A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Looking for a good BRAINNNNNNS recipe? Check out our Cooking Board!
Total Members: 308,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costume Suggestions: Steampunk or Pirate  (Read 1105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alsielyn
« on: October 25, 2009 10:13:38 PM »

I'm a long-time lurker, and this is also my first post! ^^ So here I go, hope that I don't do too horribly!

I recently started this costume for Halloween ( well, yesterday), and finished it up today. I still have to make the boots, and want to make a cape in case it gets cold. I have this lovely muted purple fleece-like material that I want to use for that. But anyways..... here's my problem:

• Although the costume is complete technically, it feels like it's missing a few things.
  • I really have no idea what sort of things would look good to make it look Steam Punk-y or Pirate-y.

So I'd like a few suggestions regarding that, and also, I would eat to hear what y'all think! Cheesy Without further ado, here I am in my costume! (please forgive the lack of shoes and odd BG)

I used Simplicity pile of flesh 9966, and altered a few things. Most noticeable are the corset, the skirt and overskirt. The skirt and overskirt were supposed to be in one piece, but for simplicity's sake, I made it into two pieces. I also shortened both by about a foot. The skirt material was too thin to have just as one layer, so I made the skirt two panels layered, instead of four panels of one layer. Luckily, that was just large enough to fit my hips. The skirt also has an elastic gathering on the side, just to spice thing up a bit. The overskirt is mainly just shortened, and not hemmed, since the material will not fray. The skirt is similar in that, so it isn't hemmed either.
http://i36.tinypic.com/2z726tg.jpg

Now, the shirt is by far the best part of this whole thing. I barely had enough of this wonderful eyelet  fabric, so I almost didn't pull it off. I actually spent about 5 hours on that thing, making it look best as it could.
http://i33.tinypic.com/9ljsrk.jpg

For the corset, I used this RAAR grr ugggh upholstery fabric that my mom had in our fabric closet for the past few years, never touched. If I were to follow the pile of flesh exactly for the corset, it would have been too big to fit properly, so the modifications were an improvement on the fit. The ties in the back are braided embroidery thread, looped around the buttons using a slip knot.
http://i34.tinypic.com/epho1z.jpg

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, and likely used. Smiley Thank you for looking!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009 10:19:41 PM by Alsielyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 11:26:11 PM »

This looks easier to turn into a pirate than steampunk.

Pull that black skirt closer to your bodice, wrap a wide, bright sash around your middle to get rid of the "gaposis", and tie it at your waist so you've got the ends dangling down. Stick a wide belt with a big buckle on top of the sash. Make a couple of pouches for whatever you want to carry with you, and tie them to the sash or belt. Find a bright, fun scarf & tie it on your hair like a kerchief. Wear the biggest hoop earrings you can find, and the gaudiest, chunkiest chain necklaces you can get your hands on. Striped leggings and/or fishnets would be a good idea, especially paired with tall boots. Try to clash colors as much as possible, it makes a more motley piratey look. And dag the hems of the skirts unevenly, that always screams pirate.

As for steampunk, brass details and a big brain protector. On the front of the bodice, use lots of brass-tone buttons & trim, kinda like this coat: http://www.arniesvintagecostumers.com/1600s1700smens/1600s1700sm14.jpg Epaulets & buttons & trim on the shoulder straps, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alsielyn
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009 08:59:37 PM »

well, I don't have all the necessary equipment for either, but the steampunk stuff is actually much easier for me to get my hands on than all the pirate stuff would be. I can easily get brass things and all sorts of clockwork gear things from my papa's old storage bus, so that's actually not a problem. as for the brain protector.... like a tricorn, or a top brain protector? I have a couple of fedoras, but I don't think they'll work. Cheesy

I also added a dusky purple half-circle cloak to my costume, in case it gets downright freezing. ^^ so soft.... it's fleece-like, so it should keep me toasty. oh, and another reason I wanted to go steampunk is this: I live in the deep South, and the past few Halloween's, it's been boiling, and all that extra fabric would make me waaay to warm. Smiley but hopefully the weather will cool down for that night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DarklyCrafty
Unusual Crafter

Beware: This crafter bites

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010 11:23:39 PM »

Hello.
I know it's nowhere near Halloween but if you like Steampunk and want to get a jump on your Halloween costume (I have a friend who makes hers in July or August...but she procrastinates so it's a must) I suggest Simplicity 2525. It has four variations and style C is very much Steampunk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blood, sweat, & tears: crafting isn't for the faint of heart.

YKYACW you smile like an idiot because your new eat interest informs you that he can sew.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Sheer Fashions This Fall
New Technology To Fight Against Fake Goods
Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez Got Seriously Sexy for 2013 Teen Choice Awards
Teen Choice Awards Best Dressed
Summer 2013 Essential Swimwear
Latest Blog Articles
Beware! Zombunnies!
April 1, 2015 Featured Projects
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Pape... RAAR grrr ugggh!!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...