A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap ** With Tute! ** (picture heavy)  (Read 41828 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mscris

I'm a supa star!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2011 11:01:25 AM »

Me and my 8 yr old DD made a batch of this over the weekend! It turned out perfect! It really works! The smell isn't too much, just a nice clean, fresh smell. She was so excited the next day when I opened the bucket to see the final product! I got strange looks from my husband, but I think he was secretly impressed with me! I will definitely make this again! I love it!  Any suggestions for a home made fabric softener?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing as if no one is listening
Dance as if no one is watching
Love as if you have never been loved before.
moondanz
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2011 10:27:19 AM »

Thank you for this tutorial. I've collected this recipe (or similar, honestly can't remember) several times over the years, but never got around to making it, but I've been consuming the craftster site like a mad woman since I stumbled upon it. I just can't believe I haven't stumbled upon it before now as I see this forum has been around for so long....but better late then never Wink

I just have one question....(which I probably should have asked before I started this, but ..well that's how I roll) Am I understanding correctly that the end result is 10 gallons of laundry soap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2011 10:34:00 AM »

Thank you for this tutorial. I've collected this recipe (or similar, honestly can't remember) several times over the years, but never got around to making it, but I've been consuming the craftster site like a mad woman since I stumbled upon it. I just can't believe I haven't stumbled upon it before now as I see this forum has been around for so long....but better late then never Wink

I just have one question....(which I probably should have asked before I started this, but ..well that's how I roll) Am I understanding correctly that the end result is 10 gallons of laundry soap?

Glad you found Craftster!

No, it's a little less than 5 gallons.

ETA: oh I see what you mean, yeah the way Nymeria dilutes it does make about 10 gallons. I just use it at the gel stage and use less.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011 10:36:28 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
moondanz
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2011 09:00:17 PM »

Thank you so much. I have been scrambling for containers and developed a somewhat complicated system here LOL I have 3 small laundry containers from the dollar tree that I filled half with water and half with gel (that took up 14 oz LOL) and a 100 oz laundry container from the super market that is filled with the gel. I figure I'll use that container to fill the smaller containers as they run out, then I'll add to my big laundry container from 1 of the 2-2 gal jars (with a plate for a lid) full of gel. My daughter thinks it looks gross LOL, so I gather that is the seal of success.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeeJayRose
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2011 09:17:22 PM »

My cousin and I made some yesterday and after 24 hours the bottom half of the bucket is gelled but the top half is still liquid? Would it gel up if I left it sit longer?

If it doesn't, should I just use like I would if it was a gel? Like dilute by half when I put into old detergent bottles and use like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2011 01:34:13 AM »

Just another idea: I re-use dryer sheets also. In a wire lock jar above my washer I keep a dilution of 1:1 water and fabric softener and a bunch of dryer sheets (like bounce).

I purchased my last box of dryer sheets over two years ago and after they came out of the dryer I tossed them into a bag to keep. I put a handful at a time in the jar with the liquid softener. Before I use one I shake the jar, take one out, pull it through my fingers to squeeze out extra liquid and toss it into the dryer. You can do this multiple times with the same sheet.

I think I missed this idea before, how cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2011 01:38:56 AM »

I hope this is not a redundant question.
I made my first batch of homemade laundry soap from a different recipe I found online a couple months ago, and it turned out... kind of like eggdrop soup?  Huh

brogan, I followed the recipe in this tute and got a result that I think matches your eggdrop soup description. I'm wondering...in your first attempt, which soap did you use? I used Ivory, and I'm wondering if a more laundry-specific soap turns out better?

The only thing I did differently from the tute posted here was to put the borax and washing soda in the bottom of the bucket, THEN fill it half-way with water, then add the melted soap mixture. I stirred for awhile, but never had it feel very thick, even at that point.

Anyway, I used some of it today, making sure to mix up the weird gel lumps with the clear liquid as much as possible, and my dirty dish cloths came out smelling perfectly clean. I think that's a pretty good test!

This is pretty random, but I was just reading some old notes I had on a similar recipe from a years back, and it very specifically said to mix the melted soap mixture into the water, and then to add the powders (borax/washing soda). I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but apparently it was enough to make the original author make a note of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2011 01:53:47 AM »

My cousin and I made some yesterday and after 24 hours the bottom half of the bucket is gelled but the top half is still liquid? Would it gel up if I left it sit longer?

If it doesn't, should I just use like I would if it was a gel? Like dilute by half when I put into old detergent bottles and use like that?

How did it turn out? Hope it gelled up for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeeJayRose
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2011 01:01:11 PM »

How did it turn out? Hope it gelled up for you!

Only the bottom half gelled. The top didn't but I've been using it and it seems to be working pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting12345
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2011 01:31:12 PM »

Hi. I am new to the blog but I wanted to add a comment about the soap going bad over time (  old or bad smell). When I previously made hand lotion the recipe that I used called for using;

1) boiled water to kill any germs that cause spoilage...
2)Perhaps distilled water could also be used...
3)or try adding hydrogen peroxide after cooling the mixture...
4)perhaps even grapefruit oil from health food store...
5)or drops used in camping to disinfect your water...

Hope this is useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Red Eye Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Red Eye
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Select Color Ranges in Hue/Saturation
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Specify Colors in Hue/Saturation
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Modify Colors with Hue/Saturation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...