A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: do i take my sewing machine WITH me?  (Read 709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

le vikki
« on: May 03, 2005 02:17:59 PM »

okay. so i'm moving half a country away to quebec city for the summer. I got a swanky intern job in a museum, yayy!

i'm making a list of what to pack and i seriously realized that if i don't sew at least once a week i will go INSANE.

..but is it insane to take my sewing machine with me? like, will i really use it? i just see myself hitting up some awesome thrift shop and finding the coolest thing that needs a little editing or something and i'll be stuck with a needle and thread.

??
my friends, parental unit and other assorted hangers on think i'm crazy. i think i'm prefectly sane, thankyouverymuch.
i leave the question to you all!
le vikki
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue1

Crafty Xicanista

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005 06:29:22 PM »

if its not to much trouble, take it! but if it is then maybe you could buy a used one that will get you though but wont be great. if you buy you could get it off of ebay or something and then sell it afterwards.   if the problem is its to big to take, i know they sell these mini sewing machine that have three different stiches, there small and kinda cheap but it would beat hand sewing.
i dont know if this helps but its just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
damaged_paperdoll
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005 06:31:10 PM »

I vote for taking it!  It would be better to take it with you than have someone ship it to you.  The shipping would be very expensive.  Sounds like you have my dream job for the summer.  I'm jealous.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kattghoti
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005 06:59:04 PM »

The way I see it, you can't use it if you don't have it.  Sure, you could always bring cross-stitch, embroidery, crochet, knit etc instead, but sewing is super satisfying.  I brought my sewing machine to school for three months and was able to finish two projects that wouldn't have been finished otherwise.  So if it's not a hassle, totally do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005 05:20:11 AM »

Take it with you.  Two years ago we moved.  a week before that we had an auction to get rid of the stuff we couldn't take.  I put my old machine in the auction, so was without a machine for about a month, until I bought a new one.  Worst month of my sewing life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madeleine09
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005 06:05:41 AM »

Take it with you. I have been without a sewing machine since I moved up to college, and many projects I would like to be doing haven't gotten done, because i refuse to sew them by hand. I started a few projects by hand and then gave up in frustration.

Of course if moving it there is a problem I vote for buying a used one there and then selling it back or donating it to a thrift shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

le vikki
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005 10:10:17 PM »

awesome. the word of craftser reigns. it's going with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 3/4
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 3/12
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 34/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 5/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 35/35
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...