A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: School Dance Punk 80's... HELP  (Read 1156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fabricfightsfire
« on: May 03, 2005 03:06:09 PM »

Uh... i think this is the right board... Well at my school the theme for our dance is punk 80's.... and i have no idea what to wear! I probably don't have enough time to make anything elabrate, and evn tho its not a craft, if you have any suggestions, please contribute!

P.S, I know its a stupid theme but it was either that or ducks! ( which i actually like...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
johnarae89
the queen of cheesiness

i tend to twinkle

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005 05:41:39 PM »

well first off.. is this a casual or really dressy affair?? cuz if it was really dressy it would be fun to raid good will or the salvation army and find a poofy 80's dress..then cut 'er up so it looks good then add some black chunky jewlery
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hoper, a prayer, a magic bean buyer. . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some fax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
amc5
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005 05:51:14 PM »

i found a great 80s dress for a photoshoot in my local theatre/playhouse costume dept, they open it up twice a week for costume hire, or u could try a larger costume hire shop, but the smaller local ones are usually cheaper, so that might be a place to look.
good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fabricfightsfire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005 04:32:06 AM »

well its supposed to be casual, but all my friends got dresses at hot topic for like 50 $! I want to dance tho so it should be easy to dance in! I like the poofy dress idea tho  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
craft-matic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005 06:01:11 AM »

You could do the genuine punk thing.  Make a skirt--go to the thrift store and buy a pair of jeans at least two-sizes to large, in a light-colored wash (or even better, faded black, or pink).  Have you seen the skirts made out of old pairs of jeans?  With the crotch cut and folded over the side and stitched down?  Do it like that only short, and instead of sewing it, affix it with really big safety pins (and lots of them).  You need a wife-beater shirt, and a not-too-big-but-big-enough T-shirt,  Cut it up--slashes through the front, cut the sleeves up the sides (and not in the cute torn-t-shirt flutter sleeve style, ether).  Use safety pins to hold cut up shirt together.  Wear over wife beater.  Pair with striped stockings, or fish-nets.  You'll need some converse shoes,

Or, you could do it Cindy Lauper style, as per above--poofy dress, cut way short to make it tu-tu like. Preferably a red dress.  Wear over fishnets, with giant chunky high-heeled shoes (I mean the old lady kind, not the steve madden kind). 

Lace gloves with the fingers cut off are essential in either case, as are down-to-the-shoulder hoop earrings (construct out of memory wire if need be).  Spray color in your hair--preferably in chunky-skunk-stripes, in red or pink.  Tease your hair until it won't fit through the door, or else fashion it into a mohawk using elmers glue and water.  Jelly bracelets are also a nice touch. 

For inspiration, I recommend renting "Some Kind of Wonderful" and take a cue from Watts, for the punk style, or else Pretty in Pink. 

Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
candysprinkles
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005 07:36:37 AM »

What a fun theme!  My school always had lameones like "Remember me this way" or "a night to remember".  Leg warmers are a key accessory.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005 08:09:42 AM »

Speaking as someone who WAS a punk in the 80s, I'd be interested to know what the dresses from Hot Topic look like  Wink

It depends on whether you want to look authentically punk or whether you just want to evoke some 80s-ness.  If you want to go with the Madonna or Cyndi Lauper look, you could do poofy dress, but it's not really punk.  No leg warmers.  Doc Martens, yes.

The short skirt, fishnet or striped tights, and converse high-tops are spot-on, though.  I definitely wore stuff like that.  My high-tops were purple  Grin

I confess that I did wear jelly bracelets, but only the black ones.  I also wore tons of silver chains, ball chain type, and those metal-studded leather armbands.  We used to wear earrings that didn't match, like one long dangly thing on the left side and just SMALL hoops on the right side.  We used to write things on our clothes with Sharpie pen, and blotched out areas with bleach.

We used to get cheap white t-shirts and paint stuff on them, like band logos or other stuff.  A favorite punk band of the 80s was the Dead Kennedys.  We used to draw their logo on stuff, seen in the upper left corner here (and scroll down, if your dance is gonna be like these photos, I'd go  Wink  ) http://www.deadkennedys.com/history.htm

Black Flag was another band whose logo was ubiquitous -- scroll down to the 2nd page to see Henry Rollins from back in the day: http://www.ipass.net/jthrush/flagpics.htm

And hey, who doens't love The Clash??
http://www.westwaytotheworld.com/frameset_intro.php

This is pretty good:
http://www.answers.com/topic/punk-fashion

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
kevl
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005 11:57:50 AM »

Leather is good too.  A dog collar (with studs) works at the basic level.  A studded leather jacket with the sleeves cut off would be great, but may be pricey.

Boots would be better than clunky heels, IMO.  Combat boots or Docs, but make sure they don't look too polished and new.  Again, chains or studs on the boots would be appropriate.  Strangely enough, pink and lace isn't out of place if it's balanced with enough black, fishnets, or leather.  Or, you could write/draw on the pink/lace with a black marker.

I second the Black Flag and Dead Kennedys.

Don't forget to screw up your hair...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005 03:10:06 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
posted by xmelinda 
Speaking as someone who WAS a punk in the 80s, I'd be interested to know what the dresses from Hot Topic look like  Wink

I can't describe like all 20, but my favorite one is my bast friends. Did any of you watch project runway? Cuz in the final runway show, that huge fuscia dress that jay made? Its like that except black (and machine made/low quality) with fishnets over neon leggings and combat boots! I'll also make sure that after the dance, i'll report how it went!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Alexander Wang Runway Looks for Less
Festival Style for Spring and Summer
How to Be Stylish at Work
Get This Street Style Meets High Fashion Look
The Zoe Report: What To Wear To A Music Festival
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...