A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pot holder  (Read 1607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

korok

Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2010 11:49:41 AM »

Hi there!  I made this back in January, but I thought I would post it!  It's a pot-holder/trivet, made with new fabrics, and some vintage linens.  The tree applique is made of old t-shirts.  I used 4 layers of quilt batting (may use more next time) and did some free-motion quilting.  Now it just needs a little hanging loop.

front:

back:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010 12:06:24 PM »

Have you used this on hot pots yet?  Was four layers of batting enough?

I am thinking of making some of these for my kitchen, but I'm not sure how much batting to use, that's why I'm asking.  I know they make heat resistant material for these kinds of projects but I would rather use what I already have around the house instead of spending money I don't have.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
seamlessgem
The family that raves together, stays together...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010 12:33:03 PM »

pot holder?
I thought it was a mini art quilt! V nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010 12:37:08 PM »

Oh, it's lovely!  I love the variety of patterns.  I'd hang it on my wall, not in my kitchen!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010 01:01:11 PM »

Thanks for the kind words!  Smiley I'm in the process of making some mini-art quilts that have trees on them.  I think I'll finish them now!  You've given me more confidence!

As for the holding of pots, I actually use it more as a trivet.  It's adequate for short-term pot or cookie sheet holding, a quick transfer, but not holding longer than 30 seconds.  I think I'll use more batting next time, or possibly a cotton batting in stead of polyester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010 08:50:24 PM »

Thanks for the kind words!  Smiley I'm in the process of making some mini-art quilts that have trees on them.  I think I'll finish them now!  You've given me more confidence!

As for the holding of pots, I actually use it more as a trivet.  It's adequate for short-term pot or cookie sheet holding, a quick transfer, but not holding longer than 30 seconds.  I think I'll use more batting next time, or possibly a cotton batting in stead of polyester.

I have some cotton batting set aside, thanks for the tip, I will try that out for sure!

The reason I love your potholder so much is that it really DOES look like a mini art quilt hung up on the wall when it's not in use.  I hate the generic ones I have right now, they are all either solid red or have apples with burn holes in them, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010 04:12:23 PM »

I found this on the internet for different types of fill for pot-holders, and their effectiveness.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5825087_material-fill-quilted-potholder_.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010 04:46:40 PM »

Great info!  It got me thinking that I could probably take apart the pot holders I have and use the filling in them if I need it.  I really think the batting that I have will work, but I'm still in the planning stages so I'm not sure. Hmmm.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TCinTX
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010 06:01:20 PM »

Lovely! It looks like art, not typical kitchen decor.

I've made a lot of potholders and have found that natural fibers work best for the inner layers. 3 or 4 layers of cotton batting are usually enough. I also made one recently using a piece of a felted wool blanket, and that worked great - thick and very heat-resistant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010 06:39:15 PM »

Wool was mentioned in that link with the information about fillers.  Sounds like I may have to keep an eye out for some wool blankets at the thrift shops. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gary Greenberg Talks About Manufacture Depression
Jonathan Alter Reveals His Motto
An Author Chat with Julia DeVillers and Hillary Homzie Part 3
Meet Author Elizabeth Aston
Wild Horse Annie and the Last of the Mustangs Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...