A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap ** With Tute! ** (picture heavy)  (Read 41913 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2010 09:29:52 AM »

My mom and I make this all the time , I love it and it makes soooo much Smiley its the only thing that takes my hair dye outta the shower curtain lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2010 03:13:00 PM »

Ok, finally gave this a go and well..it didn't turn out so well. 13 hours after putting the lid on, I have a 5 gallon bucket of liquid, no clumps or thickening at all. What did I do wrong? Reading over all the comments and back and forths, I think that my problems could have been the fact that I stopped the final stirring after just a few minutes, when I thought that it should be mixed well, just because of the fact that I couldn't see any part that wasn't homogenous. Also, my borax was clumpy...does that really make a difference? I broke up the clumps before measuring...also I know it's been said that soap is soap, but I used Dove Sensitive Skin No Frgrance...it should still have worked, right? Last question, even though it never gelled, can I still use this liquid as a concentrate? Thanks!

That might not be soap, if it uses the words "beauty bar" or "cleansing bar" it is probably syndets, synthetic detergents, which are not soap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
greenfaerie
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2010 08:50:56 PM »

Dove is not soap. I know that for a fact, they even run commercials bragging about it.  Try it again with actual soap (most "soap" you get in the soap aisle is exactly what Maremare said, detergent).  Ivory, Fels Naptha, Octagon, and any handmade soap from an artisan that's 100% real soap should work.

As far as using it, I don't know what it would do.  Perhaps this would be a great time to wash some rags and find out lol. 

For future reference, when you stir the concentrate, you'll feel it thickening, kind of like making pudding or from scratch alfredo sauce.  Fortunately, it goes a lot quicker.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2011 04:10:13 PM »

I just want to thank the poster for getting this info out there so effectively!  I have just now run out of my first bucket of soap, and made up my second. It was cake! once you have the stuff, it takes like half an hour tops, and you can multitask while doing some of it, too. 

I introduced the idea to my mother, and now she uses this, too!

So awesome, no more buying that stuff from the store anymore, for me!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bragginrightsbath

Braggin' Rights Bath

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2011 05:45:35 AM »

I make this at home all the time and would never use anything else- you don't even need fabric softener when you use this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tracy Cornell
Braggin' Rights Bath
http://BragginRightsBath.com
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2011 03:57:57 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2011 11:36:07 AM »

First off- Thanks so much for the awesome Tutorial. I have tried this (to the letter) twice now and have each time ended up with the egg-drop soup er...egg-drop soap. I've have of course used it because this is initially all about saving $. I say initially 'cause now I'm obsessed with getting it right. I am wondering if using my homemade (cp) soap is the problem. I used 5 oz of my typical stuff- with about a 6-7 % superfat content.  SOOOO- could that be the problem ? Does Fels Naptha have a higher lye ratio ? I visited their web-site to see if I could figure out what that ratio might be- all I could really get was that it had a warning on the package about being an eye and skin irritant.

Until I get it "right' I feel like I'm not measuring the soap correctly because it's a great deal of water in the mixture so I'm not sure how much to use. So I'm using more than I think I need - just in case. Anyway I went through the 5 gallons pretty quickly. We're a family of six with one in cloth diapers.
Wondering if I should make a small batch of 'stout' lye-heavy soap to use for the laundry recipe to see if that would work.

???What do ya'll think ? Huh      

btw Thanks whoever it was who came up with the description egg-drop soup- PERFECT description !!

Okay- finally used up the soupy soap and was able to make more- I first made a batch of LYE_HEAVY soap and used it instead of my usual superfatted soap that I have around for bathing- The new soap worked- I think that was the answer to my "egg-drop soup soap" _ I now have a GREAT gel ! WITH Little to no water on top at all !!!   
Yeah- I think I solved the mystery Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 07:17:50 AM by Eclecticlyfe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
Craftsomnia
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2011 07:08:11 PM »

Great informative Tute!   I would think too if you are worried about the mold growing.. which can happen.. to use a preservative for the batch, there are many different types you can purchase from soap making websites that are used for lotions to keep them from growing...
just a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leadmomma
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2011 10:39:30 AM »

I love all this information -- we've been doing this for about a year or so - my only info to add -- some plastic containers (recycled regular laundry detergent bottles) leaked somehow -- not sure why or how - everything was sealed, but somehow the liquid got out. So we used glass jars as storage.

We call it laundry snot   Smiley

I've tried the powered tutorials and found that didn't dissolve properly in the wash - and I would find a handful of soap pebbles in the dryer. I'll stick w/liquid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty DIY Housewife
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2011 08:13:15 AM »

Love to see I'm not the only one making homemade laundry detergent!! I've been making it for about 3 years and I never plan to buy store brand again!! I personally have used probably every kind of soap there is and I've been pleased with all of it so far! I once used some Zest (can't remember the scent) but it made the detergent a pumpkin orange color! laundry detergent can be pretty!! Awesome tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back to School Lunch Ideas For Kids
Sneak Peek at Wild New Four Seasons Resort Restaurant
Mixed Kale and Collard Chicken Caesar Salad With Cornbread Croutons
How to Make Egg Mayonnaise
Risotto Jambalaya by Chef Danielle Saunders
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...