A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: prewashing quilt top?  (Read 565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Padester
« on: March 05, 2010 04:42:54 AM »

I hope this is not a repeat question - I did a search and then looked through a page or two and couldn't find anything that looked like this.

I am planning on making a quilt with a jelly roll, and I know I am not supposed to prewash the pre-cut strips.  But - do I then prewash the quilt top and the backing before making the sandwich and quilting it?  Or do I just leave EVERYTHING unwashed until it's all together?  I am just concerned that the backing fabric might shrink more than the top, that the batting will shrink at a different rate, etc and make the finished product look bad after its first wash.

So - what is the verdict on this??

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010 05:33:01 PM »

Everybody's got an opinion on this, and I think it's been hashed out a fair bit. I fall on the non-prewashing side, personally, as I like the soft rumply look that it gets when everything *does* shrink at a different rate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JTravis10
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010 06:42:33 PM »

Hi There:

You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT pre-wash a top.  There is an ongoing debate about whether or not to pre-wash fabric, but never a top or blocks.  There is only a 1/4 inch seam that will completely fall apart if washed.  I know several people who have made this mistake, and completely ruined there tops.  They were unsalvagable.  Hope that helps. 

Jack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010 05:27:14 PM »

All of the stuff I have read in here so far on prewashing has to do with before you sew it together, not after you've made the quilt top, so thanks for the thoughts on this in particualr! 

Hmmm - hadn't thought about fraying out those 1/4" seams . . .

So - if I don't prewash the jelly roll, and I don't prewash the quilt top, do I then use unwashed yardage for the backing, too?  It will be of unrelated fabric to the jellyroll, so will likely shrink at a different rate yet again. 

Thoughts?  All un-pre-washed?  Or prewash the backing and hope for the best?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JTravis10
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010 05:34:08 PM »

There are 2 ways to handle the fabric not having been pre-washed.  

1.  Just wing it.  I have done this on all my quilts, and it gives a nice wrinkled old-time look that I love.  It is weird because I am usually anal retentive about my quiltmaking, but this one of the few areas where I through caution to the wind.  

or

2.  Wash it on gentle or by hand, and then line dry.  Shrinkage should be minimal.  You can do it in a bathtub with special ph balanced soap (at quilt stores) that is really gentle on the fabrics.  

Good luck. I will never tell anyone what to do-in case it backfires, ha ha.  If it were me, I would leave it all unwashed.  However, I would check small amounts of each fabric for color fastness to make sure none of them will bleed when washed.  I usually snip a small piece of each fabric and wet it together with a piece of muslin.  I rub them together, let them dry on each other, and then see if there was any transfer. 

Jack
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010 05:38:04 PM by JTravis10 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010 05:49:56 PM »

Good luck. I will never tell anyone what to do-in case it backfires, ha ha. 

Cheesy I understand the sentiment! 

I think I will likely just leave it all unwashed and hope for the best.  My jelly roll is mostly lighter-colored, and I'll just get a light-colored backing for it, and then wash it with those color-catching sheets - seem to work pretty well.  Fortunately for me, the quilt I am planning ot make is not horribly big or complicated, so if things go bad in the end, it will not be a waste of too much time and effort!  (Though I really do hate for any of my hard work to be for nothing!)

Thanks for your thoughts! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Tofu is Made
How Chinese Vinegar is Brewed
What is the Origin of Vinegar
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Spicy Tofu Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...