A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,511
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap ** With Tute! ** (picture heavy)  (Read 42460 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2010 08:32:04 PM »

Yay! I picked up the last of my supplies today and made my laundry soap. Hubby didn't complain about the smell, but did comment that it smelled like a laundromat while I was melting down the soap.  I used Zote's pink bar.
I want to go peek at it, but I am trying to be good and leave it alone overnight. Wink  I can't wait to see it tomorrow and do a load of laundry to see how it works. (I never thought I'd say that I WANT to do laundry!)

Ooooh, what does Zote's pink bar smell like? I've heard of it, but have never seen it around here. I've always wanted to try it, but every description of it describes it as being "lightly scented." Well that's not very helpful!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2010 08:48:55 PM »

Yay! I picked up the last of my supplies today and made my laundry soap. Hubby didn't complain about the smell, but did comment that it smelled like a laundromat while I was melting down the soap.  I used Zote's pink bar.
I want to go peek at it, but I am trying to be good and leave it alone overnight. Wink  I can't wait to see it tomorrow and do a load of laundry to see how it works. (I never thought I'd say that I WANT to do laundry!)

Ooooh, what does Zote's pink bar smell like? I've heard of it, but have never seen it around here. I've always wanted to try it, but every description of it describes it as being "lightly scented." Well that's not very helpful!  Cheesy

It has a lemony scent to it. It's pretty light - couldn't really smell it though the wrapper. Hubby said it smelled like pledge when I was grating and melting it. I'm betting there's not much scent left after washing.
I also picked up a bar of fels-naptha (sp?) that I am going to try next.  ...well, after I use up the 5 gallons I just made Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2010 09:59:58 PM »

love the tute and Im going to try to make some this weekend. I make alot of our other stuff homemade so why not laundry soap? with 3 kids and a guy who love to work on cars I go through ALOT of laundry soap.
One question...some one mentioned putting dawn in theirs to help fight grease...how much of that did you put? that really caught my eye because I use dawn as a pretreater when the boyfriend comes in with grease all over his cloths...that seems t be the only thing that takes the grease out so putting some of that in the homemade detergent is an awesome idea. So if anyone could let me know how much to add Id be terribly thankfull Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2010 08:33:08 AM »

Testing out my laundry soap right now! I did notice a fair amount of water in my bucket after letting it sit overnight. Maybe 2 inches on top and maybe 1/4"-1/2" on the sides.  Is this normal? I just re-read the directions and realized I didn't use hot water to fill the bucket. Is that crucial? Cheesy
After reading that it still works wonderfully even if the consistency isn't right, I'm hopeful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2010 10:15:40 AM »

Hot water helps make sure everything dissolves easy and well, but in all honesty I doubt the cold water would affect it TOO much. So long as you mixed well. That amount of condensation is totally normal and fine. Should be good to go! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2010 10:05:25 AM »

love the tute and Im going to try to make some this weekend. I make alot of our other stuff homemade so why not laundry soap? with 3 kids and a guy who love to work on cars I go through ALOT of laundry soap.
One question...some one mentioned putting dawn in theirs to help fight grease...how much of that did you put? that really caught my eye because I use dawn as a pretreater when the boyfriend comes in with grease all over his cloths...that seems t be the only thing that takes the grease out so putting some of that in the homemade detergent is an awesome idea. So if anyone could let me know how much to add Id be terribly thankfull Smiley

I'm not sure how much to add to the detergent, but I do use Dawn every once in a while to strip my son's diapers, especially if I accidently get any rash ointment on them. I use a tablespoon per load. I've found that it is most effective if washed on hot. You may need to do an extra rinse.

I also just made this detergent, It works just as good if not better than any other brand I've tried. Thank you so much for posting the tute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
llisaredd
“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” - Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2010 12:32:55 PM »

I've been using a HUUUUGE box of laundry detergent for over a year and a half now. I'm almost out and plan on making this Smiley I'm really looking forward to making my own. Now to read through all the pages to see if there are tips/suggestions I've missed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainya
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2010 12:33:09 PM »

I made this a few weeks ago and I love it! My husband did the eye roll, but then he did the math of how much money I saved us and then I got the hug. =)

I used the exact ingredients in the tute and didn't add any fragrance, my clothe come out smelling like clean water so it's a big win. My skin is also loving the fact that their are no extra perfumes.

Great Tute and actually a lot of fun to make. I feel all proud of myself that I made it too. My mom actually stole half my bucket of soap to use herself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Courage is......when you are the only one that knows you are scared stupid."

My DeviantArt = http://rainya.deviantart.com/
My Blog = http://squirrelcandy.wordpress.com/
Nymeria

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2010 07:51:48 PM »

I made this a few weeks ago and I love it! My husband did the eye roll, but then he did the math of how much money I saved us and then I got the hug. =)

I used the exact ingredients in the tute and didn't add any fragrance, my clothe come out smelling like clean water so it's a big win. My skin is also loving the fact that their are no extra perfumes.

Great Tute and actually a lot of fun to make. I feel all proud of myself that I made it too. My mom actually stole half my bucket of soap to use herself!

Huzzah! Glad it worked out for you, and your mom! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommaviv
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010 09:12:20 PM »

Grin   Thanks so much for sharing.  We used something similar that used Ivory soap years ago because my son was irritated by other soaps.  Now I am going to make it for myself....was much easier on my clothes and a great money saver.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A little madness now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...