A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A bunch of different things: hearts, figurines, a robot.... **UPDATE**  (Read 1170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: March 07, 2010 05:25:15 AM »

Yesterday I was at home, and I felt like doing some more experiments with the bits of FIMO I still had laying around.
Here's a group pic:

First I'll put this little pendant, it's made of my first very random attempt to make a cane, with the little slices attached over a clear glass bead...

I don't hate it nor I love it, but it was an interesting experiment.

Another one to get out of the way:

This is the tiniest one I made, a little fairy with purple roses along her dress...

This little guy I love, it's so cute... another little angel protecting a heart...

The next guy was inpired by me LOVING this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=337612.0... No way I am yet able to make something that cute, but I wanted to try my hand at a simple robot:

Here's these first pieces together for size:

Here's a bunch of little hearts:

some details:

Now my dilemma is that I really really don't know what to do with them!! The robot will become a cell phone charm, and possibly the little angel with the heart.. but all the little hearts? I tried putting them all together as a bracelet, but I was afraid of damaging them, and also the single hearts got a little lost in the chaos of all together, and they're cute on their own. I really would like to use them somehow, because I like them a lot, but I really hav eno idea yet... suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010 02:36:03 PM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyWings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010 05:43:58 AM »

all so cute!

hearts  maybe you could use them as gift charms.. on christmas, my friend's mom would  tie small xmas ornaments on some of the presents, it made recieving the gift a lil bit funner.

you could put a few on a necklace, cascading down so they don't touch.

make hair danglies with them

earrings

Pins

k i'm out of ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CH4r!ie
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010 06:36:15 AM »

love the robot and hearts, what about getting some of those rings to make wine glass charms out of them, a nice little talking point when you have guests plus they wouldn't get bashed around so much as on a bracelet!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weezie13
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010 06:37:32 AM »

FairyWings posted alot of what I was going to say..

but I'll add Christmas ornaments to hang on
those wire trees that have about 16~20 wire arms
and then you can dangle tiny things from it...

*or Valentines day ornaments or halloween ornaments*

That would be a cute deco to change thru out the holidays..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weeny
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010 06:45:25 AM »

LOVE the robot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Act always as if the future of the universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference"
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010 08:59:11 AM »

Love the variety in the hearts.  Perhaps you could put them all on the top of a wood (or other) box --perhaps painted or clear finished-- in some kind of pattern, perhaps even just in rows.  You could just attach the hearts directly to the box lid/etc with a glue** or you could first "cover" the box lid or whole box with a layer of clay then attach the hearts to the raw clay or baked clay (in that case, I'd use liquid polymer clay as a glue, or kind of bury each heart in a mound of clay to hold them on even more securely since they're not flat-backed).

**Putting them on a box lid wouldn't create too much stress on the adhesive, but I'd still use a stronger-type adhesive like  a 2-part epoxy glue, E6000, or a strong permanent white glue like Weldbond or Craftster's Pick The Ultimate, etc.

Amazed that you put cane slices on a glass bead!  I've seen cane slices and other clay onlays put onto the surface of glass beads as embellishments, but haven't seen any where a bunch of cane slices were applied then flattened.  Would be really hard to get the surface even that way though because it's hard to "roll" a non-round or non-cylindrical bead since the clay slices would be kind of slipping around on the glass more than they would on clay (you could try a layer of white glue that you let dry or tack up to create a little more grab under the slices though).
(If you want to do that again on glass, a smooth round "rod" of some kind like a marker or knitting needle, etc, can be used to roll back and forth over sections of the slices one at a time to create a very smooth surface and join the slices.  Or I like to use a sheet of deli paper or other thin paper on top of the cane slices, one area at a time, and press straight down... then rub around on top of the paper semi-firmly with my finger to make a smooth surface from the individual slices.)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010 09:05:30 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
alhrayth
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010 02:35:33 PM »

Hi evryone and thank you for your suggestions! Some were interesting and I'm keeping them for further pieces or for the still homeless one from this bunch. This is my update on what I did with them so far:

With the one made with the first approximate cane, I made a necklace + earring set that went to my mother:
I just had some purple beads that went well with the pendand, so I made a two strands necklace for it, and I improvised a pair of earrings (because I just know that without the accompanying earrings, the pentant had a lot less chances to be used!):

To the robot and little fairy, I added some clasps so that they can be attached to zippper pulls, little bags or phones...

While on the two bigger hearts & the little winged figurine I put some plain rings, to use them as pendants. I toyed with the idea of using the two hearts as earrings, but they're a little too heavy for my taste.

Without the two big hearts, the remaining ones looked a lot better as a bracelet, IMHO:

I just filled it a little with pink glass beads, white glass beads, little pearls and little silver beads. I am liking this one a lot!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 10:08:30 AM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010 09:28:32 AM »

Good to see them with their new uses!

I'd also love to see some of your hearts on a bracelet or necklace using neutral-colored spacer beads so the hearts would really stand out --maybe more-ivoryish beads or even some light neutral-green ones too to tie in with the green heart, or with much smaller rose/peach beads mixed in or used instead.  Lotsa possibilities!

Diane B.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 10:02:52 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Recreate Grace Kelly’s Classic Oscars Hairstyle at Home
The 4 Hair Trends You Might See at the Oscars
Rihanna’s Loose Waves Hair Tutorial
How to Get Soft Waves Without Heat
Beard Transplant: New Fashion Craze? Really?
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...