A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Millinery (hat making) class in Seattle?  (Read 4359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mikania
« on: May 03, 2005 01:35:20 PM »

Does anyone know where one can learn to make hats in Seattle? I don't have a car, so I perfer somewhere in Seattle (preferrably not Queen Ann since the bus system is awful there).  If you know of any place on the Eastside (Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond, etc.) that has classes, I'd be interested for future reference.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005 02:16:52 PM by Mikania » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005 01:20:08 AM »

I would give a call to the Weaving Works in the U-district they offer all sorts of fiber-arts classes and I think that even if they don't offer the classes they would be able to direct you in the right direction.  Maybe check out the ASUW's Experimental College also.  Their classes are open both to UW students and the general public, although students get discounted prices. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikania
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005 12:15:16 PM »

I've lived near the UW for five years now so I know the area really well.  Neither Weaving Works nor Acorn Street Yarns have been much help since they both deal with yarn.  There used to be a hat store on 35th Ave NE (near Acorn Street), but they went out of business over a year ago.

After much digging around using Google, I discovered that there is a Beginning Hat Making class taught by Izzie Lewis during the Summer through the Experiemntal College. According to a random Seattle Magazine article I ran into, she used to teach three levels of hat making through the EC regularly. The beginning class makes a buckram hat, the second makes a felt hat, and the third makes straw hats. Sadly, it doesn't seem she teaches as often now since there wasn't even a course offered this Spring and only the beginning course is offered during the Summer.

Anyway, thanks so much for the reply! I've been looking for hat making classes around here since December when I decided to make my boyfriend a straw hat modeled after a character in some cartoon he loves.  Originally, I was going to buy a straw hat and personalize it. But then I found out that the shape and style I wanted weren't commonly sold these days. Since I wanted something really authentic, my next idea was to make the entire thing from scratch. Thus, my finding a hat making class saga began...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005 09:08:57 PM »

These aren't classes, but perhaps some resources to find a teacher/classes:

http://www.hathathat.com/hatchat.html

http://www.how2hats.com/

http://www.thehatmagazine.com/

I'd also check with the community colleges (central & north, I think)--perhaps they offer a class in millnery for their fashion design students. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
izzielewis
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010 05:03:24 PM »

I know you posted a long time ago - but just in case, I have been teaching millinery in Seattle for about 20 years. I'm in West Seattle. Izzie Lewis Millinery. Let me know if you're still interested! I teach through the Experimental College at the University of Washington or privately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 User Interface Tutorial
Pixel Light Painting
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...