A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Vote, on the Rocks  (Read 3969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motokitty
« on: March 03, 2004 05:13:31 PM »

So... Here's my story about voter registration, and adding a little craftiness to boot.

4 of my lady friends and I take voting very seriously, and wholeheartedly believe everybody of legal voting age should be participating in the process. It amazes me how many people out there aren't registered to vote. It's silly. I can think of 10 things off the top of my head which a) take longer than voting, and b) hurt a lot more than voting.

We've started a group here in Portland, OR called 'Your Vote, on the Rocks (tm)', and what we're doing is actually going into local bars (with permission, of course) sitting down, and registering people to Vote.

Our first outing was this past weekend, we were set up for 4 hours, and got 17 people registered.

We've hand made over 300 1" buttons so far, made stickers, did our own matchbooks, etc.  We've gotten some funding so far, but not much. It's covering our basics.

We're trying to make the process fun, and encourage people to get out the Vote this election year. We figure that people are going to be in bars anyhow, so we'll come to them.

If you're in Portland, and interested in volunteering, let me know.

Our website www.voteontherocks.org is coming soon.

love,
cari

pics and logos: http://vote.textamerica.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004 05:20:00 PM »

awesome grafics.   Grin

I love the idea of going to bars.  I never would have thought of it!  I know the actual registration process takes all of two seconds (I just went and did it after they botched up my absenty one - grrrrr to state of michigan), and you're a lot more likely to vote if you're already registered.  great way to target the young folk!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiwi
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004 04:03:43 PM »

You're "middle finger" logo rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theczarina

if you were a mermaid, i was the sea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004 10:39:32 PM »

this idea is sooo amazing.  i would LOVE to do that in my area [boston, ma]!!!  any ideas about branching into other chapters in other states?  or do you mind if others just take a cue from you and start their own bar registration thingy?  i don't want to rip you off, but i LOVE the idea, and know some places that would probably like to participate.  if you could email me [thelastczarina@hotmail.com] about this, i'd love to discuss it further.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004 10:41:04 PM by theczarina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want god, I want poetry, I want danger, I want freedom, I want goodness, I want sin" - Aldous Huxley
CircusManager220
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004 04:07:05 PM »

I take voting more seriously than half the teachers at my school. It made me incredibly sad when I realized this. I am 15 years old. I want to vote so badly. And even though I can't vote I keep up with what is going on and talk to people who I want elected. I try to convince them to vote for the person I want elected so that my vote is in. I do many things to try and get in on the action, but a 15 year old can only do so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
grrr betsy
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004 04:38:17 PM »

I take voting more seriously than half the teachers at my school. It made me incredibly sad when I realized this. I am 15 years old. I want to vote so badly. And even though I can't vote I keep up with what is going on and talk to people who I want elected. I try to convince them to vote for the person I want elected so that my vote is in. I do many things to try and get in on the action, but a 15 year old can only do so much.

i know exactly how you feel. i'm 16 and i've been wishing i could vote for a few years and i think i take it more seriously than a lot of people. it makes me so angry that so many stupid morons can vote but i can't. grrr.
and it makes me mad that people would live in this country and NOT vote. i mean, what's the point of living in the u.s. at that rate? and i really can't stand how people bitch about the country but don't vote.
or don't vote for 3rd party candidates whose positions they believe in because it's "pointless"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
philipgolden
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004 07:55:33 PM »

I heard that you are trying to put together a benefit at the Tonic. Please consider my band Mission to Mars. We very much respect what you're doing and would love to donate our blood, sweat and time. You can check out some of our music at pdxbands.com.

email me! philipgolden at comcast dot net
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nemi

Where'd I put that?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004 12:13:24 PM »

This is *totally* awsome.  When you feel set-up, how about considering another chapter group?  I'll be a charter member for Tucson, AZ.

^_^  I kinda need someone to direct me, so this isn't something I think I could run out and do myself - organizing a group is not my thing - But I would love making buttons, and talking to people.

If you like the idea, contact me at cadet_kyanite at hotmail dot com.  I'm sure i can russtle up some barhoppers to help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004 08:52:29 AM »

What a fantastic idea!  Are you still doing this?  I'd love to hear more about how it's going, especially now that we're getting so close to November, and some states have deadlines about when you can register before an election.  I know a bunch of bartenders here (Vermont) who might be willing to help with a registration drive.  We're not exactly a battleground state, but I truly believe every vote counts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theczarina

if you were a mermaid, i was the sea

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004 11:00:39 AM »

after some perusing, i discovered a nationwide group that's kinda like this, if anyone wants to check it out.  it's Music for America.  they list shows in your area and you volunteer to work whatever shows you want.  it's really cool.  check out www.musicforamerica.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want god, I want poetry, I want danger, I want freedom, I want goodness, I want sin" - Aldous Huxley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Style to Your Outfit in Just One Minute
How to Wear White for Winter
Who Wore It Best? Kim Kardashian Vs Rihanna
Rihanna & Kanye West Rock The Urban Skirt: VIBE VIXEN Style Profile
How to Make Your Own Feathered Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...