A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Piece DIY Cloth Menstrual Pads *Tutorial*  (Read 66706 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sedrasmom
« on: May 03, 2005 12:07:02 PM »

One piece cloth pads are super easy to make and use. They're basically a towel sewn between two outer layers of flannel, with wrap-around flaps for attaching them to underwear. To wear them, you fold the pad in thirds and snap them on. Because they unfold flat, they don't take too long to dry. These work great alone, or as a backup to a menstrual cup or sponge (both excellent tampon alternatives) or for those "maybe I'll start my period today" days  because unlike disposable pads, they can be worn all day (they're just fabric, after all). They are soft and comfy, and, needless to say, because they are reusable they are both economically and ecologically sound!

To make a one piece pad, start by cutting two 9x9 inch squares of flannel and one of terrycloth (I use old towels). Sew them together very close to the edge (I use the edge of my presser foot as a guide) with the right sides of the flannel facing each other, and the towel on top. Leave a little opening for turning the whole thing right-side out. Turn it so the flannel is on the outside, then stitch the opening closed. I sew all the way around just so it looks consistent, but you could just sew the opening if you wanted to.

*VARIATIONS* If you want to make longer pads, use a 9 inch width but increase the length to 12 or 13 inches or whatever suits you. If you want to make lighter-duty pads, you could just cut a 3 inch strip of terrycloth and sew it onto the middle of one of the flannel pieces rather than using a towel as big as the whole pad. You could also use other fabric to for the flaps if you don't want to use your decorative flannel. I sometimes use denim from old blue jeans.

Cut two sets of little  flaps, about 2 1/2 by 3 inches with rounded corners. Sew them and turn them right-side out.

Facing inward towards the center of the pad, overlap the pad flaps a little, and pin them smack dab to the center of the top of the pad. If you pin them to the center of the pad, there's no way you could sew them on incorrectly. Fold the pad in thirds, turn the raw edges of the pad flaps under,and pin them in place right where the pad is folded. Unfold the pad and sew the flaps down securely (I sew 2-3 rows for reinforcement).

Attach snaps to the flaps (or velcro, or another fastener of your choice).

That's all there is to it! Now you can sit back and marvel at your creative feat of menstrual self-sufficiency!

Happy Crafting!!!
 Cheesy
[/color]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005 11:18:03 AM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
cyclamen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005 12:18:59 PM »

These are awesome!

I'm really lazy so I have about twelve pads that are a washcloth and flannel square sewn back to back.  The rest are just a bunch of dark colored washcloths from walmart, with a little red x sewn in the corner just in case anyone is confused about what they are for.  Wink  They're a lot thicker than this and yours doesn't seem to be much more work so I think I might make a few for myself...  thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LisaMarie

Everybody's got their something

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005 04:30:26 PM »

im sorry, but thats really just kind of gross.
What's gross is all the waste that's created by all the disposable tampons and pads... Undecided

Thanks for the tute, I always thought about making them but was too lazy to make up a pattern. It's kinda funny how you used such cute fabric, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005 05:10:20 PM »

im sorry, but thats really just kind of gross.

Is it any grosser than cloth diapers for babies? Or underwear?? Really what's the difference?

Personally I think it's awesome & inspiring to not be reliant on some giant company when I can make something just as good for myself. It's truly inspiring that so many peeps here on craftster do as well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005 06:59:23 PM »

When I first saw the other post for diy cloth pads I thought it was gross but then thinking about it (and reading some of the posts) I relized how not gross it was, lol. Just like worthwhilegirl said is it any grosser than cloth diapers or underwear, it isn't....

But I wear tampons, lol, I am so done with pads, sorry...

<3, Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
sedrasmom
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005 10:05:33 PM »

Cloth pads are practical and resourceful, not to mention traditional. Why do you think they call it being on the rag?

Monica

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005 10:39:14 PM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
puppcake
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005 10:06:54 PM »

Huh Maybe I'm having a blonde moment but I don't understand how these would be able to wear longer then an hour or so...without leaking through and onto pants?

And to the person who thought they were gross. You have to remember back in the 1800's and even into the 1900's there were no "Always All Days" Or "Tampax" you used a rag and washed it out. Gross?! - no, people being to spoiled by new age "technology"? - Yes. Also there is people who have reactions from the materials in pads and tampons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.--------.
/ |6  6| \
{/(_o_)\}
 _/    \_
(/ /^\ \)---'
 '''      '''
Cheers; Jami
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005 12:23:04 AM »

As to the gross/not gross topic this thread has developed into, these are my meddling two cents
 Tongue

1.) Everyone is totally entitled to her opinion on gross/not gross.  However, it's cool to keep an open mind both ways.  (I was in the "gross" camp until this month.  Now I'm so miserably allergic to the commercial products I'm willing to try ANYTHING and at least thinking of it in crafty terms is getting me pseudo-psyched up for my attempt with the reusables later this month.)

2.)  I think we might be getting slightly off the spirit of the topic by debating this.  It's a great tute, crazy props to sedrasmom for posting it (and taking such good pictures AND using cute monkey fabric, there I said it!).  I appreciate a good tute when I see one, even if it's for something I would SOOOO never wear or use (many tutes in the jewelry category fall into this category for me.  I just don't wear jewelry very often).  It's just awesome to craft and to share.

that's all Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005 12:33:01 AM by djungelorms friend » THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005 01:33:51 AM »

this is so much easier than the ones i've made! do you find more bunching with these, since they're so square? mine are all curved, which i assumed is to fit better, but if the easier ones work better, i'm all for that!

i'm sorry that this has started to get into immature commentary, because it's honestly great. some people need to grow up a bit before they open their mouth. (if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all) i find cloth pads so comfy. i can't use tampons, and purchased pads react really badly to my skin. my only option has been a cup, but i can't wear it (or tampons even, back when i wore tampons) when i'm sick, so cloth pads are great when i've got bronchitis. and cloth pads are soo much better for your body!

for the people asking about leaking, my pads, which are a bit different than this, have a layer at the bottom of the pad that's made of water resistant material, much like a windbreaker. i find that helps a lot, though on my heaviest day (always the first day, but that's probably TMI), it can leak through. i'm thinking of making some more with an actual layer of plastic at the bottom, just for that day. i'm sure you could add that layer to this tutorial if you have a heavy enough flow to warrant it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
stardreamer

It's over now, the music of the night

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005 08:02:34 AM »

I have been trying to figure out a better way to make cloth pads, yours are just awesome! I will have to have a go at it soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kate
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Sport Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Shutter Priority Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Image Resolution Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Image Quality Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...