A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap ** With Tute! ** (picture heavy)  (Read 43095 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CAMPERTRONNN
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010 05:42:27 AM »

Awesome tute!!!

Just a note on HE washers, if you use liquid store bought brands (even HE specific) most are made with animal fats and will cause the seal around your door to get mouldy and smelly!! So I imagine this would be perfect to avoid that!!
Also it is recommended that you wipe down the inside of the glass door and leave the door wide open so the seal can dry after doing laundry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minowisbitt8lo
I'm your thing in a jar...all illuminated

valerian dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010 11:53:31 AM »

Just a quickie to say soapsgonebuy.com is where I got my washing soda when I couldn't find it anywhere else.  They have all the laundry soaps like FN, Zote, Octagon, Grandpa's Kirks (including all of those really cool Kirk's bars that are clear) etc.  Another place to check if you're having trouble finding the stuff for this.

Oh, and another member of the powder camp here!!  The homemade powder dissolves SUPER and I have never once had a clump. 

Lastly, Apple Cider Vinegar in your wash is a great fabric softener and combats the hard-water dingies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"see, if we all thought the same way, we'd all have the same ideas.  it's a good thing to be different.  but minowis...what ARE you doing with that?"

CHOWI!!  I'm swapping again!
Dotees Round 9
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010 12:18:42 PM »

Yay! I do this as well, but with ZOTE. Works great! And I am a super picky textiles nerd...So I put this stuff to the test, and it passed! Another tip, Vinegar rinses out soap better, mixed 50 50 with fabric softener you have  not overwhelming, not "cotton candy" feeling, static free laundry! I throw that mixture in a downey ball, works like a charm. Oh! And bluing is the best thing for whites and denim I have ever found! Can you tell I take laundry seriously? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010 04:03:00 PM »

Just a quickie to say soapsgonebuy.com is where I got my washing soda when I couldn't find it anywhere else.  They have all the laundry soaps like FN, Zote, Octagon, Grandpa's Kirks (including all of those really cool Kirk's bars that are clear) etc.  Another place to check if you're having trouble finding the stuff for this.

Oh, and another member of the powder camp here!!  The homemade powder dissolves SUPER and I have never once had a clump. 

Lastly, Apple Cider Vinegar in your wash is a great fabric softener and combats the hard-water dingies!

Oooh thanks for the link! I'll have to add it to our B&B suppliers list. I can't believe they have Octagon, that stuff is the bomb! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010 02:37:30 AM »

Fantastic tutorial!! I have been wanting to try this for ages but was wary of spending heaps of time on a laundry washer that didn't wash properly Cheesy

Thanks so much for the fantastic recipe and tutorial. I bet this stuff is heeeaaaps cheaper than the store bought stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010 07:34:29 AM »

Fantastic tutorial!! I have been wanting to try this for ages but was wary of spending heaps of time on a laundry washer that didn't wash properly Cheesy

Thanks so much for the fantastic recipe and tutorial. I bet this stuff is heeeaaaps cheaper than the store bought stuff.

Woot, so glad to hear! Viva la laundry revolution! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010 07:43:19 AM »

I'm posting to tell you that I'm leaving to go buy Apple Cider Vinegar right now! We have a bad case of hard water, and it shows/can feel it on our clothes. Thanks for another great tip! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2010 01:10:01 PM »

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have wanted to try making my own laundry soap for a while now, and this tutorial makes it so non-intimidating Smiley I love how I can address skin sensitivity issues by changing the type of bar soap used. And, one of the reasons I switched from liquid to powder detergent was because I read that I was paying for mostly water. But, I find I have to use warm water to get the powder to dissolve. So, making my own gel concentrate and then diluting it myself is the perfect solution.

I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to use it all quickly enough, so I think I'll be sharing it with some friends (or I could just do the math and make a smaller batch Grin ). Thanks again for sharing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
greenfaerie
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010 11:45:21 PM »

I just made our big batch!!  Somehow with the color of soap I used (half a bar of fels and half a bar of white handmade soap) it turned out looking less like snot and more like another bodily fluid.  Yeep!  Well, the hubby's laughing, and the clothes are clean.  It was very fun to make, too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
javamama
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010 08:44:01 PM »

I have been making the powdered recipe mentioned several pages earlier, and love it. I made a liquid version a couple times and never got consistent results, but the powdered has worked well for us. Maybe I should try the liquid again, but I never got a gel. I just got  kind of foamy soap flakes in the top of a watery mess. Oh well. Our clothes are getting clean regardless!
Thanks for the great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Christmas Gourd Snowman
How to Turn Regular Socks Into Non-Skid Slipper Socks
How to Make Christmas Party Hats
How to Make Your Own Mud Boots
How to Make Beer Hats
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...