A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap ** With Tute! ** (picture heavy)  (Read 41816 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thorgunna
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2010 04:20:53 PM »

I had this on my Wists for what seemed like forever until I used up my last container of laundry detergent.  I used Fels Naptha because I still wanted some scent and didn't really feel feel like messing with EO (although I think I will be using Kirk's with my next batch so I can scent it myself).  I LOVE it!!!!  I think it works even better than the last two laundry detergents I've tried because it finally got this weird musty scent out of my spare comforter.  I'd washed it multiple times with other detergents but it still smelled weird and I hated to throw it out because I like it so much and now it smells good again!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2010 07:23:05 AM »

My grocery store stopped selling Fels-Naptha, but I was able to get 4 bars of it on eBay cheaper than I could have gotten in the store anyways. So if anyone else is still having trouble finding it check eBay out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaurelC43
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2010 09:08:31 PM »

Had to register so I could reply to this...

I have been making my own liquid laundry detergent for awhile now.  I started doing so when I was first divorced and BROKE.  I still make it even though I can now afford to buy detergent in the store.  It's FUN and VERY gratifying!  (I also make my own vanilla extract, soap, body butter, and a few other things because I LIKE squeezing a penny until it BLEEDS!  I also make these thing BETTER than what you can buy in the stores!)

When I make my detergent, I put the water and soap shreds in a large glass measuring cup and zap it in the microwave rather than cooking it on the stove.  It's a LOT easier and FASTER!  I use a stick blender to mix it (as I do with my soap) and after it turns to gel.  (I mix the water back into the gel.)  When I want to transfer it to an old laundry detergent bottle, I just put a few blobs back into the measuring cup and heat it again in the microwave.  It will turn into a nice thick laundry detergent that you can pour into the container but will then gel back up so that you have to SHAKE the container before trying to use it.

BTW, I live in Texas.  We'll do just about ANYTHING to keep from using the stove or oven in the summer!

Just my two cents...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaurelC43
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2010 09:11:25 PM »

Oh yeah, one more thing...

If you're NOT allergic to fragrances, don't forget to use all those little soaps you get in hotels!  I travel a lot and have decided I have enough soap to last me the rest of my life. Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ranchelmarie
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2010 04:23:51 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has used this soap or any other homemade laundry soap, on cloth diapers. I'm expecting my first baby and want to try cloth diapering, but would also like to save some money on detergent. I assume since so many people with sensitive skin have said it works for them, it would probably safe for baby items, too, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2010 04:42:54 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has used this soap or any other homemade laundry soap, on cloth diapers. I'm expecting my first baby and want to try cloth diapering, but would also like to save some money on detergent. I assume since so many people with sensitive skin have said it works for them, it would probably safe for baby items, too, right?
Try it! Baby skin is highly sensitive for the first few months or so, so it may not work, but you'll always have it for your own clothes.

If it doesn't work, use vinegar to wash the baby's stuff instead of detergent (much cheaper and works like a charm) - 1 cup of plain white vinegar per 1 large load of clothing instead of washing soap. Almost 100% guarantee not to have a reaction, and the scent disappears as it dries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ranchelmarie
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2010 05:42:23 AM »

Thanks confuzzle, I use vinegar in the rinse anyway, so I'll keep that as a backup in case this soap doesn't work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2010 07:31:11 AM »

I have used this on some of my diapers with no problems. I would not recommend using this on any diaper covers with PUL, as it will break it down and cause leaks (trust me on this one!)
Welcome to cloth diapering! I've been doing it for a couple of years, and although I'm no expert feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manpan
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2010 11:08:23 AM »

I am due with my first child in about six weeks and plan to cloth diaper.  I ordered my cloth diapers from Green Mountain Diapers and they sent an instruction sheet with them.  They do not recommend borax in large amounts (which seems to apply to this recipe) because it may not all rinse out of the diapers and leave residue which can inhibit the absorbency factor.  It's a tricky call, I've heard of some people having good luck with the homemade stuff with cloth diapers but I personally don't want to risk it because I spent a good amount of money on the diapers.  Borax may be a good disinfectant in small amounts and occasional use though.  Also, don't use any soap for your own clothes that you wouldn't want to use on the diapers because residues build up in the machine.

I plan on trying this recipe maybe a few years down the road when I'm done with diapers or if I give up on cloth diapers (which hopefully won't happen, but I'm new at this).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tgrsbug
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2010 08:56:49 AM »

Ok, finally gave this a go and well..it didn't turn out so well. 13 hours after putting the lid on, I have a 5 gallon bucket of liquid, no clumps or thickening at all. What did I do wrong? Reading over all the comments and back and forths, I think that my problems could have been the fact that I stopped the final stirring after just a few minutes, when I thought that it should be mixed well, just because of the fact that I couldn't see any part that wasn't homogenous. Also, my borax was clumpy...does that really make a difference? I broke up the clumps before measuring...also I know it's been said that soap is soap, but I used Dove Sensitive Skin No Frgrance...it should still have worked, right? Last question, even though it never gelled, can I still use this liquid as a concentrate? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare for Hair Highlighting
Hair Highlighting Tips
Highlighting your Hair
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
How to Do an Emo Haircut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...