A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Backing Advice  (Read 510 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sad-ducky
« on: March 10, 2010 12:56:32 PM »

Hi!

I'm making my first ever quilt, made entirely of squares. Once I've sewn the squares together to make the top, how do I attach the "top" to a backing material?

I realise I could just sew the backing and top together (wrong sides) and then flip inside out, but it wouldn't really give a "quilted" feel.

How could I actually *quilt* the backing and the top; should I just sew them together round the edges, then sew along the seams of the squares through both layers?

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with this quilt Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010 08:45:15 PM »

How could I actually *quilt* the backing and the top; should I just sew them together round the edges, then sew along the seams of the squares through both layers?
Essentially, yes.  Look at any quilted item you own--a quilt, jacket, purse, potholder, whatever and see how the front and back are stitched together with a filler layer (batting).  Typically, something you buy would have been done by machine with the obvious goal of simply finishing the item to get to the next one.  When you do it by hand, it is prettier (imho).  If you can go to a quilt shop, look at some on display--mostly these will be machine quilted though, be aware of that.  If you can go to a museum with an old west or pioneer scene on display, you can often view some there too. 

Practice on something small--potholders are great, then a lap quilt, then something more showy. Learning is part of the fun of the process. Enjoy yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
SimplySandy
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010 03:53:35 AM »

When you start quilting, you always want to start in the center and work your way out.  Also, don't so around the edges until you are finished quilting.  There is normally some gathering of the bottom layers, so make sure to cut your batting and backing a few inches larger than the top all the way around.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - Highlighted Face Tutorial
Three Tricks to Achieve Bold Brows with Jeanine Lobell
D.S. & Durga Perfume House
Talk Pretty to Me: Cute Summer Hair and Makeup Ideas
The Pastel Lip Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...