A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOTH DIAPERS: HOW TO?  (Read 1063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 09, 2010 04:41:14 PM »

OK, so, I am due in July and I NEED to use cloth diapers, plastic are absolutely out of the question.

I would like to make my own, but after doing some online research I am completely confused about many things.

What kind of fabric should I use?
How many layers of fabric?
Should I make liners?
If I make liners, what do I make them out of?
Should I invest in the snap machine or just go with pins?
How many should I make?
Any other tips?

Please help me, this is my first and I have no real life peers that have done this before me...

Slugs are just homeless snails.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010 01:13:38 PM »

What kind of fabric should I use? this one all depends on what kind of dipes you plan on making. I like to make fitteds. They aren't water proof and need a cover over them. You can use just about anything that is cotten you have around the house if your trying to be frugal about things. Old tshirts are some of my fave to use.
How many layers of fabric? this all depends on the size you are making. newborns don't need as much as bigger sizes due ot the fact newborns are changed more often and have smaller pees over all. i like to do at least 4-6 layers in newborns
Should I make liners? again this is  up to you. if you make them you can add into the dipes if you have a heavey wetter and i find that they dry pretty fast as you can use less layers in the dipes over all.
If I make liners, what do I make them out of? same as what you make the dipes from, flannel, birdseye, just about anything cotten,, hemp or bamboo
Should I invest in the snap machine or just go with pins? you can get snap pliers from Kam. they are good for home use.
How many should I make? this all depends on how often you plan to wash. newborns get changed about every 2 hr so at least 12 to get through a day is needed. however if you make more you can go  longer between washings wich can be nice during those early sleepless days.
Any other tips? relax and have fun making them! i'll be happy to help you with any other questions you have. just pm me if you want.

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010 09:45:14 AM »

One of the back issues of Ottobre magazine has a big thing on cloth diapers, and they also have a free online pattern.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010 05:21:15 AM by kjlutz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010 04:07:16 AM »

Here: http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/diy.php
you will find illustrated instructions for making pocket diapers and fitted diapers, and free patterns.

Fitteds are just made from any absorbent fabric, and do require a separate waterproof cover. Pockets (what I use) are made from a waterproof outer fabric (generally PUL, you get it online) with a "stay dry"  inner layer (microfleece is commonly used (it's just thin polar fleece)), they have an opening which you stuff with absorbent material (you can use cotton, specialty fabrics that are used include bamboo and microfibre, which are more absorbent)

Hook and loop tape (aplix or touchtape are better options than velcro) can be used instead of snaps

For a newborn, I would probably start with prefolds and covers, you can alternate between two covers during the day, and the prefolds can be reused as pocket stuffers later on. You can make prefolds yourself, they are just rectangles of absorbent fabric. http://www.fernandfaerie.com/sewing_prefolds.html  They can just be laid in the cover, if the cover is sufficiently tight. (I have used an unstuffed pocket as a cover, you could also make them using a pocket pattern and eliminating the opening)

How many you need depends a bit on how often you want to do washing, I'd allow for 12 changes per day for a newborn, 8 is more than enough for a 6 month old.

I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010 05:53:43 PM »

This is a fantastic forum for everything diaper related.  There are women that make diapers for sale or their own use, and some that actually design and give free paterns or just want pattern testers.  I can almost guarentee that any queestion you have can be answered here.  And its a really fun community to be a part of (much like this one!)

I was lucky enough to be freecycled a whole bunch of cloth diapers and inserts.. I really didnt like the diapers as they were way too bulky and needed covers.  So I made my own pockets using a simple free patern (tighty whity hipster), using fleece for the outter and velour for the inner (soo soft and wicks the moisture away from the bum)  I find that the fleece that I use is good enough that I dont need covers, But I change regularly, and hold her often, and I am able to tell she is wet without it soaking right through.  But if I need a little extra security I put her in fleece pants and there have been one or two times when shes blown out of the diaper and the fleece pants have kept me safe. Smiley

I much prefer snaps on my diapers, but I dont have a snap press, since I only make a few diapers at a time I just get the ones that you pound together and they work great for me.  You can also use velcro as well.  I started with velcro but found that no matter what you do they get stuck together and collect lint, and I also found that somehow it alway ended up touching her skin and irritating her..
congratulations and good luck!

*WARNING*  diaper making is EXTREAMLY addictive, and even if your doing it to save money, eventually you may find yourself spending craploads on super cute diaper fabrics.. lol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Do Lab Designer Josh Flemming Is Taking Art to New Heights
The Flow of Contemporary Art Thought
3 Doodler Printer Hands-on
Costume Designer Ruth Carter LIVE
Bringing the Four Seasons Pool Room Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...