A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: where to buy cardboard tubes to roll fabric on?  (Read 13729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010 08:09:50 AM »

When I worked at Joanns, we sold the long tubes for home dec fabric if people asked, but gave away the rectangular bolts for free.  Reason being we needed to use the long tubes to roll customers home dec fabric back onto, but the square ones were garbage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glamboots
Uncommon Sense

The impossible takes a bit longer.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010 02:01:47 PM »

Here's another possible source, where I just got about two dozen for free: a local upholstery shop. We needed bunches of long tubes for a science fair project and a local auto upholstery shop had so many stuffed in a big barrel we could barely get them out! He was happy to get rid of them. Try auto upholstery, but also a regular furniture upholstery shop should have them, too, especially if they do a booming business. I keep all my vinyl on tubes so it doesn't fold, and I've never had a problem finding tubes at these places. Good luck. Check the phone book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really wanted to do it, you'd find the time.
fochaux
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010 12:14:07 PM »

have you thought about going to a Home Depot or Lowes and getting PVC piping cut to your preferred lengths?  would be more expensive (but probably reasonable) and would last longer than the cardboard tubes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010 12:16:17 PM »

I have tubes that I got for free from a local drapery shop...they had hundreds laying in their cutting room but youhave to ask them to set them aside else they will pitch them and smash them into the dumpsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
costumesaremylife
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010 08:37:18 PM »

Sometimes I get them from Winmill fabric in Chinatown Boston.  I've never asked for twenty, but they have on occasion given me the tubes,  which we call bolts, because a bolt of fabric comes on them.  It's worth a shot to ask. The people that work there are quite nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010 07:49:57 PM »

Since it is primarily home dec fabrics that come on rolls, concentrate your search on home decorating fabric stores.  They are likely to have what you need.  Another possible source could be an upholestery shop.

If all else fails, you could get PVC piping from the plumbing section (they usually come in 10' lengths).  You can often get the hardware store to cut them down for you (highly recommended) or you can hack through them with a miter saw and box.

I have a couple taking up room in my sewing room...if you were closer you could have them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MidsummerAngel
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010 05:25:51 PM »

I work at a Hancocks fabrics and I can tell you we throw away tons of cardboard bolts all the time.

It's true that we tend to have fewer of the round deco bolts available usually, but if you check back regularly you should be able to get a decent supply.  In most cases you probably want to check back later in the evening after we've done a good deal of business throughout the day.  I know at my store we throw them out every night, so if you come in the morning we won't have anything for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CostumeDesignerMary

will swap for knitted hats and scarves!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010 10:42:34 PM »

^yes! They're called bolts.

I used to work in a JoAnn store, and they are also very happy to give them to you for free. We usually just threw them in the compactor anyway. I took about 30 once after a big garment-district fabric binge.

and agreed with ^^^ about the rolls. Smiley

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joe Thread
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011 01:59:27 PM »

Ksew   Hi I am totally new to this site...just became a member so I could reply to your question...I am a canvas fabricator down in NJ...I have tubes left & right they are all 60" long...you are more than welcome to them but we would have to ship them up Fed-Ex ground and I don't know how much that would cost...it is the cheapest way...I wish you were close by ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafts1001
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011 02:17:00 PM »

Phoenix of Anderson recycles them and would probably sell and ship them to you at a great price.
www.phoenixofanderson.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Texture
How to Photograph a Stranger
How to Use Wide Angle For Sharper Images
How to Use Window Light as a Beauty Light
How to Utilize the Visual Power of Red
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...