A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap ** With Tute! ** (picture heavy)  (Read 48561 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Trellowyn
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2010 10:13:02 PM »

Glad this got posted on FB or I wouldn't have found it.  I've been planning to try to make soap for a while now.  This looks perfect. Thanks for posting it!  Grin

I would like to mention something.  A lot of people seem to want to make their soap to help deal with skin sensitivity.  They should realize that using fragrance oils of any kind may cause more harm than good.  They are made with many chemicals and possibly a small amount of essential oils.  You'll never know what you're putting in your soap, because they aren't forced to tell us what the fragrances are made with.  That's a whole mess of possible irritants. 

It's usually better to buy an essential oil from a trusted source.  There are ground rules for skin sensitivity there as well, like never use a citrus, verbena, mints and cinnamon.  But the folks selling the EO's can help steer them towards safer alternatives.  Lavender, tea tree, orange blossom, sandalwood, ylang ylang, etc...  I personally use Naturesgift.com.  The lady that runs that company is an amazing published source of knowledge in the field and is happy to teach anybody who asks her questions.  Her oils seem to be top drawer as well and you know how they were derived.  I've also used Aura Cacia with great success.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isnessofwhatis
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2010 02:19:25 AM »

I did two tests the past two days, monday I used just vinegar and Tuesday I used the vinegar/liquid fabric softener combo.  I found that just the vinegar was fine for things like t-shirts but things were SOOOOO much better with the vinegar/softener combo.  It gave about the same feeling line dried (or in my case foldable laundry rack dried) as they do coming out of the dryer.  It was nice to read that I wasn't so crazy after all for formulating that mixture in my head. 

After I did that I said to myself "next up is making my own laundry soap."  Then I opened up my facebook and there it was, a tute to make my own soap!!!  YIPPEEEEE!!!!! 

I've read how some of the peeps here have used it for other cleaning tasks around the house.  I wonder if I could dilute it to maybe 3:1 or maybe even 4:1, put it in a spray bottle, with one of the scent combos that use tea tree oil and use it as my general cleaner for counter tops.  The tea tree oil would make it a good disinfectant.  I would think you could also use this on floors.  I'm a single person with no kids so a 1/4 batch would last me a good amount of time. 

I could so totally sell this stuff at our local farmers market (I live in a smaller town).  People here are really into using natural stuff.  Package it in recycled bottles and viola!  An all natural laundry soap that's cheaper than the regular national brands (that had to travel from who knows where) and WAYYYYYYYY cheaper than the natural brands in the grocery store.  hmmm....  plans are being formed in my head.....  Why do my best ideas always come at 4am?

Ok, enough for now.  I'm so excited.  I'll make a test batch and let some people use it to see how they like it and maybe sell it from there.  Some people just don't want to take the time to make stuff like this and would gladly pay $0.15-0.20 per load.  I've got tons of time to do stuff like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap ATC size "pillows" with my fellow teesha moore peeps.
isnessofwhatis
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2010 02:24:41 AM »

Very good point about the EO.  A good source is a MUST.  There is a couple who own a little shop in a nearby town that sell the REALLY good stuff.  I would buy my oils from them not only because I'd be getting the real deal but I'd also be supporting a local business.

Glad this got posted on FB or I wouldn't have found it.  I've been planning to try to make soap for a while now.  This looks perfect. Thanks for posting it!  Grin

I would like to mention something.  A lot of people seem to want to make their soap to help deal with skin sensitivity.  They should realize that using fragrance oils of any kind may cause more harm than good.  They are made with many chemicals and possibly a small amount of essential oils.  You'll never know what you're putting in your soap, because they aren't forced to tell us what the fragrances are made with.  That's a whole mess of possible irritants. 

It's usually better to buy an essential oil from a trusted source.  There are ground rules for skin sensitivity there as well, like never use a citrus, verbena, mints and cinnamon.  But the folks selling the EO's can help steer them towards safer alternatives.  Lavender, tea tree, orange blossom, sandalwood, ylang ylang, etc...  I personally use Naturesgift.com.  The lady that runs that company is an amazing published source of knowledge in the field and is happy to teach anybody who asks her questions.  Her oils seem to be top drawer as well and you know how they were derived.  I've also used Aura Cacia with great success.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap ATC size "pillows" with my fellow teesha moore peeps.
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2010 06:22:31 AM »

I made a massive batch of this soap and am currently storing it in my old lidded nappy bucket Cheesy

It is FANTASTIC!! Using a 1:1 water to soap ratio I have gone through 2 liters already and found all the washing to be completely clean and fresh. I even gave some to my Mum and Nan.

This stuff goes sooo far and I think I paid about $8 for all the ingredients, and I can easily get another 2-3 lots from those ingredients.

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe, I plan to experiment with the recipe to make a mild handwash for the house. With a toddler we go through so much soap it's not funny and I hate the harsh store-bought soaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2010 03:10:11 PM »

SWEET just made up my first batch today!

Notes:  

HOLY WOW Washing Soda is hard to find in my area! (Olympia, WA). I finally found it at the Tumwater Ace Hardware. Borax I found at the local Food Co-op in bulk. I can't believe the driving around, searching, phone calling, Even checking at a local Compounding Pharmacy (They did have it, but not without a note from my doctor, and then it was apparently pharmacy grade stuff, and cost $45/lb OUCH) before I found it at the hardware store.  WHEW, crazy, but so worth it!

