A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beer coasters i have collected from bars around the world ...  (Read 881 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toaster
« on: May 03, 2005 01:23:07 PM »

i started holding on to beer coasters from breweries and bars as i traveled, and now i have an eclectic enough collection to want to show them off (and not squander them since many i can never replace) but i'm not really attached to them so i don't mind shellacking, cutting, pasting, or otherwise permanently maiming them.

i've seen table tops with thick shellac/resin/waxy looking tops glossing over old newspaper clippings, etc., which look cool and seem durable, but i am a renter so i can't do anything permanent to my countertops and don't have much room for new furniture to play with. any ideas to utilize the beer coasters (or spice up my house in a non-permanent sort of way) ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have techno-crafty ideas? need advice on how to make your video or computer project happen? let's talk!
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005 02:42:08 PM »

make curtains out of them? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Zombie_Teeth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bike Punk

X VEGAN X

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005 02:46:42 PM »

why not make a table with the resin instead. Like, don't hurt your counter, just put the coasters and resin on a table top. You could also make some rad wall art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey guys,
Sorry about all the old broken picture posts. I no longer have the files!

simply
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005 02:48:26 PM »

buy one of those giant picture frames and tile them in there? if you've kept any unique bottles you could get the shadow boxes and have the coaster for a background.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005 03:23:51 PM »

I would get a corkboard, and glue the coasters all over it, and use it as a bulletin board.  Of course, that's only if you don't mind sticking pins in them.   

Or you could use them as covers for little round or hexagonal handmade notebooks. 

Or, use them to make little pocketable "pouches" by sewing a bit of fabric in between two of them, and then having some kind of elastic closure (sort of like a book clutch, but littler), maybe polyeurethaned for longevity. 

Or you could use them as....coasters.  But shellaced and hence durable.

If you do the tabletop (which would also be cool), you could collect a few plain American (British?  Other?) ones, and have some of them white-side up, so that the cool ones "pop" out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005 04:21:18 PM »

You could still do a counter, or part of it, if you found a glass-topped table at a thrift store.  Just put your coasters underneath the glass and have a cool cutting board.  You could waterproof it either by waterproofing the coasters themselves or by useing some of that calking tape stuff they make, though I have NO idea how permanent that is, as far as hurting the existing countertop.  Of course, even some silicone beaded around the outside edge of the tabletop would help the waterproofing.  You could just bead it on around the outside edge and let it dry, then it would be semi-pliable and would also act as a grip to keep the glass in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Malibukasey
If your stomach feels weak then, my work here is done

(::) (::)

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005 02:03:02 PM »

If your into bookbinding make a nifty tiny giant scrapbook that holds your coasters and have each page tell a short story about how you accumulated each one and then set it on your coffee table as a "coffee table book of coasters" if you will. Watch the conversations fly. You can brag about it without having to be the one who brings it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toaster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005 03:25:14 PM »

thanks, guys. these are all really great ideas. i like the cutting them up thing--a sort of mosaic.  now i have to decide between a wall hanging or a table-top.   Grin

thanks for helping getting the ideas flowing, i hope to return the favor !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have techno-crafty ideas? need advice on how to make your video or computer project happen? let's talk!
hankpiece
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005 06:39:48 AM »

You could make a new top for your counter by cutting some plywood to the exact shape and size of the counter and then doing whatever you want to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Robyn Lisa
Avid Reader

Jewrific

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 03:04:01 PM »

get one of those shelves with little cubby holes that people use to display tea cups and use the coasters as background for the cubbies

like these, but with beer coasters in the back:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style a Topknot Two Ways: Sleek Vs. Messy
How to Create a Selena Gomez-Inspired Updo
How to Boost Your Roots For Fine or Thick Hair
3 Spring Styles to Inspire Your Next Haircut
Osis Dust It Mattifying Powder Review
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...