A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,763
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Signature Cosmetic Bag for Mothers' Day (w. Tutorial)  (Read 5258 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

guessica
« on: May 03, 2005 10:32:53 AM »

This is my gift to my Mommy for Mother's Day.  It's a bag made with an initial in her own handwriting, and lined with plastic (should things get messy with her maquillage).  The "S" is for "Sandi."  It's my first intarsia and isn't perfect, but all in all I'm satisfied!  

The great thing about bags is that dimensions don't matter too much.  Yours will vary depending on the size of your yarn and your chart.  Here's what to do:

(1)  Solicit handwriting from the recipient in thick marker (if it's a surprise, reassure them that you won't be defrauding anyone!)

(2)  Scan handwriting sample and run through knitpro freeware charting application.  You'll have to play around with the image size until you get the number of stitches on the chart you're seeking.  I used this:

I had to crop out the rest of Mom's signature, because the letters were too narrow to chart well.  It became this (except larger):

(3) Complete front panel according to chart.  You could also knit one long piece for front and back panels, to avoid having to sew the bottom seam.

Here's my front panel.  Baby's first colorwork:

I'm not thrilled with the colorwork, but I started over like three times and couldn't bear to do it again to fix the bumpy spots.  I don't know whether it's possible to get a smooth edge at this gauge on a letter so curvy.  If it is, I'm too lazy to figure out how (sorry Mom!).

(4)  Knit a matching back panel in a solid color.  

(5)  Sew panels together at the bottom seam.  

(6)  Cut a piece of plastic slightly narrower than knitted piece, and about 2" longer.  

(7)  Sew in zipper.  Sewing in zippers is mucho tricky, and I couldn't adequately explain it.  Try this tutorial.  The only difference is that you'll be sewing an extra lining layer on top of the zipper fabric.  Basically you'll make a zipper sandwich, on either side of the bag, then sew it all together.

(8) Now that you've sewn in both sides of the zipper, you can sew together the sides of the plastic piece to form an inner bag.  

Here's the inside of Mom's bag:

(9) Seam sides of knitted piece as usual.  Stuff in any loose threads or yarn ends (yay!  no need to perform the hated task of weaving in ends).

(10)  Deliver to impressed recipient, who should be thrilled to see her name in lights stitches!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012 01:24:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.figandplum.com/

a plum fine blog, with crafts and news about nothing in particular
bespectacled
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005 12:00:41 PM »

That's wonderful! My maja, and many other lovely ladies I know, would love that!
What did you use for the lining? I know you said plastic, but like a plastic sandwich bag?? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
guessica
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005 12:03:18 PM »

That's wonderful! My maja, and many other lovely ladies I know, would love that!
What did you use for the lining? I know you said plastic, but like a plastic sandwich bag?? Smiley

Grin Thanks!

I used some plastic material I found at JoAnn, but a cut-up shower curtain liner would work just as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chris_wass
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005 01:10:16 PM »

Great idea! I love the personalization of using the recipient's own writing. This is a small enough project that other people could still finish in time for Mother's Day. Thanks for sharing!

Blocking the knit before finishing should help the intarsia lay flatter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
guessica
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005 01:57:23 PM »

Great idea! I love the personalization of using the recipient's own writing. This is a small enough project that other people could still finish in time for Mother's Day. Thanks for sharing!

Blocking the knit before finishing should help the intarsia lay flatter.

ah yes, blocking did flatten it, and i'm glad i did it (i actually just took a steam iron to it rather than washing).  the problem is really with my execution of the chart itself - at points the line is too narrow.  but... next time!

glad to provide a mom's day idea!

j
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xiuxiu
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005 02:25:15 PM »

Love the plastic lining idea.
Thanks for the url to the zipper tutorial, I've been wanting to sew in zipper for my bags, but I don't know how
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005 04:56:27 PM »

Great project!  Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
rabideloise
Karina

rabideloise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005 07:29:09 PM »

What a great idea!  I think I'll make a zippered glasses case for my mother. She's always losing her glasses...I think I will include a handle as well so she can put it on a purse strap. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love The Damned
littleweasel
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005 07:37:25 PM »

That's such a great idea!  It's very practical, as my mom would say... but anyhow, you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy www.littleweasel.etsy.com
kitten_88
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005 08:01:46 PM »

That is very cool, you did some fab work! Too bad I can't knit, or I'd make my mom one o' those. I guess I'll just have to settle for boring old flowers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:kate:.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Festival De Cannes 2014: Beauty Rendezvous with Dessange and Dior
How to Style a Messy Bun with Flowers
How to Tame Summer Frizz
Change Up Your Look with Hair Extensions
How To Get Effortless Beach Wavy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...