A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,331
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Life size witch & spider victim decorations  (Read 1911 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaz2phreek
« on: March 05, 2010 07:01:27 PM »

For the past few years I've been living in condo with a closed hallway entrance. There's no where to decorate & no trick or treaters to appreciate it. So I decorate at work. Wish I had more pictures but...

Here's a couple of items as part of key focal points:

A life size, free standing witch.

I created a simple frame from PVC pipe. Leggings & a turtleneck. LOTS of duct tape. Helps if someone loves you enough to indulge your craftiness & help. (I had to do my top on my dress form. Very sad for me.)

The top and bottom are separate. Easier for transportation. I stuffed the duct tape body shell with newspaper around the pieces of the frame.

The head...foam wig head. I took a cheap rubber witch nose. Glued that on. Used puffy (aka fabric) paint around the edge of the nose to create a smoother transition from rubber nose to foam head. Painted the whole thing in cheap, clear, acrylic gloss. Then spray painted. (Spray paint will each the foam.) Took a couple layers of each. Painted a face. Cheap wig (sewing pins with black tops holding it on when in use, otherwise wig is off for storage to keep it "nice".)

Thrift store clothes. Cheap black gloves, lightly stuffed & pinned to the arms under the sleeves.

Very statisfying. She doesn't look life size but she technically is (since I'm 5'0" and she's a smidge taller....)

Other notes: If I had someone to help me, the arms would be better & I'd had done her more hunch-backed. Maybe I'll remake the top part... This is actually not a cheap project. I spent something like $30 on duct tape alone. PVC pipe, paint, foam head, wig, thrifted clothes...some stuff I already had but it wasn't as cheap as I thought it'd be. Still, I like it better than the $60 witch I saw at a store.

Spider Victim: (Blurry picture...sorry. Everything's cover in webbing anyway so...)

This was much easier. Tights & turtleneck stuffed with newspaper. Thicker turtleneck (to disguise lumpy newspaper), jeans & socks. Another foam head. Again, if you spray paint, use an acrylic paint between the layers of spray paint as it'll eat the foam head. Paint a face, cheap wig. I wrapped the body in cheesecloth & some thread to bind it then wrapped some faux webbing around it. (Because I worked in a call center, she's also wearing one of our headsets.) We hung her from the ceiling close to the wall. I "trapped" her against the wall with fishing line & more faux web. Then hung the large spider from the ceiling & posed it over the body.

So, those were my big projects this past Halloween. They ended taking so long, I ran out of time to make a new costume. I wore a costume for the second time for the first time in my life. *Shudders* Never again...never again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Juliana13

smile! it makes people wonder what you're up to

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010 07:58:08 PM »

i love the spider victim! it's great that your boss lets you decorate at work. you just gave me lots of ideas for this year! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you made it, I'll love it!
I'll swap ya for it Smiley
check out my wists www.wists.com/Juliana13
I'm on Pinterest too! use it more than wists.
sum1smuma
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010 09:55:59 PM »

Very creepy!~I love the spider's lair with victim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
grenouille78
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010 03:10:51 PM »

The famous witch! Man, that was a lot of work. And if I had to sit next to that spider, I'd have nightmares for the rest of my life. ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 06:43:13 PM »

gren, thanks for making a point of checking out my witch & stuff. That's so sweet of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Lyrics in a Scrapbook
How to Scrapbook an Autograph
How to Sell Scrapbooks Online
How to Select the Right Album for a Scrapbook
How to Remove Rubber Cement from Scrapbook Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...