A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mad Hatter (with appearances from Alice and The March Hare!) ((Img heavy!))  (Read 3415 times)
Tags for this thread: mad_hatter , alice_in_wonderland  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2010 07:17:08 PM »

When I heard that Tim Burton was making Alice in Wonderland, I FLIPPED! One of my favorite stories combined with my favorite director! Not to mention I about cried in joy when I read the casting list. Alan Rickman?! Christopher Lee?! Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were a given, of course, but Stephen Fry?! Ahh! I instantly knew I had to dress up for the premier!

The Mad Hatter is one of my favorite characters in Alice in Wonderland (as well as The Cheshire Cat. They are about tied in first place...), so I knew I had to be him. I have a thing for hats and odd clothes, and Depp's Mad Hatter had both! How perfect!

The pants were made out of a really hideous long skirt I got from the thrift store a long time ago because I liked the fabric. It was green, with light green pinstripes and some sparkly thread woven in. I used some fabric I got at a yard sale for the vest, but I had to hand sew the buttonholes (something I hated with a passion, but it was during a Supernatural marathon, so it was bearable). I got the buttons from the Dollar Store, the coat and shirt from the thrift store, and the wig from a costume shop.

I sewed lace on the inside of the sleeves, but otherwise the coat was left untouched. I must say, I really do love that coat! I am going to keep the lace on, I think. It makes it more dramatic...

The hat, however, caused me a lot of frustration, Glue fume caused high, and at some points tears. I ended up making four versions of the hat, actually. The first three did not turn out well at all. The fourth, however, was perfect! I glued fabric on it, glued the lace on, and sewed the brim with fabric and a straightened-then-bent wire coat-hanger. It turned out way better than I could have hoped! I also added the pink fabric and the card and feather. It had makeshift hatpins, but I didn't much like the look of them, so I removed them.

I cut some pieces off the top of the wig and attached them to my eyebrows using Spirit Gum. They turned out wonderfully, as did the costume makeup. It lasted for over seven hours without fading!

I go into a lot more detail on how I made the costume itself in my costume blog: http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/apps/blog/show/2939646-the-mad-hatter-in-progress-

However, I will post some pictures of the finished costume here.

Also, I made the skirt for Alice's costume, as well as The March Hare's hat. Smiley

(Candid 'Getting-the-Mail' shot!)  Cheesy

Here is the March Hare's hat. I made and attached the ears to it.

Hope you liked them! I highly recommend the movie! It was a very fun watch and I really enjoyed it!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010 07:17:52 PM by Alexandra-the-Great » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
jasboh
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010 08:14:54 PM »

that is an absolutely amazing costume! i loe the  hat, i love the pants, i love the coat, and i love the waistcoat! All in all, i love every bit of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Serenthia
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010 05:30:35 AM »

Thats super cool! So much detail and awesomeness Cheesy  I hope you werent sitting in front of anyone with the hat on hehe Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010 06:18:46 AM »

I love the giant hat!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010 11:04:30 AM »

I love it! You did a brilliant job on the costumes - you should be very, very proud of yourself! Smiley -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org. uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
GimmickAndBeasties
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010 01:20:18 PM »

Holy crap! That's an amazing Mad Hatter costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gimmick and Beasties on Etsy
Gimmick and Beasties on Facebook

I've shot you Jeff. With a bullet made of Scottish finance regulations.
szuzu1969
PEZ Dispenser

ohhh shiny pretty happy things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010 03:59:49 PM »

I bet it was fun. You all looked great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want something bad enough the entire universe will conspire to help you get it.
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010 06:43:23 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone! It was a blast, though getting the Spirit Gum out of my eyebrows and the facepaint off wasn't nearly as enjoyable. However, it was definitely worth it.

I had the most difficult time looking up (I had to hold my hat on when I did). I couldn't slouch, look straight down, or lean to far to one side or the hat would tumble off. I don't think my posture had ever been as perfect as that night. It was heaven to take the hat off once we got in our seats.  Cheesy

Now, I need to learn how to 'Futterwacken' while wearing the costume. To know the amazingness of what that is, see the movie!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
jericho
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010 09:52:21 AM »

Totally sweet Mad Hatter!!! Your other costumes on your blog are super awesome too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your mom!
Jessii
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010 05:18:08 AM »

Incredibly awesome. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian Billick Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
James Marcus Bach Talks About Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
Jeffrey Deaver Talks About Roadside Crosses
Robert Englund Reveals His Favorite TV Shows
Sheila Weller Talks About Girls Like Us
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...