used to.

The socks I used are exactly as they were when my son was born. I think they're newborn sized, and they fit the doll perfectly. I chose them because the little train kind of matches the theme of the overall outfit.

NAKED! I didn't sculpt the hands or feet, but I think it looks cute anyway. The thread I used was an interesting mistake... I threaded my machine with a perfect match to the fabric (an old t-shirt, in case you're wondering) but since it was around 2am, I guess it slipped my mind that the bobbin thread was a different colour haha... It's brown, and a little visible in places.

The adorable face... I used a really fuzzy blue yarn for the eyes. The hair took me the longest, but oddly not due to all the wefting. I actually took much longer hand sewing it all on to the head. To cover up my inexperience, I sewed a braid of the same yarn around the hair line to make it all look more even. Cutting the hair was fun, if a little frightening... all that work, I was afraid to mess up haha

Another angle of the face. This one shows a better example of the colour the eyes really are.

When the time finally comes for my to present this, I intend to swaddle it just like baby will be, as an added touch. Tons of action shots will then follow! I hope he likes it as much as I do. (Wish us luck!)

TA-DA! Action shots:

Thank you for looking!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010 02:50:50 PM by feets - Reason: Action Shots » THIS ROCKS   Logged
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010 11:00:16 PM »

It is super cute! He's going to love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010 11:16:43 PM »

This is a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010 08:21:18 AM »

Great idea. I always give a gift to the older children when a new baby comes along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
feets
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010 08:56:40 AM »

Thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010 09:45:24 AM »

good idea! our oldest was seven when the younger was born, so we did extensive repeated talks about the difference between 'new' and 'better' - baby is 'new', therefore lots of attention - NOT better. I'm sure your older will love the toy .... especially because the outfit was HIS outfit. Good job on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
feets
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010 04:27:08 PM »

hehe thank you! I'm hoping it'll work out well. He'll be a month shy of 2 when this one finally escapes, so this should be interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingerpistol

"you can't fire me! i don't work in this VAN!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010 12:43:32 PM »

OHMYGOSH, he is so cute holding his new poppet. almost painfully so.  Shocked)  he OBVIOUSLY loves it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feets
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010 01:23:29 AM »

He does! Spends time buckling it into the baby's swing/chair/carseat, which is super cute hehe
I dare say he learned how to snap buckles together just for this doll lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kid Rated. Mom Approved: Episode 3
Wool by Hugh Howey
Immortal Bird by Doron Weber
Julia Sweeney on Motherhood
Julie Sarkissian on Her Lead Character From Dear Lucy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...