A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Medium?  (Read 2600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clashcityrocker
« on: March 08, 2010 08:05:28 AM »

So I'm hearing that this fabric medium stuff you mix with your paint before you stencil a shirt is supposed to prevent the image from cracking later on....is there a specific brand of medium that works best? I haven't begun looking for any yet but I'd kinda like to know what it is exactly I'm looking for Tongue Also, what is the usual price range/bottle size that it comes in? Any help is welcome Smiley

I also live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, if that makes a difference at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You're like Sidney Vicious!"
g0rehouse
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010 05:38:49 AM »

I have tried a few different brands of textile medium and haven't really noticed much difference between them, but I usually stick with Delta just 'cause I like the thicker consistency. Some brands use a 1:1 ratio, but I'm pretty sure that Delta is 1 part medium, 2 parts paint - which would be another reason why I like it, I get more bang for my buck. It usually can be found in 2 oz., 4 oz., and 6 oz. bottles. Depending on the size of the bottle, it usually runs me about $1.99-4.99 USD.

Here is more and/or the same info:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=214378.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=214793.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=265996.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures."

http://blacksheepcreations.etsy.com
clashcityrocker
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010 09:44:36 AM »

Thanks Smiley
I've only been able to find it at my University bookstore, but they want $9.13 for a little bottle...I think it's Liquidtex brand or something...? But anyways, I'll keep an eye open for Delta Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You're like Sidney Vicious!"
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010 11:53:14 PM »

Do you have a DeSerres - nope, just looked, none in Manitoba - but they do ship (and free if it is abve a certain amount)

http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/search/fabric%20medium/page-1/20/2/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 07:32:55 AM »

The few things I've stenciled with FolkArt medium from PLAID have been fine so far. Can't speak for the long-term, though, as these things only went through the wash maybe four times. It was pretty cheap at Walmart (I think it was 4 bucks Canadian?) and although it's very runny in the bottle, it's quite rubbery once dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christysaysrawr
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011 10:43:08 AM »

I've used the FolkArt Textie Medium and it's very thin in consistency, I prefer the Delta brand.
Since Walmart has re modeled their stores and DOWNSIZED their entire crafting section, I haven't been able to find it there.
I have, however found Delta Textile Medium at Micheal's, it's placed in the "Adhesives" section, where all the glues are. It's around five dollars (give or take) for a pretty good sized bottle- about three or four times as much as the Folk Art Textile Medium bottles I used to find at Walmart that were as big as a bottle of regular acrylic paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
gala_apples
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011 02:32:00 PM »

Also from winnipeg, I use ceramcoat from Michaels, because I use ceramcoat paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Prepare a Romantic Meal
Learn how to Cook a Whole Roasted Chili Rub Chicken
Learn how to Make Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
Learn how to make an Heirloom Beet and Vidalia Onion Salad
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...