A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with an Ikea nightstand  (Read 3071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

c2afwife
« on: March 10, 2010 08:51:04 PM »

This nightstand comes from my before marriage life. It doesn't really fit into my decorating style, which is has a lot to do with antiques and shabby chic/french country. It's a bit too modern for me. Anyone have any ideas what I can do with it? Or should I just chuck it?

This is what it looks like:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010 09:04:52 PM »

you could paint the stand with some of the crackle paint or put some nails in a sock and distress the stand by hitting the stand.  there are so many choices.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
photocinegrl
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010 09:08:38 PM »

You can always go to michaels and get nice paper, or even fabric and decoupage it.  You can get paper that looks kinda antique. You might replace the wheels with something else more to your taste.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 09:14:42 PM by photocinegrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenaknits?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010 09:24:36 PM »

You could put a little curtain across the front after painting and distressing it.  Or you could get strips of balsa molding (you can find it in the woodworking area of the craft store), frame out the shelves and then paint it.  I do like the idea the other person had about the crackle paint, that does create a really neat effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RuneAriala
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010 11:18:56 PM »

The wheels can easily be replaced with other feet by visiting the wood section of your local big box hardware store, and you could possibly put a curtain on the front for an easy fix.  You could even get some antique white crackle paint for an easy update to the maple finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoveNTheOcean
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010 12:38:54 AM »

Wallpaper: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/inspiration/hilarys-diy-wallpaper-nightstand-project-101058

Painting: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/jan-jumpstart-2008-midwest/midwest-14-the-upholstered-nightstand-project-041590

Adding mirror: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/tables-side-table/diy-the-affordable-bedside-table-makeover-066785

Fabric: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/diy/adding-fabric-to-a-bookcase-058619

Useful ideas/information hopefully.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010 06:35:37 AM »

You could sew a slipcover to cover the entire thing.  Just leave the front panel so you can either remove it with velcro or roll it up so you can access the inner shelf.  Here's one idea: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/file-cabinet-cover-ups/

ETA:  I'm quite sure the One Yard Wonders book has a file cabinet slipcover pattern.  If you could get your hands on the book, I'm sure it'd be easy enough to modify to fit over this cabinet, if the instructions from the Better Homes and Gardens site don't make sense.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010 06:45:40 AM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010 08:53:50 PM »

I was looking at that and thinking it would be nice if you could put a pale, diffuse light in it, and then put rice paper panels in the open areas and it could be a lit stand, with very soft ambient lighting too.  There are some gorgeous patterned papers, or fabrics you could use, and paint the stand to comliment if you wish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Idle Hands
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010 06:36:46 PM »

I probably would paint it to match the rest of your decor with some kind of antique-y finish then put baskets on each shelf that are also painted either white or a coordinating color. For the baskets I'd probably use regular spray paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
dfont
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010 06:04:52 PM »

I would make it into a bar cart
Something similar to this shelf turned bar cart
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/jan-jumpstart-2008-southwest/southwest-1-theresas-bookcase-bar--040954
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
H&M Launches Model Off Duty Collection
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @Melanee
Lululemon Recalls See Through Yoga Pants
5 Ways To Wear Bermuda Shorts
Selena Gomez Gets Sexy in Sequins and Lace
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...