A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: we like driving on a saturday night, and other stuff what i done made. [picspam]  (Read 1592 times)
Tags for this thread: quote , cross_stitch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beastie
« on: March 06, 2010 06:21:36 AM »

I've been a knitter for quite a while, and decided to try something new for 2010. My mum bought me the Sublime Stitching kit for Xmas, but when it hadn't arrived in time she bought me a cross-stitch kit to keep me occupied until it turned up. It was one of those paint-by-numbers kits featuring Winnie the Pooh, which is really not my kinda style - but Mum did recently admit she only chose that one because it had 'Classic Pooh' written in massive letters across it, and she thought that was hilarious. She's nuts, but I love her.

Anyway, I quickly threw away the Winnie the Pooh chart and went to town with all the materials that came with it. There's a whole bunch of stuff here, and I'm very very sorry to admit that a lot of ideas were stolen shamelessly from Miso Funky, who are wonderful and lovely and much much more original than me.

So, stuff. Sorry for all of the crappy photos, Scotland is not good for natural lighting. Or, lighting at all, actually. This is from one of my favourite Pulp songs, and I made it for my friend and fellow Pulp fan Ella, who has been super-ill with the mumps lately. Found a gorgeously battered frame in a charity shop for 90p! Thanks Dundee. That would've been a fiver in Glasgow.

And a close-up..

This one was made for my Dad, who is a true Swiss army knife of a man. Anything that needs doing, Dad's the man to call.

I still need to finish up on the shading, and I'm trying to work out a way to put a bit of knife in at the top, but I have lots of essays that I need to finish. And should actually be doing right now. Whoops.

This is a small sampler that I did for a very good friend of mine. (Boring emo backstory - we dated for a while last year, but called it off when I moved back to the other end of the country. I'm still in love. Le sigh.) Anyway, for a long as I can remember we've had an injoke about how much of a dick he is, so I thought this would be a nice little thing to stitch up.

This was the first thing I stitched up, and I love it. My flat mate and I are in our early 20s, but both love nothing more than sitting in our PJs on the sofa, drinking cocoa and watching Little Women. Her middle name is Martha, and mine is Maud. We are the oldest 20s on Argyle Street. The 'frame' for it was a cigarette box our friend had in freshers week last year, when we first met. He brought a ton of duty-free cigarettes over, and I just knew I had to do something with the boxes. This one is just covered in a shed-load of decoupage paper, and you can't see it here but the 'front' has a little string heart in one corner.

....and a close up of this one.

And here is where the horrible idea-stealing starts. All of these are designs nabbed from Miso Funky, but none of them will be sold. The 'tea' sampler and the 'ROYGBIV' sampler are both going to my Mum for mother's day, and the 'ships' one is going up on my bedroom wall.

(doesn't have an 'in' yet because I haven't found the right shade, but I'm impatient so I wanted to post it!)

(The anchor is actually a really nice gold shade of thread. My phone is awful for photos.)

C+C welcome, sorry for the pic-spam!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be your teenage jenny agutter, swimming naked in a pond

________

ravelry &
LJ &
last.fm
thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010 06:31:37 AM »

I love your ideas, they're fantastic! Your stitching is really neat too, I'm jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010 09:41:02 AM »

Love the loose lips sink ships. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoyceMachine
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010 08:59:42 AM »

Lovely...I love the "You're a dick" one.

I thought me and my friend where the oldest twenty-somethings in Glasgow...that's a title I we don't mind losing to someone else at all though! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010 09:00:42 AM by BoyceMachine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a garden.  Dig it.

www.wists.com/Boycemachine
emfrsewr
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010 03:18:48 PM »

When I saw the ROYGBIV one I thought you were being clever and not including indigo because it's almost never visible to the human eye!  But otherwise I love your stitching and the way you present it, like the Martha and Maud box idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010 05:52:29 PM »

I love the Pulp quote! I have the song stuck in my head now....
great work too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oceansoul

*Can I Play With Madness*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010 03:35:12 AM »

These are all brilliant!! I looove the "make tea not war" one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stuck in a 16th century time warp...

Blog - http://embroideryemporium.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Set Production Assistant Job Guide
How to Get a Production Assistant Job
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
What the Locations Manager Does On Set
Camera Grip Gear - C-Stands Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...