A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bit Of A Happy, Then Sad Story..  (Read 1742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WizardOfTheStone
« on: March 12, 2010 05:40:49 PM »

Although I've been away for about 1 year. I have been diligently working on hand cutting my own Citrine. The project went very well. However I didn't cool the stones enough and it developed a hair line fracture. Working though this issue I completed the stone (Large emerald cut) and sought someone to polish it. Turning to an old stand by. Gem Mountain, Spruce Pine North Carolina. They reluctantly agreed to polish the stone I cut. Dropping the stone off around Thanksgiving 2009 I asked if I could pick it up just before Xmas.. They agreed..

Xmas came and I received and email explaining that the Citrine was completed and I could pick it up when I asked. However I told my wife (and she knew I was getting the Citrine Polished) that there was a delay in the polishing and we may not be able to get the stone to next year (Jan 2010) Yet there was another issue.. We had just adopted two families for Xmas 2009 and donated and received donations from sponsors for the dinner tree and gifts. So money was tight.

But all good things come to those who wait.. I was asked to goto the store Xmas eve for some more bake goods.. and this gave me a perfect chance to swing by Gem Mountain. Arriving at the shop, I asked if I could see the Citrine.. But I was unable to pay for it.. The Gemologist simply looked at me and said Mary Xmas.. and gave me the Citrine. It was set in a silver ring and I was stunned and how well my workmanship polished up. yet I noticed the hair line fracture.. and wondered. I nearly came to tears.. and I was able to surprise my wife on xmas day with a ring she thought she would get till the new year.

Arriving back at the home stead.. I just could keep this from my wife.. while she looked away.. I place the gift wrapped ring case on the counter.. She turned and caught me.. we both cried.. needless to say.. she was very happy and when I told her the gemologist simply gave it to me and waved the rest of the payments.. well.. you know we cried some more..

After returning home, My wife never took the ring off.. But one day two weeks later she called me in tears.. "The stone fell out and broke into" I explain Its not her fault.. I knew that it was just a matter of time before the hair line gave way. this was my first attempt at cutting a mineral in this manor.. and I've learn allot and come along way. I now have a home made Drip system set up over my Dremel bit to cool the cutting.. video can be seen here (Home Made Drip System) Although I haven't been cutting or had the desire to cut.. my wife was talking the other day about getting me a tile saw.. cheaper then a slab saw.. and would serve it's purpose.

Soon I'll post some images of the tile saw and some of the cuttings I've made.. But in the mean time..

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012 09:04:28 AM by WizardOfTheStone » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Some_Girl
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library. ~ Frank Zappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010 05:55:16 PM »

Cry  Awww. . . I really hate it when such a happy story has a sad ending. Hope the next one turns out better for you, and really shines on the wife's finger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evilkittieninja
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010 06:25:35 PM »

That was so touching.
I think that next time, it'll turn out better and you'll be able to keep it on her finger forever Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010 07:22:32 PM »

awe Sad  It looks like it would have been beautiful!!   I too hope the next one comes away with no fractures, and lasts forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coma
Magic Finding-Lady

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010 11:12:42 PM »

Jerilyn, I think you are misreading the situation. To me it sounded like he went to look at how it turned out with the intention of picking it up at a later date, not in an attempt to make the gemologist feel guilty. The gemologist chose to waive the payments, he wasn't forced to do so, so I don't think anyone was 'taking money out of his pocket'.

Wizard, I think it is a nice story and it is wonderful that your family 'adopted' two other ones at Christmas. That time of year is tighter than usual for any family no matter their finances the rest of the year. It does look like it was a very pretty stone. I hope you try again now that you have the drip system in place. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010 07:28:40 PM »

It can most likely be fixed if you don't mind the hairline crack still being visible after repair. Have you ever worked with UV glue before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.ets y.com >>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build Your Own Volcano
How to Make a Statue of Liberty Crown for the 4th Of July
How to Make a 4th of July Hat
How to Make 4th of July Flag Invitations
How to Make Handmade Books
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...