A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MP in silicone molds cloudy on bottom?  (Read 1154 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 11, 2010 01:41:30 PM »

Hi again!

Here with a question - I've switched to some new molds -- all silicone from WSP -- and I love their size/shape/weight everything... except the soap that is poured in the bottom of the mold that touches the silicone bottom (so the "good" side when popped out) is cloudy. I spritz the soap after I've finished the mold on the top and the top ("back" side when popped out) is really clear. But that top/good side is totally cloudy and I don't know what to do about it. I've tried spritzing rubbing alcohol in the mold before pouring as well, but it doesn't seem to really help.

Any ideas? Anyone else used silicone molds for their MP soaps and been able to not have it be cloudy on the top once it's popped out? Anything I can do to remedy this... either in the prep or afterwards to make my soap nice and crystal clear again? I 've not changed soap base, but in comparison... the silicone mold looks cloudy on that one side compared to the crystal clear soap I was making in the old plastic molds. Sad

Halp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010 03:26:51 PM »

That sounds really odd Sad  Do you have any pics of how it looks? Is it just on the very top layer or does it go down a ways into the soap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010 05:04:33 PM »

ok here are some comparison shots. The first two are ones I did previously in the plastic molds. They are nearly crystal clear - no bubbles, nothing cloudy or weird. They are about 3/4ths of an inch thick.

The next four are examples I made this evening in silicone molds. All are cloudy but seem clearer on the "bottom" where I spritz after I pour. I tried spritzing the inside of the molds with rubbing alcohol before pouring, but it didn't seem to help:

wtf? Sad The new bars are 1" thick, so a quarter inch thicker, but I don't see why that would make the bars seem "frosted" instead of crystal clear.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010 05:06:46 PM by toque - Reason: photo links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010 05:31:38 PM »

Bummer! Yeah, that is really noticeable. Have you tried scratching it or dry buffing it or wetting/rubbing to see if it comes off?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010 05:31:52 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

troll1984
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010 05:54:04 PM »

Ok, I can't help you with your problem, but OMG, I LOVE the Ubuntu soap. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashley's Wife, Austin and Allie's Mommy!

My Photography, My Blog, My Shop, My Wist
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010 06:30:52 PM »

Thanks troll1984!

Mare: It's totally weird, right? I did wet and then rub the top a bit and it did seem to help some, but there's still some "specklies" that won't go away. It's just not as clear as the plastic molds. I feel like pulling out my hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010 06:38:30 PM »

I wonder if it's trapping heat or something? Silicon molds are generally sturdier/heavier than plastic ones, right? Maybe try pouring at a really really low heat, like just before it's starting to skim over on top?

It's like the Twilight Zone of soap!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010 06:39:33 PM »

Oh, you said you hadn't changed base, so I took that to mean it's the same brand, but is it a different batch? Like had you just re-ordered?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010 06:45:07 PM »

It's all the same brand, same type and by batch it may have been a different container, but ordered all together from WSP. I dunno at this point!

I am going to try again tomorrow and try to pour it during the twilight zone (hahaha) temperature, continue spritzing a little rubbing alcohol on the bottom first and see how it goes. Maybe I'll find just the right combination? I sure hope so!

Thanks for your help! If there are any other suggestions, let me know! I'll report back tomorrow after a little experimentation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wwrich

Elsbeth's Mom

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010 06:48:59 PM »

I should start out with I love your soaps.  I did something similar a couple of years ago, but I was embedding 3D shapes.  I could never achieve the really clear crisp lines that you seem to get.

This may seem a weird question, but what do the molds feel like inside?  Do they feel smooth or just a little rough.  The silicon molds that I have gotten all feel just a little rough inside, and everything I pulled out has the same slightly rough texture.  That texture would make it appear cloudy -- just like scratches on clear plastic.

The ice cubes I did got more clear after they melted just a little bit (and the surface wasn't rough anymore).  What would happen if you rinsed your soaps with water to reduce that texture?  Is there something that could "polish" a soap?  Rub with a damp cloth?  Something silk?  Maybe something hard -- they polish leather by rubbing it with glass rods.  Could you spray or dip them in something to give a nice smooth/clear outside?  (I know they do that with resin objects).  Maybe melt the surface just a tiny bit after you take them out of the molds?  A hot plate or a nice smooth frying pan?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wrap Bottles
How to Wrap Gifts with Cellophane
How to Make Ribbons into Bows
How to Wrap Flowers
How to Gift Wrap a CD
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...