My concentrate never achieved viscosity during mixing. I mean, It was thicker than plain water, but not much at all. Probably won't be a problem, though, other people seem to have noticed this as well! EDIT: It gelled up real nice after letting it sit overnight!

I used a plain unscented bar of soap, and the whole process had no smell at all! Very nice.

I plan to use it in liquid form, diluting it in milk jugs, and adding EO at that time. I'm a crazy one, so I plan to use a different EO every time I refill, for variety! Current plans include Peppermint, Grapefruit and Anise!

I'm not skin-sensitive  to a very great degree, so the main reason I'm doing this is for Scent-variety, thriftiness, and craftiness, in that order!  

Hubby and I both cannot WAIT for subtly peppermint-scented clothing, WOOT!

Thank you so much for this awesome tute!  I also noticed it on Facebook! Thanks for the Facebook page! <3

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 04:51:39 PM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainya
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2010 03:15:17 PM »

SWEET just made up my first batch today!

Notes:  

HOLY WOW Washing Soda is hard to find in my area! (Olympia, WA). I finally found it at the Tumwater Ace Hardware. Borax I found at the local Food Co-op in bulk. I can't believe the driving around, searching, phone calling, Even checking at a local Compounding Pharmacy (They did have it, but not without a note from my doctor, and then it was apparently pharmacy grade stuff, and cost $45/lb OUCH) before I found it at the hardware store.  WHEW, crazy, but so worth it!

My concentrate never achieved viscosity. I mean, It was thicker than plain water, but not much at all. Probably won't be a problem, though, other people seem to have noticed this as well!

I used a plain unscented bar of soap, and the whole process had no smell at all! Very nice.

I plan to use it in liquid form, diluting it in milk jugs, and adding EO at that time. I'm a crazy one, so I plan to use a different EO every time I refill, for variety! Current plans include Peppermint, Grapefruit and Anise!

I'm not skin-sensitive  to a very great degree, so the main reason I'm doing this is for Scent-variety, thriftiness, and craftiness, in that order!  

Hubby and I both cannot WAIT for subtly peppermint-scented clothing, WOOT!

Thank you so much for this awesome tute!  I also noticed it on Facebook! Thanks for the Facebook page! <3

I live in Auburn, Wa and I found all the ingredients at Fred Meyer. They had it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Courage is......when you are the only one that knows you are scared stupid."

My DeviantArt = http://rainya.deviantart.com/
My Blog = http://squirrelcandy.wordpress.com/
Sillybowtie
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2010 09:17:39 PM »

I have been using this soap since November and I love it. I have 2 hedgehogs that use fleece liners and it makes them smell new. The only scent is from the pink Zote soap.
I thought the idea of the bucket was a bad idea because I would make a mess putting the liquid in the other container. We had one of these water containers already and it has the perfect spout. You can find it in the camping section at Wal-mart for less than $20.

It does take a lot of room but it is well worth the money and not having to carry laundry soap from the grocery store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2010 12:35:17 PM »

I just have to say how amazing this stuff is. It got red fruit punch out of daughter's white cotton dress. My mother in law said it got temporary hair dye out of her sweatshirt.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2010 02:11:19 AM »

I am so excited to see this tute! so thoughtful and detailed too Smiley It has been fascinating to read and learn and am itching to make my own. I love the idea of customizing things for your own life! Smiley

I had a few questions.
1- I wear a lot of black. Do you know if using this type of detergent can fade it worse than a mid price detergent from the store like Arm & Hammer
2- I wear a lot of strechy clothing, can this detergent cause them to break down easily or faster than a store bought in mid price range like Arm $ hammer

if anyone knows or has time I would be so appreciative Smiley

brooke

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
anchorageb2
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2010 11:34:21 AM »

I am so excited to see this tute! so thoughtful and detailed too Smiley It has been fascinating to read and learn and am itching to make my own. I love the idea of customizing things for your own life! Smiley

I had a few questions.
1- I wear a lot of black. Do you know if using this type of detergent can fade it worse than a mid price detergent from the store like Arm & Hammer
2- I wear a lot of strechy clothing, can this detergent cause them to break down easily or faster than a store bought in mid price range like Arm $ hammer

if anyone knows or has time I would be so appreciative Smiley

brooke

Brooke
If you wear a lot of black. when you first get your clothes you should soak them in vinegar and water over night. This pickles the color into the fabric. It makes it so the color fades less  and is less likely to bleed out.

Most stretchy fabrics actually break down from acidic products like your body sweat or heat from a dryer. However if you are worried about it this product can be diluted even more.

It can also be used to clean your tub if you have a grease monkey. just add it and grab your broom and sweep the soap all over the tub/ shower area.

It is the soap our grandmothers used.It is gonna have more natural ingredients than the store bought stuff that add tons of scent so when it sits on shelves, warehouses, trucks, and your laundry room it does not sour and be unpleasant.
Borax is not toxic and can be found in makeup. That should tell you how natural and back to the basics the soap is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Playback Option in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Load and Play the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Recording Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With the Actions Panel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Increase the Productivity in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...