A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jen's budget DIY wedding thread - 8.14.10 - very pic heavy! *updated 5/14*  (Read 4575 times)
Tags for this thread: save_the_date  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hardyjenni
« on: March 08, 2010 05:53:27 PM »

So, in March of 2009, my DH and I got engaged.  We then eloped in June. We've been planning a "real" wedding for August 14, and I just now realized that August is quickly approaching!  Yikes!  I started planning last year (and posted some on the crafty wedding craftalong), but then life got in the way.  Now, I'm working hard to get caught up!  We recently moved to St Louis, but are getting married at the Fort Worth historic YWCA (a BEAUTIFUL venue).  Both the ceremony and reception are at the same site (my grandparents can't get lost!).  

We're pretty poor right now, so no wedding planner and a lot of stuff is being done on a tight budget!  But that's what craftiness is for    So far, I've not completed as many projects as I'd like.  But here's my list.The projects I'm currently planning on doing are:

Save the dates
        We decided to do a mini choose your own adventure book.  DH likes to doodle, so he illustrated most of it.  
        I did the trashcan and the cartoon zombie.  We used clip art for the cover page and the cake.
        It fits our personalities!
        Sorry the photos are so dark!  This is just the prototype.  The real ones had a color cover page.

We also made a simple, more traditional save the date for the grandparents--specifically my Japanese grandmother who would not understand the choose your own adventure one.  It's just a basic photo magnet.

Invites and RSVPs
        I need to get a 220 screen for my yudu so I can screen these and finish them.  Here's the
        Prototype.

the map:

The back of the rsvp card (the print will be in black, not blue):

the front of the rsvp:

Programs
Centerpieces
Hankies for the mothers and grandmothers
Something for the dads (I don't know what, though)
A cupcake stand
Cupcakes and cakeballs - hired a friend to do these
Ring bearer pillow
beaded bouquets for bridesmaids and self
bridesmaids' dresses (got beautiful blue silk from India--a friend brought it back for me!)

beaded boutonnieres (may just do pocket squares)

beaded corsages
Guest "book" (we're having a wish bowl)
favors (undecided on these)
Gifts for bridesmaids
gift for groom
baskets for restrooms

A cake topper (we're having one small tier for the cake cutting part of the reception--see photo below)
        The wires at the bottom stick into the tier.  I tested it out on a loaf of bread and it worked great!  
        They won't be visible at all, which is good since they're ugly!

flower girl basket (got an 80 cent lime green basket after Easter and painted it white.  
        I've included before photos just so you can see the green.  And the photo doesn't do the color justice.  
        It was MUCH brighter!)
before:

after:

garter:

Aisle runner--it needs to be painted, but I need some advice (see my comment below):  

****ADDED 5/14:
I started the drink napkins.  I think I might yudu some with silver ink, too.  Any thoughts?

I started the envelopes, but I only have 8 done so far.  I'm cheating!  I'm printing them out in a very pale colored font, and tracing over them with artist ink pens!  Looks hand done!!!

I'll keep updating as I get more stuff done.  Hopefully, posting this thread will keep me motivated and accountable!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010 02:54:58 PM by hardyjenni » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010 09:23:17 PM »

I love the choose your own adventure book idea! So much so that I was trying to read it from the pictures hahaha! The fact that you are doing it all DIY makes it that much more special Smiley You should comission some friends to help you make other stuff too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frogglin

More Optimistic Than Skilled.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010 10:13:20 PM »

Your save the date cards? Unbelievably awesome. Adore your cake topper too, might have to yoink that idea Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyjenni
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010 09:54:39 PM »

Thanks!

We also did 10 more traditional save the dates for grandparents and such.  I've just updated to include the photo of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Urban Threads

Full tutorials!! http://tiny.cc/tutorials534

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010 01:27:05 PM »

OMG the choose your own adventure thing is brilliant!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like the project?  Check out full tutorials for all posted projects at www.urbanthreads.com
hardyjenni
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010 03:40:29 PM »

Thanks, Urban Threads!

On a different note, I need advice.  I've outlined our monogram on the aisle runner, but still need to paint it.  Our colors are light blue and pink (girly, I know, but I love them together!).  The cherry blossoms on the runner will be pink, with light yellow insides, and a light green-brown stem/branches--like our photoshopped monogram.  But I don't know how to add the light blue to the aisle runner.  Any suggestions?  Since the pink is on there, I'd like the light blue as well, but I'm stumped on this one.  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stevesdiybride
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010 05:26:23 AM »

These are all so nice ! Good Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to run with scissors it makes me feel dangerous
hardyjenni
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010 02:10:09 PM »

Thanks stevesdiybride!  I assume Steve is your FH's name.  It's my hubby's name as well!

As far as the aisle runner is concerned, I'm redoing it.  I'm going to have the P in light blue.  I have to redo it anyway, since I accidently set a hot iron on it and melted it.  So I figured this would be a good way to use the blue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jojoparkin
Joanne's profile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010 08:41:52 AM »

Oh my god that's so weird... I'm getting married August 14th, and we're having a cherry blossom theme for the stationery!!! Spooky eh?!
Your craftiness looks fab, I LOVE the aisle runner - what did you use for it? I really really want one for our wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live for clothes <3
hardyjenni
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010 07:28:59 PM »

I bought the plain white aisle runner at Joann's with a coupon for $7.00.  The design was free-handed with a sharpie, and painted in with acrylics.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is a Straight Line Corset
How to Narrow Your Waist Using a Corset
How to Tie a Corset
The Differences Between Cupless Lingerie and a Half-Bra
How to Choose Cupless Lingerie
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...