A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 309,976
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro Jewelry Display - Vintage Padded Fabric and Frame  (Read 6580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skeptis
« on: March 12, 2010 04:40:12 PM »

My first posted project:)

Upcycled frame and fabric jewelry display. Great for necklaces and chokers that don't look good just hanging down.

I found a large vintage frame and painted it with leftover house paint. I kept the plywood back but if you don't have one you can buy a piece and get it cut to size really cheap especially if your hardware store has leftovers for sale.

I used upholstery foam from a fabric store and glued it with hot glue to the plywood. You can carefully peel away some layers of foam so it's not too thick (and use for another frame). Cutting it can be tricky and I had to use a large rotary fabric cutter. This is the only material I actually spent money on:)

I found a beautiful large piece of vintage fabric with a bit of a shine to it. The more matte cottons don't look as nice. Depending on the type of jewelry a solid color works better than a patterned or multicolored fabric unless it's very subtle. You can test out the fabric before hand by placing some jewelry on it on the floor.

The fabric was wrapped to the foam/board and stapled to the back with a staple gun. You want to get it quite tight so the pins you will use later have a nice compact foam to stick in.

I used the same technique I'd learned to stretch canvas on a frame. Start the staples in the middle and work towards the corners but alternating between opposite sides every time you make a staple...if that makes any sense:)

To wedge the padded fabric board in the frame I nailed finishing nails at an angle in the frame. Don't nail them in straight down or they will poke out the front! Tongue If you need a better idea just take a look at the back of framed artwork to see how it's done. If you have a heavy duty staple gun you can use staples instead of nails but regular staples and staple guns are not strong enough.

To hold jewelry you only need to use long sewing pins with heads stuck in almost vertically in the foam - the weight of the jewelry will force the pin upwards towards the board which will keep it stuck. You don't need to stick the pins into the board - just the foam will hold them beautifully.

For traveling to craft shows, I kept the more sturdy jewelry on there and used extra pins to keep the necklaces from swinging. I also used painters tape: it won't leave residue on your stuff and you can keep it and re-use after the show. I bought a large inexpensive pad of newsprint at the art supply shop to wrap the whole thing. This made setting up a breeze!

I'm still working on a way to make these free standing but if you're making really small ones it's possible to use a decorative plate holder or a small easel.

I have a few additional designs i will also be sharing:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010 10:21:52 PM »

this is such a good idea Smiley thanks for sharing - i'm always on the lookout for old vintage frames but haven't found any good ones yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
skeptis
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010 08:25:03 AM »

I find mine at second-hand shops and some were also just left outside on garbage day. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Hot Hot Pads
March 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...