A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need a pattern for novice knitter  (Read 610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KillerDorothy
« on: March 11, 2010 05:03:20 PM »

HI there.

So we just found out that my boyfriend's sister is pregnant. So that gives me about 9 months to knit something. Does anyone know of any cute, easy, knitting patterns for babies?

I havent really knit much from a pattern yet, so I cant do anything fancy. Also, it should probably be something fairly simple. I procrastinate a lot and it takes me forever to knit something simple like a scarf. Anything geeky or alternative would be great also. This couple is into video games and pokemon and tattoos and something like that would be right up their alley.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Just when the caterpillar though the world was over, it became a butterfly~
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010 06:33:19 PM »

There are loads of baby patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com and www.dailyknitter.com though they're more conventional. But you can use nonbaby colors like red or purple or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Riki
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010 07:08:02 PM »

That's a great site that soozeq gave you ...

one suggestion from my end would be a blanket - i know it sounds large, but you can do one on big needles with several yarns all together and just use the knit stitch. Choose bright, funky colors and combine them in odd ways - get a big needle and just knit away, going back and forth! If you keep it by your chair and pick it up each time you sit down to watch TV or something, before you know it, it'll be done! (and the advantage of a blanket is that they don't grow out of it, which is a big problem when you knit clothing for a baby!)

Here's a link to the one I was thinking of (though there are so many more!): http://www.knitting-crochet.com/hotdamn.html

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SassyRedhead
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010 06:40:46 AM »

If you join Ravelry, you can search by project category -> baby.

I'm a big fan of yellow and green for babies when you don't know the gender yet. Just remember that it should be soft if it will be next to the skin, the parents would probably be appreciative if it was machine washable, and that babies are all kinds of crazy sizes, so when in doubt, knit it bigger so it has more chance of it fitting at some point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
KillerDorothy
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010 01:51:32 AM »

Thanks. I think I'm going to make a blanket. (since I am pretty sure I'll be able to do that) In the meantime, I'll try other patterns and practice. Maybe by the time that baby is coming, I'll be able to do a sweater or something.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Just when the caterpillar though the world was over, it became a butterfly~
Riki
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010 10:00:48 PM »

And of course the good thing is that babies don't grow out of blankets like they do sweaters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tangy Grilled Salmon Filet Recipe
Devilish Deviled Eggs Recipe
Cajun Shrimp Sauté Recipe
Succulent Grilled Ribeye Steak Recipe
Juicy Kitchen Grilled Chicken Strips Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...