A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Striped Skirt Tutorial  (Read 109943 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2005 09:37:54 AM »

Hi girls,

Somewhere I read that someone was wondering how to make this type of skirt:

And it's really easy!  I use a serger.  If you don't have one, don't be discouraged.  First see if you can borrow one from a friend.  I believe you can have pretty good results if you use a regular machine with a zigzag but I have never tried it - sorry!

Please select fabric that is nice and stretchy.  There are different types of cotton knits - the 100% cotton fabrics are not the best for this skirt.  Try to find something with a little bit of lycra or nylon for "spring." 

First we will make the waistband.  I have started with a 10 inch wide by 30-inch long strip.

Then I serged up the short sides - right sides together to form a tube.

Then fold the waistband back over itself - wrong sides together and pin all the way around matching the raw edges.  Use a lot of pins!

Now I've cut a 42-inch square of fabric.  This makes a knee-length skirt.  A smaller square will make a shorter skirt.  A 36-inch square is a nice mini.  Place the fabric right side up and just leave it like that for the rest of the steps. 

Okay now HERE is the important part - please pay careful attention - this is it...the BIG SECRET of the skirt.... ARE YOU READY?Huh

All stereos and tv's off please - this takes concentration....

DO NOT scroll down to the next photo yet. 

Find the center of the square - measure with a tape measure and just mark the center point with a pin.  Now look at the square in front of you and remember that you want the stripes to run vertically on the front and back and horizontally on the sides. 

You are going to CUT A SLIT in the square of fabric. 

NOT a circle.  NOT a circle.  NOT a circle. 

How long is the slit?  Measure across your sewn waistband.  Mine started as a 30 inch strip.  After I serged it, it wound up about 13.5 inches across.  So I made my slit 12.5 inches long.  That is - ONE INCH smaller than the length of the waistband.

I placed my measuring tape with the 6.25 mark right at the pin in the center of the square.  Then I cut starting at the 12.5 mark on the tape all the way down to the end.  Now I have a 12.5-inch long slit cut in the dead center of the square with the stripes running PERPENDICULAR to the slit. 

NOW you can look at the photo  Smiley

How's it going so far?  The fun part is next!

With raw edges together I pinned the waisband all the way around to the edge of the slit.  First pin the center back seam, then the front center, the sides and then fill in.  Us a lot of pins and be sure that you have all three layers of fabric edges together.

Here is a close-up:

Remember this is the BIG SECRET of this type of skirt - once you have this down - the possibilities are endless!

Okay - time to serge the waistband.  Work from the inside like this:

Go slowly and be very very certain to remove each pin as you go.

Here is what the serged edge looks like:

Now unfold the waistband and you should have something like this!

If you don't mind the raw edge on the bottom of the hem you can consider it done!  I personally like to add a rolled hem with a slight lettuce-edged finish.  I think it looks a little more whimsical this way:

VOILA!

Please post any questions - I'd be happy to clarify any details.  Please try this skirt.  It is really easy I promise!

Sincerely,
Laura K

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 05:33:39 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loveliness
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005 09:57:48 AM »

Fantastic! It looks great. I have been thinking about making a skirt like this and now I know how to make it. Thank you for the tutorial! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005 10:00:33 AM by Loveliness » THIS ROCKS   Logged
neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005 10:03:55 AM »

ohhhhhhhhh that is so nice!!
question...........couldnt you use this same concept for a shirt also?? tube/pregnancy top??
very nice! i love it!!
darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
eyes of summer

"We are all just prisoners here of our own device"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005 10:20:02 AM »

a rolled hem with a slight lettuce-edged finish.

how did you get the hem to look like it does in the picture? i like it very much!

Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things in this world are invisible, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

my crafty blog: http://www.eyesofsummer.blogspot.com/
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005 10:26:16 AM »

Thanks for your responses.  You can use this technique for lots of things - tops, dresses, etc.  Also, you can use two different fabrics for the waistband and the skirt part.  If you make the waist a little wider you can have more "play" in the waist for folding over or scrunching down.  Seriously - the options are endless.!

The hem is done on the serger.  It is called a "rolled hem."  It's done with three threads instead of the usual four.  Then you tighten the "differential" to cause the fabric to pull a little as it stiches.  This causes the "lettuce edge" effect.  It's not hard at all but it does require a serger. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bespectacled
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005 11:35:23 AM »

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Do you think it would work with a jersey/stretch material for the waistband and cotton or some other type of material for the skirt part itself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005 04:16:14 PM »

Hi Bespectacled,

Thanks for your question.  If the skirt fabric is not stretchy then you won't be able to pull it on.   
But of course I have the solution for that!  Instead of making the skirt part from a big square of fabric you can make a regular gathered or pleated skirt and then attach it to the bottom of the waistband.  Easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

choirgirl
melodramatic photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005 06:02:06 PM »

Great tutorial! Many thanks. I think even I can manage this one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005 07:01:07 AM »

Wow - this is a really funky skirt -I love the colours and stripes, and it looks very comfy.

Would you be able to explain in a bit more detail about how you do the hem?  I've ogt a serger - do you not thread one of the enexles?  Is this somethng that is easy to explain?

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005 07:31:51 AM »

Hi PurpleHeather,

If you have the manual for your serger, just look up the instructions for a rolled hem.  you might even be able to find "lettuce edge."  Meanwhile, here is how I do it on my Bernina. 

Remove the left needle.

Thread the serger as usual: upper and lower loopers and right needle.

Tighten up the stitch length - this is a dial on the right side of my machine.  you are aiming for a solid row of stitching - no space between the stitches - like a satin stitch on a regular machine.  On my machine a 2.5 is a normal stitch length.  For the rolled hem I set it at 1.

On the stitch plate there is a lever that I pull forward for the rolled hem feature.  I'm not sure exactly what this does.... : )

Practice with this first on some scraps.  Adjust if necessary.  If your fabric is stretchy enough you might not need to adjust the differential.  On my machine this is another knob on the right of my machine.  If you turn it one way it PULLS the fabric and stretches it.  This creates the lettuce edge. 

Your best bet is to check your manual for "rolled hem."  This is not hard at all - trust me.  Please try this project!

Take care.

Laura K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyoncé’s Foolproof Makeup Tips That Will Last All Day
How You Should Wear Your Hair For Your Wedding
How to Create A Winged Eyeliner
How To Take A Perfect Selfie
Pixi Blush & Bronzer Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...