A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Mini Book & Potions Locker - PIC HEAVY  (Read 4967 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , book , potion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tapestrymlp
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~Tapestry~

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 11, 2010 08:52:36 PM »

I just finished up my very first swap on Craftster and am rather proud of how it all came together. Thought I'd share details here. The swap theme was One Tiny Harry Potter Thing and we had to craft something under 4". I immediately thought of doing a miniature book. I make mini potions labels and bottles for fun already and I just knew they'd be perfect and I could tuck them inside the book. I created a book from the series called Moste Potent Potions and inside included a recipe for Polyjuice Potion along with the required ingredients to make polyjuice in their own individual little bottles.

Here are the results:

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures until I was done, but here's how it came together:

First I got a gift card "book" from Barnes & Noble. Then using an exacto I separated the pages box from the outer cover and then painted the outer cover with several coats of black paint. Next I applied some grey scrapbook paper as a new endpaper for the inside and then glued the pages box back in place. I crafted tiny shelves and the bottom potions area from light cardboard and glued it in place before painting the interior. Next, I cut out little decorations for inside the box: a potions bottle, mini cauldron & poison bottle. I glued those in place after painting them and allowing them to dry. The potions labels for my tiny bottles are based on a vintage package design, only wizarded up a bit - I made it in Photoshop before printing them out and applying to mini bottles.

Filling the bottles was easy for four of the ingredients, but the last two needed some extra work. The bottles had to contain: knotgrass, fluxweed, powdered bicorn horn, boomslang skin, lacewing flies and leeches. For the leeches and lacewing flies I spent an evening crafting tiny leeches and flies out of polymer clay. The flies wings were cut from semi-opaque vellum.

I used some pretty silver stickers to adorn the front of the book and painted a cool jewelry medallion I found for the front cover so it would match my silver and black color scheme.

For the finishing touch I printed out a teeny, tiny copy of the page of Moste Potente Potions from the Chamber of Secrets movie containing the Polyjuice Potion recipe, making sure to distress it a bit and put some wholes. Then I made tiny polymer clay thumbtacks and glued the recipe and thumbtacks in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Tapestry~

Visit my Etsy store for magical crafts & whimsical figures, http://petitepotions.etsy.com
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010 08:56:39 PM »

Oh my gosh! this is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010 09:03:49 PM »

Oh my goodness,,,, it is so tiny!!! AWESOME!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010 09:29:29 PM »

I'm the recipient of said potions book and 12 hours later I still can't stop smiling every time I look at it.  it's so neat!  oh, and I forgot to mention that I am jealous of the patience you had in making the leeches and lacewing flies.  and I thought I saw something in with the flies.  Wink  I just love this little thing!  I thank you again!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010 07:53:05 AM »

For the love of all things Potter, this is soooo awesome! I'm amazed at your patience and dexterity! Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
KMOM13
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010 12:33:40 AM »

This is fabulous and I hit the "This Rocks" button.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xandcraft
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010 02:45:33 AM »

What a great idea. I really love it. Whole thing appeals to me so much with all the detail.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jesse_blue
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010 11:43:00 AM »

Wow! Good idea and brilliant work. ilove it! Especially all the little potions, just great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady_sepulchre
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010 06:14:01 PM »

I clicked this rocks before i was even done reading the description. LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Saviors and Saints and Devils and Heathens alike..She'll eat you alive.~*
http://www.wists.com/lady_sepulchre
MAF R6 Swap-working on #3
Psych Swap-delayed
My Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladysepulchre
Personal swap hiatus due to health issues.
iuliasuavis
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010 06:50:50 PM »

This is really cool. I like all the little details you put into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-iuliasuavis
I am a library school student- follow me to hear about books and other fun-related things!
http://twitter.com/iuliasuavis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Z
How to Draw Etou Misaki from Dragon Crisis
How to Draw Alejandro from Total Drama World Tour
How to Draw Dino
How to Paint With an Air Compressor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...